Author Topic: USDA proposes stricter requirements for keeping kids fat  (Read 2069 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
USDA proposes stricter requirements for keeping kids fat
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »
http://www.smartbrief.com/news/diabetespro/storyDetails.jsp?issueid=00183FB1-47FC-44AB-82C0-D0277850FC4E&copyid=B406070C-EA79-4AB4-9619-85FF4755E2C4&campaign=twitter&ref=twitterB406070C-EA79-4AB4-9619-85FF4755E2C4

USDA proposes stricter requirements on school snacks
There shouldn't be more than 200 calories in snacks sold to students from vending machines or elsewhere besides typical school lunches, the U.S. Agriculture Department says. Under proposed rules, schools are encouraged to sell water, low-fat and fat-free milk and 100% juice. Setting higher standards for school snacks would mean "the healthy choice is the easy choice for our kids," Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said.

________________________ ________________________ _______________

This is absurd... chips and candy bars will be healthy in 200cal doses? 100% juice is sugary poison. Kids should drink whole fat milk, and certainly they should never touch chocolate poison milk.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: USDA proposes stricter requirements for keeping kids fat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:53 AM »

Consider who is leading the charge:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »

Consider who is leading the charge:

still better than the last monstrosity

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

still better than the last monstrosity

I didn't mind her so much as the thug cretin she was married to.
Hillary and Laura had class. This current "thing" is just plain horrid.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
They shouldn't have access to snacks at all IMO.

8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »
They shouldn't have access to snacks at all IMO.

8)

All three of us in this thread are the same age (within a few months). I don't know about you gents, but we had chocolate milk and snack foods in our grade school cafeterias, but such a small percentage of our classmates were overweight compared with the numbers today.

I'm convinced there's more to it, and I think it involves a lot more of what happens outside of school. We had video games, but Atari got old after a while, and I remember spending a lot of time outside riding bikes and shooting BB guns in the woods behind my house.

I noticed at our last family gathering that all of the kids at one point weren't even playing with each other, but were slouched on the sofa and floor tapping on their parents' tablets and phones. And, I know for a fact that my cousin's littlest two spend literally hours doing the same thing every day - even when it's nice outside.
When we go camping at the lake, it's the same thing! They're up in the damn tent in the middle of the day watching DVD's. ::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »

All three of us in this thread are the same age (within a few months). I don't know about you gents, but we had chocolate milk and snack foods in our grade school cafeterias, but such a small percentage of our classmates were overweight compared with the numbers today.

I'm convinced there's more to it, and I think it involves a lot more of what happens outside of school. We had video games, but Atari got old after a while, and I remember spending a lot of time outside riding bikes and shooting BB guns in the woods behind my house.

I noticed at our last family gathering that all of the kids at one point weren't even playing with each other, but were slouched on the sofa and floor tapping on their parents' tablets and phones. And, I know for a fact that my cousin's littlest two spend literally hours doing the same thing every day - even when it's nice outside.
When we go camping at the lake, it's the same thing! They're up in the damn tent in the middle of the day watching DVD's. ::)
I remember as a small kid every morning we all got a Bottle of Milk. This was normal in school at 1972...

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

I agree, but i didn't have access to any snacks until 6th grade here in Texas.

I think it has more to do with the sedentary lifestyle kids have today, when i was little all i did was play outside and my parents limited my TV time to 1 hour a day max, even on the weekends. We rode bikes, played sports and just spent time in the backyard building forts and climbing trees. I almost never hear of kids doing this today unless they live out in the country.

We did have chocolate milk and that's all i drank throughout grade school, so i agree with what you are saying, however i feel that limiting the access young children have to foods they don't know any better to eat might be a good idea. However if the parents never teach the kids to stay away from junk, they are just going to eat it at home anyway so it's useless.

I was at a family event a few weeks ago and the weather was perfect outside, yet every single kid was watching a tablet or playing a hand held video game.

I couldn't imagine camping with video games, we used to go all the time and it was the most fun we had all year running through the woods and riding bikes. It's crazy how much things have changed in the last 20-30 years.

8)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
I think it has more to do with the sedentary lifestyle kids have today...

Without a doubt.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
I didn't mind her so much as the thug cretin she was married to.
Hillary and Laura had class. This current "thing" is just plain horrid.

x2

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

bang on... the fat kids at my school were the ones who sat down for most of the day... same trend today

ban chairs

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
bang on... the fat kids at my school were the ones who sat down for most of the day... same trend today

ban chairs

Oddly enough, i was going through some of my old stuff a few weeks ago and remembered seeing my grade school and junior high year books.  So i pulled them out last and flipped through them for a few minutes, i spotted maybe 5 overweight kids out of at least 2-300 normal kids.  I only remember a handful of overweight kids from junior high so this seemed to hold true.

Ban chairs. ;D

8)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
Parents aren't making wholesome nutritious meals at home either.  With both parents working, it's common for one of the parents to grab something quick on the way home.  We do not do this at my house.  We make food and eat together at the dinner table. I blame the parents for not teaching their kids healthy eating habits and making them go outside.

A

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
Parents aren't making wholesome nutritious meals at home either.  With both parents working, it's common for one of the parents to grab something quick on the way home.  We do not do this at my house.  We make food and eat together at the dinner table. I blame the parents for not teaching their kids healthy eating habits and making them go outside.

ban parents