Author Topic: Investments  (Read 2898 times)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: Investments
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
He who cares less wins in the game of getting women.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »

The old guy gives great advice. Especially all the eggs in one basket. That one bit me about 15 years ago. Live and learn.

I don't disagree, though I've increasingly come to think that most people have no business personally managing their investments and instead ought to have a basic retirement account that functions as a "lifetime fund" that automatically adjusts asset allocation. The more automatic mechanisms (automatic removal of contributions from paycheck, automatic asset adjustment, etc.) the better!

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »
Yes do what he says and you will end up being a grumpy wee bawbag too.

We all go to our graves with nothing. Even Mr Buffet.  But at least some of us enjoy our lives.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »
Good stuff, but very non-specific.

I no longer do stocks or currency trading.....it is akin to poker.  There are poker pros who can make a living doing it.....I've not invested the time to be a poker pro, so to try and make a living at it is a foolish endeavor for me.

Silver and gold are alright, I mostly hold silver.....but...if things get really bad, I just don't see silver, gold, or any other precious metal exceeding the value of food, land, fortified shelters, or ammunition.

I like real estate.  I own a few properties.  I also have minority ownership in a pest control and painting company.  I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but just the fact that I'm in my early 30s and own stuff is a big accomplishment to me.

Savings.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!  Everyone is like Save, Save, Save, Save.....DON'T!  If you have an extra $500 laying around, think how can you earn more from that?  Don't throw it in a bank or under the mattress......spend it and GROW IT!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 03:47:15 AM »

I no longer do stocks or currency trading.....it is akin to poker.  There are poker pros who can make a living doing it.....I've not invested the time to be a poker pro, so to try and make a living at it is a foolish endeavor for me.

Silver and gold are alright, I mostly hold silver.....but...if things get really bad, I just don't see silver, gold, or any other precious metal exceeding the value of food, land, fortified shelters, or ammunition.

I like real estate.  I own a few properties.  I also have minority ownership in a pest control and painting company.  I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but just the fact that I'm in my early 30s and own stuff is a big accomplishment to me.

Savings.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!  Everyone is like Save, Save, Save, Save.....DON'T!  If you have an extra $500 laying around, think how can you earn more from that?  Don't throw it in a bank or under the mattress......spend it and GROW IT!

Agree with most you said except the bold. Metals are doing great NOW but don't have a long track record of winning. You are right about single stocks being like poker that's why mutual funds are great.  Your last statement about investing rather than saving is great!

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

Solid post. What do you do for a living, not to get too personal.
#

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »
Do you agree or disagree.

-Discuss
coca-cola stocks are making some good money the last three weeks or so check out the stock market. this is how ty cobb became very, very rich oh so many years ago.
F

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:12 AM »
Solid post. What do you do for a living, not to get too personal.

Navy and USCG vet, was a state Probation Officer, private security management(I was Security1's Boss), then painted cars, now am doing high-end security and investigations.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
I listened to him on GE stock......  :-\