Author Topic: El Paso, TX (safest city in US) vs Chicago (highest murder rate)  (Read 754 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
El Paso, TX (safest city in US) vs Chicago (highest murder rate)
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:32 AM »
How is it that El Paso, TX, which borders Ciudad Juarez (long one of the most dangerous cities in the world and among the top 10 most violent cities in Mexico) is safer than Chicago, IL (a city in the north of the US and which also has the highest murder rate in the country)?

Interesting note: El Paso, TX has lax gun laws and Chicago has the strictest in the country. But that couldn't be why, could it

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: El Paso, TX (safest city in US) vs Chicago (highest murder rate)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
May have something to do with the military base right there.  :D

Seriously though, my friend and his wife lived their for several years during their stint in the Army, and just moved back... they said it was a fucking shithole and the cartels ran rampant, and that the Mexicans were constantly shooting each other. Maybe they don't count illegal immigrants in their crime stats?  :D

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
May have something to do with the military base right there.  :D

Seriously though, my friend and his wife lived their for several years during their stint in the Army, and just moved back... they said it was a fucking shithole and the cartels ran rampant, and that the Mexicans were constantly shooting each other. Maybe they don't count illegal immigrants in their crime stats?  :D

I thought it was pretty nice out there....but that was 15+ years ago.

Isn't there a town in Texas where carrying a gun is mandatory?  I wonder what their crime rate is.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »

Isn't there a town in Texas where carrying a gun is mandatory?  I wonder what their crime rate is.

There may be, but the citizens of Kennesaw, Georgia are required to carry guns.  They've not had a murder for many, many years and violent crime rate is almost zero outside the very occasional domestic dispute.

Gun laws and availability of guns have nothing to do with violent crime rates.  Anyone who compares the two either have no knowledge of the subject, or have something to gain.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »

It be safe to say most texans are packing mandatory or not in any city, they don't fuck around when it comes to guns...