Author Topic: John Grimek before the steroid creeps took over  (Read 16056 times)

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

John Grimek before the steroid creeps took over
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »

Even after all this time his pics look better than the steroid bloated creeps of today. No steroids and the man looked just sensational.

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

Re: John Grimek before the steroid creeps took over
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »

Amazing what a barbell can do. No steroids needed.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
  PED

Performance Enhancing Drugs

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
  PED
Wrong. He dated only adult women, and eventually married one. Get lost pervert!

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
  Old Vince G. also told me in person at his gym on Ventura

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
All ox testicle injections straight from the tap.

Wolfsanglerune

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
damn man you gotta quit...Grimek used like all his peers.
if it came out he did gay for pay or was alcoholic would that be better than using hormones?
just sayin.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
  Vince G. told me straight up

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 04:00:22 AM »

Even after all this time his pics look better than the steroid bloated creeps of today. No steroids and the man looked just sensational.

Never been a fan, and everyone talked of Grimek like he walked on water

Just another bber, no steroids?! LOL.....

Powerful looking physique, but only looked good in two or three signature poses

They were lucky to have lived outside the information age, that's all

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 04:26:32 AM »
He competed in the 1936 Olympics in Germany. He was going to compete as a light heavy weight but they wouldn't allow him in that weight category because of a strange rule they had then. He competed just one time as a heavy weight so according to the rules then you could never go down to a lower weight class. He would have easily won his class. He would have been an Olympic Gold medalist, Mr. America and Mr. Universe.

He was a legend in the game. Like all his contemporaries he trained his whole body in one shot when he lifted. He was built like a brick house his whole life. I doubt he juiced from the 30's,40's,50s,60's,70's and 80's.

Fans of steroids have this mentality that anyone and everyone uses. It's to excuse how they look like crap without drugs. Yes, there are hard working guys who are muscular and strong without drugs. The first anabolic steroid was invented around 1958.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 04:32:02 AM »
He competed in the 1936 Olympics in Germany. He was going to compete as a light heavy weight but they wouldn't allow him in that weight category because of a strange rule they had then. He competed just one time as a heavy weight so according to the rules then you could never go down to a lower weight class. He would have easily won his class. He would have been an Olympic Gold medalist, Mr. America and Mr. Universe.

He was a legend in the game. Like all his contemporaries he trained his whole body in one shot when he lifted. He was built like a brick house his whole life. I doubt he juiced from the 30's,40's,50s,60's,70's and 80's.

Fans of steroids have this mentality that anyone and everyone uses. It's to excuse how they look like crap without drugs. Yes, there are hard working guys who are muscular and strong without drugs. The first anabolic steroid was invented around 1958.

No

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »
PED

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »
With Grimek, there is a chance he was natural outlier for much of his career. I would allow for perhaps use/testing in the late 40's.

Here are his measurements from his peak years -

Year   Name   Height   Weight neck arm   forearm chest waist thigh calf wrist    ankle -

1940/1941   John Grimek   5'8.5"   195   17   17.5    14   47   31   25   17   8   9.8

Given that most bodybuilders numbers are fudged, and that there were much looser bodyfat standards, those numbers don't seem outlandish.

Here are pictures from the 1930's -

and 1940, 1941 -

Credit  Muscle Memory.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:21 AM »
anyone who knows anything about steroids knows grimek was natural

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:58 AM »
  Vince G. told me straight up
That's wonderful. Was he sober that day?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 05:21:31 AM »
anyone who knows anything about steroids knows grimek was natural

The reason why anabolic steroids were invented in 1959 was because the Soviets Olympic lifters were injecting the only androgen steroid available; a straight testosterone derivative. The side effect  of using high doses was prostate enlargement. Some of the Soviets had to be catheterized so they could urinate it got so bad. Dr.Ziegler who was the physician of the US weightlifting team convinced Ciba chemists to come up with a testosterone that had more anabolic properties and less androgenic properties. They came up with the first anabolic steroid Dianabol. The success of this drug led to a lot of other anabolic steroids being developed. Dianabol was first introduced to athletes through the York Olympic lifting team that had all the best Americans weightlifters. A few years later it spread to bodybuilders.

Dr. Ziegler on his death bed recorded this statement,  "I wish I had never heard the word steroid... All these young kids... they don't realize the terrible price they are going to pay."

To bad kids on this board who are fans and users of steroids have such strong rationalization concerning their own use. They will cycle on and off for years until they have problems.  

Purge_WTF

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:47 AM »
I remember reading how Larry Scott took two D-Bol tabs a week for the eight weeks leading up to the Olympia. Times have changed.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »

The mantra of the genetically inferior.      Good post.
H

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
 :)
F

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
The reason why anabolic steroids were invented in 1959 was because the Soviets Olympic lifters were injecting the only androgen steroid available; a straight testosterone derivative. The side effect  of using high doses was prostate enlargement. Some of the Soviets had to be catheterized so they could urinate it got so bad.

There is something wrong with this story. Do I need to elaborate?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
Just as a point of fact, Methyl Testosterone tablets (10mg) were popular and openly sold during the late 1940's. Any post WWII bodybuilder might of played with them.

Here is an ad from 1948, they were removed by the FDA in the early 50's -

http://books.google.com/books?id=fiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA258&dq=methyl+testosterone&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L4gaUbmvEpOn0AH6_IGwCw&ved=0CEAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=methyl%20testosterone&f=false .

Paul De Kruif's 1945 book "The Male Hormone" and WWII research made them popular.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
Just as a point of fact, Methyl Testosterone tablets (10mg) were popular and openly sold during the late 1940's. Any post WWII bodybuilder might of played with them.

Here is an ad from 1948, they were removed by the FDA in the early 50's -

http://books.google.com/books?id=fiYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA258&dq=methyl+testosterone&hl=en&sa=X&ei=L4gaUbmvEpOn0AH6_IGwCw&ved=0CEAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=methyl%20testosterone&f=false .

Paul De Kruif's 1945 book "The Male Hormone" and WWII research made them popular.

^^
I would have sent for 20 bottles ASAP, when can we get a time machine guys??? :'(