Author Topic: People who had no business being wrestlers  (Read 25366 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: People who had no business being wrestlers
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »
Stoppa and I were talking about that exact same thing, just today.  Andre is one that was decent at an early age, and later on should be forgiven for being weak just because he was Andre The Giant.  I still say that all things included, he was the most popular wrestler of all times.

He was certainly the most popular for "a" time. Andre was not just recognized, but KNOWN mainstream before wrestling was mainstream, which is a unique accomplishment for the period in which he came up. Yes, times were different back then, but nobody else in the industry had the worldwide notoriety that Andre commanded.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »

He was certainly the most popular for "a" time. Andre was not just recognized, but KNOWN mainstream before wrestling was mainstream, which is a unique accomplishment for the period in which he came up. Yes, times were different back then, but nobody else in the industry had the worldwide notoriety that Andre commanded.

That's what made WrestleMania 3 so compelling and probably why McMahon desperately wanted the Hogan-Andre match.

Why this match gets panned so much by today's wrestling fans is beyond me. For its time, the match was awesome. Yes, it was slow-paced. But this was the 80s, where Hogan could get a pop just for shoving his opponent (we saw a taste of that when he faced Rock at WM18).

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:31 AM »
That's what made WrestleMania 3 so compelling and probably why McMahon desperately wanted the Hogan-Andre match.

Why this match gets panned so much by today's wrestling fans is beyond me. For its time, the match was awesome. Yes, it was slow-paced. But this was the 80s, where Hogan could get a pop just for shoving his opponent (we saw a taste of that when he faced Rock at WM18).

I honestly couldn't care less what the new generation of fans thinks. They are also addicted to Twilight and Justin Beiber, which totally wrecks any credibility in their taste and judgement.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
andre roussimoff as you know . i am 6 foot 3 inches tall and saw him close . a full head taller than me . . died 1993 . so many years already ago .

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

I honestly couldn't care less what the new generation of fans thinks. They are also addicted to Twilight and Justin Beiber, which totally wrecks any credibility in their taste and judgement.

It's not just those folks. Remember when WWE did its top ten WrestleMania matches of all time before WrestleMania 20?

Hogan-Andre got an honorable mention but wasn't on the countdown. To me, that's almost blasphemous.

But, one match was there that had no business there, in my view: Michaels-Austin (WWF title).

That match was LAME, with little drama or excitement to it. Everybody and their mommas knew Austin was going to win the title. The only drama to it (shoot) was whether Michaels would make it in one piece to drop the belt.

NO WAY should Michaels-Austin have made the countdown, while leaving Hogan-Andre off it.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
It's not just those folks. Remember when WWE did its top ten WrestleMania matches of all time before WrestleMania 20?

Hogan-Andre got an honorable mention but wasn't on the countdown. To me, that's almost blasphemous.

But, one match was there that had no business there, in my view: Michaels-Austin (WWF title).

That match was LAME, with little drama or excitement to it. Everybody and their mommas knew Austin was going to win the title. The only drama to it (shoot) was whether Michaels would make it in one piece to drop the belt.

NO WAY should Michaels-Austin have made the countdown, while leaving Hogan-Andre off it.

As much as it pains me to say it, the biggest match ever in the US, if not the world.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
Kendall Windham
K

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
Kendall Windham

TERRIBLE,SOME OF THE VON ERICHS AND COUSINS,HORNSWAGGLE,I DO NOT LIKE WHEN WCW PROMOTED MOVIES OR SPORTS AND HAD KARL MALONE OR ARQUETTE IN THE RING PUTTING GUYS DOWN,WWE DOES IT TOO TYSON,HE WAS LEGIT BUT STILL AND ALL THE ROTATING GM'S 2 YRS AGO THEY WOULD RING TIME FOE A FEW MINUTES AND PULL APUNCH OR GET SLAMMED ,,,

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »
Once when Booker T was in this middle of one of his "5 time!  5 time! 5 time! ..." rants  ::)   HHH countered with a list of some of the "great champions of your federation" ...  david arquette, vince russo, etc
K

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
TERRIBLE,SOME OF THE VON ERICHS AND COUSINS,HORNSWAGGLE,I DO NOT LIKE WHEN WCW PROMOTED MOVIES OR SPORTS AND HAD KARL MALONE OR ARQUETTE IN THE RING PUTTING GUYS DOWN,WWE DOES IT TOO TYSON,HE WAS LEGIT BUT STILL AND ALL THE ROTATING GM'S 2 YRS AGO THEY WOULD RING TIME FOE A FEW MINUTES AND PULL APUNCH OR GET SLAMMED ,,,

Russo booking:

World Champ - David Arquette
(Half) Tag-Team Champ - Judy Bagwell

Russo did some daft shit, but remember that Turner okayed everything. I blame "Billionaire Ted" for WCW's demise more than Russo.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
Once when Booker T was in this middle of one of his "5 time!  5 time! 5 time! ..." rants  ::)   HHH countered with a list of some of the "great champions of your federation" ...  david arquette, vince russo, etc

Wasn't Helmsley on the shelf, when Booker T arrived as WCW champion? And, wasn't he World Champion by the time he started feuding with Booker T?

BTW, shouldn't his rants be "6 time! 6 time!......." after his last reign (ALL HAIL KING BOOKER!!!!)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
I HATED Goldberg, and everything about him, just ast Stoppa.  But why would you say he had no business being a wrestler?  He certainly made it.  I'm not arguing with you here, you obviously know way more about the business than I, just a curious question. 

Goldberg hurt several guys, Bret Hart being one.
He couldn't work. But, he was over. Maybe I'm wrong. It does happen from time to time.. LOL

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
Goldberg hurt several guys, Bret Hart being one.
He couldn't work. But, he was over. Maybe I'm wrong. It does happen from time to time.. LOL

I got it.  I remember that, and see what you mean now.  I couldn't stand him.  I imagine it would be fairly easy to get over if you are loved by the promoter and given a push that you can't be beat.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
I got it.  I remember that, and see what you mean now.  I couldn't stand him.  I imagine it would be fairly easy to get over if you are loved by the promoter and given a push that you can't be beat.

It also helps when you have your chants piped thru the PA system.

I am also going to say Zach Ryder, can't act, can't wrestle...woo-woo-woo deez nuts! He is the 2010 version of Steve Lombardi and Barry O

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »

X2

So much of it comes down to the push you are given. Look at Vader's tenure at WWF during the mid to late 90's. He had all the makings of a big monster type but never seemed to be backed by Vince and ultimately went nowhere.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
X2

So much of it comes down to the push you are given. Look at Vader's tenure at WWF during the mid to late 90's. He had all the makings of a big monster type but never seemed to be backed by Vince and ultimately went nowhere.

I suspect part of that was because Vince didn't create the Vader gimmick.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »

I suspect part of that was because Vince didn't create the Vader gimmick.

That seems to be quite a trend with Vince, huh?  Everyone here talks about Terry Taylor, and rightfully so, but there was many more.  And I think Taylor could have been a huge star.  Flair is about the only one he didn't completely change.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
That seems to be quite a trend with Vince, huh?  Everyone here talks about Terry Taylor, and rightfully so, but there was many more.  And I think Taylor could have been a huge star.  Flair is about the only one he didn't completely change.
HE MADE KERRY VON ERICH 'TEXAS'TORNADO..LITTLE SPIN,RED ROOSTER WAS EMBARRASSING,,,DOINK THE CLOWN AS BAD AS IT COULD GO A GOOD WRESTLER BOURNE DID OK.KAMALA WAS SAME IN OTHER TERRITORIES HE HAD COOL ENTRANCE WITH ENTOURAGE AND KIMCHI SP?THE HANDLER...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
Kendall Windham

Ouch.  That is going to be hard to top.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
Ouch.  That is going to be hard to top.

He was no Barry for sure, but he did okay I always thought.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »

Yeah that was one of those names that was pointless. When they seen him walking down the aisle for his debut match 90% of the audience didn't give 2 shits about the title "The Texas Tornado"...it was just Kerry Von Erich coming into the ring. "The Texas Tornado" part was completely irrelevant. No part of HIM ever took on that gimmick.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
As much as it pains me to say it, the biggest match ever in the US, if not the world.

Why does it pain you to say that Hogan-Andre was the biggest match ever?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 02:43:17 AM »

Historically, Vince was always much more likely to push guys/characters that he created. As for taking guys who were previously over somewhere else - like Terry Taylor, Harley Race, etc. - and giving them tacky, cornball gimmicks, many folks rightfully speculate that Vince did that for his own amusement and to exercise his power and control.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »

It pains me to give any credit at all to Hogan.  I guess I don't have to because if Andre wasn't in the match doing what he did, it would have been just another match.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »

The Hulk Hogan character was the catalyst behind the WWF machine that not only went against everything that was "traditional" pro-wrestling, but was also making it obsolete by either putting the other outfits out of business, or forcing them to change.

The changes are what enabled wrestling to go mainstream, but purist fans will forever detest losing their beloved product. Many of them directly blame Vince and Hogan.