Author Topic: People who had no business being wrestlers  (Read 25359 times)

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: People who had no business being wrestlers
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

The Hulk Hogan character was the catalyst behind the WWF machine that not only went against everything that was "traditional" pro-wrestling, but was also making it obsolete by either putting the other outfits out of business, or forcing them to change.

The changes are what enabled wrestling to go mainstream, but purist fans will forever detest losing their beloved product. Many of them directly blame Vince and Hogan.

True. But I dislike Hogan for many other reasons.  I give Vince credit for ruining the business as I knew it, and for the silly superhero stuff.  I don't understand how he could bastardize the business his father helped build and that was obviously a big part of his life too.  He sure did make some money though.  Bigger isn't always better, except on Get Big.

I despise Hogan for his backstage stuff, refusal to put anyone over, always having to keep Flair down (admittedly, that might be a little bigger in my mind than actual fact, but it sure seemed that way) and insistence on being the main attraction no matter what.  I think some on here have said different, but I will never be convinced that Hogan didn't see Hall and Nash taking off, and force himself into the nWo.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »
True. But I dislike Hogan for many other reasons.  I give Vince credit for ruining the business as I knew it, and for the silly superhero stuff.  I don't understand how he could bastardize the business his father helped build and that was obviously a big part of his life too.  He sure did make some money though. &guy isn't always better, except on Get Big.

I despise Hogan for his backstage stuff, refusal to put anyone over, always having to keep Flair down (admittedly, that might be a little bigger in my mind than actual fact, but it sure seemed that way) and insistence on being the main attraction no matter what.  I think some on here have said different, but I will never be convinced that Hogan didn't see Hall and Nash taking off, and force himself into the nWo.

Nash himself said that Hogan initially DID NOT want to be part of the nWo. They knew that, for the gimmick to really catch fire, either Hogan or Sting had to defect. Sting DEFINITELY wanted no part of it. Nash thanked Hogan for agreeing to join the crew, and that's when it took off. It made sense, when you think about it. Two of the biggest "WWF new generation" stars were being joined by the WWF's biggest cash cow.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
Nash himself said that Hogan initially DID NOT want to be part of the nWo. They knew that, for the gimmick to really catch fire, either Hogan or Sting had to defect. Sting DEFINITELY wanted no part of it. Nash thanked Hogan for agreeing to join the crew, and that's when it took off. It made sense, when you think abou tit. Two of the biggest "WWF new generation" stars were being joined by the WWF's biggest cash cow.

As I said, I will never believe that, but who am I to question Nash.  I can believe Sting, but not Hogan.  A high-up in the Turner organization at the time told me as much about Hogan. 

I attended quite a few Nitros at the time, and lived on a few boards.  I can tell you that Hall and Nash were way over from the beginning and did not need any help.  All the people I talked to at live events, and on the boards, couldn't care less if Hogan was involved or not.  Stoppa can verify this as well.

Again, not arguing with you, just stating what I believe and saw.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »

The Hulk Hogan character was the catalyst behind the WWF machine that not only went against everything that was "traditional" pro-wrestling, but was also making it obsolete by either putting the other outfits out of business, or forcing them to change.

The changes are what enabled wrestling to go mainstream, but purist fans will forever detest losing their beloved product. Many of them directly blame Vince and Hogan.

Once I got a taste of the WWF, I was hooked. Florida Championship Wrestling (with Gordon Solie) looked so bush-league after that. And, I watched that faithfully for years, as a kid.

And, this was before I actually got to see Hogan. Once he came into the picture, forget it. Since Florida Championship Wrestling was a feeder to the NWA, Ric Flair would show up from time to time. There was a local guy, name Scott McGee, that could always beat Flair in non-title matches.

But, the reason I liked the WWF better was because Hogan looked more like a world champion than Flair did. I mean, it took Flair take an hour to beat Terry Funk; Hogan beat him in 10 minutes and spend the rest of his time, posing to "Real American".

I guess that's part of what you and OLE BIG are saying. All these monster heels in other feds would get fed to Hogan and dismembered, in the time it takes to make popcorn (the old-school way, on the stove).

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
But, the reason I liked the WWF better was because Hogan looked more like a world champion than Flair did. I mean, it took Flair take an hour to beat Terry Funk; Hogan beat him in 10 minutes and spend the rest of his time, posing to "Real American".

Oh, man... You just opened the Suez Canal to a backlash shit-storm! ;D
I'm outta here before Stoppa and OLE BIG see this!!

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »
venom vince vercace

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »

Oh, man... You just opened the Suez Canal to a backlash shit-storm! ;D
I'm outta here before Stoppa and OLE BIG see this!!

Oh boy, where to begin?  Since it would probably take days, I will probably just sit and shake my head.

I sure hope Stoppa does not see that Solie comment.  He will blow a gasket. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Oh boy, where to begin?  Since it would probably take days, I will probably just sit and shake my head.

I sure hope Stoppa does not see that Solie comment.  He will blow a gasket. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think it's fair to say that Vince gave a lot of people what they wanted to see, but it wasn't what everyone wanted. In MCWAY's case, the WWF won some fans over, while others like you and S. preferred your original products.

I've said before that, regardless of our opinions of Vince McMahon Jr., he may have kept wrestling alive. The territories were a dying breed, for the most part, before Vince began his take-over. If VKM hadn't changed the landscape, pro-wrestling may have gone the way of Vaudeville. The only exception may have been JCP, which was hanging on and going strong on the traditional style until Mr. Crockett sold the company to Turner, who...well...you know the rest.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »

I think it's fair to say that Vince gave a lot of people what they wanted to see, but it wasn't what everyone wanted. In MCWAY's case, the WWF won some fans over, while others like you and S. preferred your original products.

I've said before that, regardless of our opinions of Vince McMahon Jr., he may have kept wrestling alive. The territories were a dying breed, for the most part, before Vince began his take-over. If VKM hadn't changed the landscape, pro-wrestling may have gone the way of Vaudeville. The only exception may have been JCP, which was hanging on and going strong on the traditional style until Mr. Crockett sold the company to Turner, who...well...you know the rest.

I don't know that they would have died, and I think he played a big part in killing them.  As I have said before, I can't understand at all his total disregard for those that paved the way for him. 

Obviously, he sometimes has a way of giving people what they want and being able to target certain segments of people.  When the superhero stuff lost it's luster, he went the PG era and we all know how big that was.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
I don't know that they would have died, and I think he played a big part in killing them.  As I have said before, I can't understand at all his total disregard for those that paved the way for him. 

Obviously, he sometimes has a way of giving people what they want and being able to target certain segments of people.  When the superhero stuff lost it's luster, he went the PG era and we all know how big that was.

I think you're leaving out the production value that McMahon had over his competitors. Again, when I watched WWF, compared to Florida Championship Wrestling, The UWF, or even the NWA, it was like night and day.

Plus, let's not forget the Rock-N-Wrestling connection. Yes, the characters were quite cartoonish. But, with a larger-than -life Hulk Hogan character, what organization could compete with that?

That's why I say the Hogan-Andre match at WrestleMania 3 is one of the greatest of all time. The "Slam-Heard-'Round-The-World" is iconic.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
I think you're leaving out the production value that McMahon had over his competitors. Again, when I watched WWF, compared to Florida Championship Wrestling, The UWF, or even the NWA, it was like night and day.

Plus, let's not forget the Rock-N-Wrestling connection. Yes, the characters were quite cartoonish. But, with a larger-than -life Hulk Hogan character, what organization could compete with that?

That's why I say the Hogan-Andre match at WrestleMania 3 is one of the greatest of all time. The "Slam-Heard-'Round-The-World" is iconic.

ROWDY RODDY IN MSG I WAS THERE A KID AN HE BELLOWED'MTV...MUSIC TO VOMIT BY...GRABBED A PLAQUE PRESENTED TO CAPTAIN LOUIS ALBANO AND BASHED IT OVER HIS HEAD,,,MR T WAS 2 ROWS IN FRONT OF ME 'GUESS WHAT HAPPENED???HE ENTERED THE FORAY TOO,,,THE BEGINNING OF HOGAN/T /PIPER FEUD  NEW ERA,,,,

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
ROWDY RODDY IN MSG I WAS THERE A KID AN HE BELLOWED'MTV...MUSIC TO VOMIT BY...GRABBED A PLAQUE PRESENTED TO CAPTAIN LOUIS ALBANO AND BASHED IT OVER HIS HEAD,,,MR T WAS 2 ROWS IN FRONT OF ME 'GUESS WHAT HAPPENED???HE ENTERED THE FORAY TOO,,,THE BEGINNING OF HOGAN/T /PIPER FEUD  NEW ERA,,,,

Damn! You were there for that?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
I don't know that they would have died, and I think he played a big part in killing them. 

Oh, no doubt. He didn't do anything to help them, but business in many of the smaller outfits was down before Vince started his scheme. Even the AWA was hurting. That's why so many of Verne's crew jumped ship when Vince started making offers; they saw Vince succeeding where Verne was failing.

There were other factors working against the old territories. The WWF was just the final nail in the coffin.

Crockett's made some shrewd moves against the McMahon's, but many of them failed to pay off and only cost the company. Remember when they were running big shows directly against each other on the same day? In '87, Vince threatened cable providers that if they aired Starrcade the afternoon before Survivor Series, he would not allow them to carry SS, Mania, and other PPV's in the works. Most companies committed to WWF, which killed the buyrates for Crockett's.

IMO, Jim Crockett's biggest mistake was trying to invade WWF's turf by running big shows up north where the company had little exposure and history. I think that hurt the gates for those shows and left their stronghold towns feeling betrayed, leading to diminished buyrates.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »

As I have said before, if it is called the biggest of all-time, I can't argue.  And I wouldn't even start to argue with anyone that called it great.  As I said in the other thread, it was big because of Andre's involvement.  Hogan was the benefactor, nothing else.  I know he was big, blah, blah, blah, but to call anything he did in wrestling great is beyond me.

The Rock And Wrestling helped line Vince's pockets for sure.  What else it did is questionable. 

And the larger-than-life Hogan was loved by 12 year old kids like I said earlier.  Vince had an idea and it worked.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
TOO MANY TO MENTION BUT RHODES NWA/FLRIDA/WWF/BACK TO FLORIDA/NWA,,HOGAN AWA/WWF.PATERA AWA/WWF/AWA ,,IRON SHEIK NWA GEORGIA/AWA/WWF ..SHARED TERRITORIES ,GOOD WRESTLING,ANGLES .

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
As I have said before, if it is called the biggest of all-time, I can't argue.  And I wouldn't even start to argue with anyone that called it great.  As I said in the other thread, it was big because of Andre's involvement.  Hogan was the benefactor, nothing else.  I know he was big, blah, blah, blah, but to call anything he did in wrestling great is beyond me.

The Rock And Wrestling helped line Vince's pockets for sure.  What else it did is questionable. 

And the larger-than-life Hogan was loved by 12 year old kids like I said earlier.  Vince had an idea and it worked.

Plus, the Hulk Hogan character ran its course pretty quick in the scheme of things, not possessing the same stamina and longevity as Ric Flair. Hogan's act began to stale by the beginning of the 90's and fans had grown a bit tired of the paradigm. That's why they gave Hogan some lengthy breaks and Vince began trying out other talents like Ultimate Warrior, Sid, etc. to see how they'd do.

The 80's hogan was very one-dimensional: simplistic and repetitive promos, simplistic and repetitive matches - all more predictable than an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. It was wrestling's biggest success to that point, but was not designed to endure. Fans wanted something with more depth.

Nobody ever tired of watching Flair. And, Ric could revisit feuds. There was seldom a part 2 with Hogan's nemeses.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »

Plus, the Hulk Hogan character ran its course pretty quick in the scheme of things, not possessing the same stamina and longevity as Ric Flair. Hogan's act began to stale by the beginning of the 90's and fans had grown a bit tired of the paradigm. That's why they gave Hogan some lengthy breaks and Vince began trying out other talents like Ultimate Warrior, Sid, etc. to see how they'd do.

The 80's hogan was very one-dimensional: simplistic and repetitive promos, simplistic and repetitive matches - all more predictable than an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. It was wrestling's biggest success to that point, but was not designed to endure. Fans wanted something with more depth.

Nobody ever tired of watching Flair. And, Ric could revisit feuds. There was seldom a part 2 with Hogan's nemeses.
THATS TRUE ABOUT HOGAN'S REIGN ONE AND DONE TITLE MATCHES,,,BACKLUND HAD GOOD MATCHES WITH RIVALS USUALLY COUNT OUT,THEN DISQUALIFICATION OR COUNT OUT,THEN 3RD MATCH WAS A SPECIAL MATCH OR PIN/SUBMISSION BY BACKLUND,,,HOGAN HAD NO RING STAMINA,,,

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
HOGAN HAD NO RING STAMINA,,,

It didn't help that he carried all of that Deca-bloat/water weight at the time.
I actually thought he moved better in his Mania match with Rock many years later. He was leaner and looked better conditioned. He was also very quick to get up after bumps. I suspect he trained his ass off for that believing it may be his last run. I respected the shape he got in for that angle.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
THATS TRUE ABOUT HOGAN'S REIGN ONE AND DONE TITLE MATCHES,,,BACKLUND HAD GOOD MATCHES WITH RIVALS USUALLY COUNT OUT,THEN DISQUALIFICATION OR COUNT OUT,THEN 3RD MATCH WAS A SPECIAL MATCH OR PIN/SUBMISSION BY BACKLUND,,,HOGAN HAD NO RING STAMINA,,,

As the saying goes, he don't paid by the hour. Considering that Hogan was bigger than most of his opponents, people expected the Hulkster to make quick work of them.

It became less believeable, partially because Hogan shrank. You can't quite sell the power of the pythons, when (relatively speaking) your physique resembles poultry.

At Wresstlemania 9, he looked like a crackhead.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »
Where to start.....  I couldn't locate the derogatory (I assume) comment about Gordon Solie.  It was a privilege to hear Gordon call a match.  Best ever.....and didn't have to rely on yelling "GOOOOODDDDD LAAAAAARD !!!!!" 300 times a show....but I digress.

As for Hogan/Vince/Flair, etc...  I remember being very fired up to actually see a Hogan match on USA or WGN back in the day when we first got cable, yes I'm old.... I had read about Hogan in mags for years and wanted to see what it was all about.  This was around the time Muraco and Snuka were fueding if I remember correctly.  Hogan's entrance, as always, was great.....looks great, way-over....great music.. Eye of the Tiger.... and then the match commenced.  Wow.... after watching Flair, Steamboat, Masked Superstar, Buzz Sawyer, Mr. Wrestling I and II, Wahoo, etc... to say it was a letdown would be like saying McWay was "disappointed" when Obama was re-elected.  He wrestled the EXACT same match over and over and over.  Some will say Flair was repetitive and of course he had signature moves, etc... but I watched Flair extensively for YEARS in various territories and he could adapt and him "taking an hour" to defeat Terry Funk (another all-time great worker) is the point.  He could hold an entire arena in the palm of his hand for an hour....never knowing when or how a match would end.  With Hogan there was very little doubt about the final minute of EVERY match.  I know it's all individual tastes and at the age I was when the Horsemen took off, I wanted to drive the nice cars, drink the finest and have all the hot women...just like Flair.  I certainly didn't want to be a bald guy who cut promo's talking about eating vitamins.  Hogan was aimed at a certain demographic, young kids, and Flair was aimed at a more mature audience.

I've summed it up like this before and feel it's the most accurate.  Flair is Robert DeNiro and Hogan is Arnold or Stallone.  I think most will understand that comparison.

On April 29, 1995, in North Korea, Ric Flair wrestled Antonio Inoki in a match attended by 190,000 people. The number is believed to be the highest ever to attend a professional wrestling card.  Take that VKM media-hype machine..... Whoooooooooooooooooooooo oooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »
Where to start.....  I couldn't locate the derogatory (I assume) comment about Gordon Solie.  It was a privilege to hear Gordon call a match.  Best ever.....and didn't have to rely on yelling "GOOOOODDDDD LAAAAAARD !!!!!" 300 times a show....but I digress.

As for Hogan/Vince/Flair, etc...  I remember being very fired up to actually see a Hogan match on USA or WGN back in the day when we first got cable, yes I'm old.... I had read about Hogan in mags for years and wanted to see what it was all about.  This was around the time Muraco and Snuka were fueding if I remember correctly.  Hogan's entrance, as always, was great.....looks great, way-over....great music.. Eye of the Tiger.... and then the match commenced.  Wow.... after watching Flair, Steamboat, Masked Superstar, Buzz Sawyer, Mr. Wrestling I and II, Wahoo, etc... to say it was a letdown would be like saying McWay was "disappointed" when Obama was re-elected.  He wrestled the EXACT same match over and over and over.  Some will say Flair was repetitive and of course he had signature moves, etc... but I watched Flair extensively for YEARS in various territories and he could adapt and him "taking an hour" to defeat Terry Funk (another all-time great worker) is the point.  He could hold an entire arena in the palm of his hand for an hour....never knowing when or how a match would end.  With Hogan there was very little doubt about the final minute of EVERY match.  I know it's all individual tastes and at the age I was when the Horsemen took off, I wanted to drive the nice cars, drink the finest and have all the hot women...just like Flair.  I certainly didn't want to be a bald guy who cut promo's talking about eating vitamins.  Hogan was aimed at a certain demographic, young kids, and Flair was aimed at a more mature audience.

I've summed it up like this before and feel it's the most accurate.  Flair is Robert DeNiro and Hogan is Arnold or Stallone.  I think most will understand that comparison.

On April 29, 1995, in North Korea, Ric Flair wrestled Antonio Inoki in a match attended by 190,000 people. The number is believed to be the highest ever to attend a professional wrestling card.  Take that VKM media-hype machine..... Whoooooooooooooooooooooo oooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   8)
NICE....YEAH HOGAN/SHEIK ALL 8 MINUTES OF IT WAS PRETTY EXCITING 'EYE OF TIGER' ,,THEN HE SWITCHED TO REAL AMERICAN BETTER SONG TO POSE SAME BULK HOGAN POSES LOL,,,HOGAN CARRIED LIKE ARNOLD DID BBING FOR THE PEAK TIME NEEDED,,,

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

There was no derogatory comment about Solie, not from me. I liked Gordon Solie. Again, I grew up with Florida Championship Wrestling. Solie was the only guy who pronounced "suplex" as "soo-play" (leaving the "x" silent). Everyone else says "soo-plex".

My take was the exact opposite. I wanted to be a HUGE guy with 24" pyhtons, who stood larger than life and could vanquish any foe in his way. I certainly didn't want to be some (relatively speaking) shrimp of a champion with a raggedy belt (before he got the big gold one), who couldn't tie his shoe without the Horsemen helping him.

When Flair needs an hour (and help) to beat a guy, while Hogan beats that same guy in 5-10 minutes, there's no question to me who the better champion was (back in the day).

That's just it. Flair's matches were almost as predictable as those of Hogan. Flair would either keep the title on a technicality or the Horsemen would save his behind.

I pretty much wrote off Flair matches and those of the NWA/Florida Championship Wrestling, when I saw a match between Flair and Luger for the title.

Luger got busted open, during the match. The match continued and eventually, Luger beat Flair and won the title, or so we thought. Then, came some STUPID decision that the match had to be stopped, because Luger was bleeding. It didn't stop while he was gushing blood. But, the decision had to be reversed AFTER Luger pinned Flair and won the belt. The refs gave the title back to Flair.

Add to that a 2-out-of-3 falls match, where Luger won the first fall. But, then the Horsemen and a bunch of other goons jumped Luger, between the first and second falls. Luger was in no shape to fight and Flair won the next two falls easily.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
chris vonerich undersized out of his element. ??? ??? ??? ???
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

Good take.
Very good take!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
chris vonerich undersized out of his element. ??? ??? ??? ???

I've seen people write stuff like "Chris would have been something in a lighter division like Cruiserweight" but I just don't see it. The kid obviously wanted it but the physical limitations were just too much to overcome.

I do think Mike Von Erich would have been a really nice fit at a Cruiserweight type division. Not that he would have set the world on fire but you could tell he had a decent amount of athleticism pre Toxic Shock condition. I always seen him as a slighter, lesser version of Kevin.