Author Topic: Why do pharmacists need so much education?  (Read 6041 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why do pharmacists need so much education?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »

There are also pharmacy techs, who usually undergo a two-year program and perform the more basic functions in a pharmacy environment. Some pharmacists start out as techs, but make way less money. They also have far less responsibility, but it's a good starting point.

You can become a pharmacy tech with no schooling.  Just on the job training and having a license. I know this because my son is a pharmacy tech while going through college. It doesn't pay much.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
You can become a pharmacy tech with no schooling.  Just on the job training and having a license. I know this because my son is a pharmacy tech while going through college. It doesn't pay much.

Really? I didn't know that.
I know two proprietary schools and the local community college offer degrees/certificates for it. I presume one can substitute other experience for training?

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
  Higher Education

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Really? I didn't know that.
I know two proprietary schools and the local community college offer degrees/certificates for it. I presume one can substitute other experience for training?

Yes, I am aware of business type non college schools offering certificates in Pharmacy tech. I'm really surprised that a community college offers a two year degree in it. In NJ they are making 10 to 12 dollars an hour in general. Yes, you don't need any schooling in NJ to be one but you must be licensed. I think that is just a criminal background check no test involved. I remember my son getting a pass port photo and going to get fingerprinted. The only training he has is on the job and watching some videos at work. If he took some kind of written test I'm not aware of it.

My daughter and my niece are pharmacists. My niece has her masters prior to the necessity of having a doctor degree. My daughter has a Pharm D.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
Yes, I am aware of business type non college schools offering certificates in Pharmacy tech. I'm really surprised that a community college offers a two year degree in it. In NJ they are making 10 to 12 dollars an hour in general. Yes, you don't need any schooling in NJ to be one but you must be licensed. I think that is just a criminal background check no test involved. I remember my son getting a pass port photo and going to get fingerprinted. The only training he has is on the job and watching some videos at work. If he took some kind of written test I'm not aware of it.

My daughter and my niece are pharmacists. My niece has her masters prior to the necessity of having a doctor degree. My daughter has a Pharm D.

Damn, that's a lot of tuition payments! ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Alot of the people i know in pharmacy school cannot find a job and the buzz is they are trying to phase down the profession due to technology ie) a computer can basically do what a pharmacist does, drug info.. Now techs are taking a larger role and requirements for the hospital are up, college or a tech program at a comm college, while retail can still be done with a high school diploma.

Yes, for the demands of the schooling, it is alarmingly difficult to find work in the field.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
I think it's important for pharmacists to obtain their doctorate.

It's a sign of the changing times. No longer are Medical Doctors the only ones to obtain a doctorate in their respective field. Today, you will find that Doctorates are obtained by Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Physical Therapists and nutritionists.

I think it makes sense and is the best move for quality care and consumer safety.

"1"
if you want your pharmacist to have a doctorate.. only go to a pharmacist who has a doctorate.

other people might not give a shit, and instead just want someone who apprears trustworthy and dont want to have to pay extra just to fund someones college education.

freedom, people. freedom. stop being authoritarian and imposing your will upon others.

King_Raisin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »

Yes, for the demands of the schooling, it is alarmingly difficult to find work in the field.

The only recent grads I know of that have had trouble finding work are those that neglected to work as an intern throughout their schooling.  Successful hospital-based grads start greasing the wheels for a residency the first year of pharmacy school if they're smart, and retail-based grads intern for their retailer of choice a few days a month all throughout the 4 years of school.  Those that I've seen prepare well didn't have any problems finding jobs post-graduation.  The saying from day one in pharmacy school is "it's a small world", and it's absolutely true.  Luckily I established a strong reputation early and have several standing PRN offers in addition to my full-time work if I'm interested 

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
if you want your pharmacist to have a doctorate.. only go to a pharmacist who has a doctorate.

other people might not give a shit, and instead just want someone who apprears trustworthy and dont want to have to pay extra just to fund someones college education.

freedom, people. freedom. stop being authoritarian and imposing your will upon others.

Sure, why not also just go to Physicians with a bachelors degree only or maybe one with a certificate in holistic medicine?

Standards of care keep improving and, due to such, the academic requisites that constitute the basic entry level for these careers keeps being raised.

Before, our children could have gotten educated by teachers with simply a bachelors degree. Today, in public schools they require a master's degree and teaching certification as well.

There is nothing wrong with this practice. We are evolving as a society and just as we evolve as people, so do our practices within the different disciplines (be it healthcare, law, science and education).

These academic requirements are not my ideas or even my view of an ideal society, but it is on par with the pace of an ever-growing society. You either adapt to this pace or stay behind working meager jobs.

In New York State, unless you have a Pharm Doctorate, you won't get hired to even work out of Walgreen's or rite aid.

"1"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
if you want to buy a service from someone who has a certain license or degree, then only buy services from those people who have those degrees/licenses.

but do not force everyone else to engage in the same practice

otherwise your a damned authoritarian pig.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
if you want to buy a service from someone who has a certain license or degree, then only buy services from those people who have those degrees/licenses.

but do not force everyone else to engage in the same practice

otherwise your a damned authoritarian pig.

Would you prefer a pharmacist who is simply a technician with a basic certificate (no college degree or training on the field) and who has very little knowledge of the intricate detail needed to prepare your medications down to the microgram as to not cause systemic imbalances or even possibly death?

OR

Would you prefer a pharmacist with a doctorate who has spent well over 6-8 years receiving training both from a theoretical and also clinically-based (with upwards of 3000 hours spent in both hospitals and actual pharmacies) standpoint preparing your medications and caring for you via their expertise?

You call it authoritarian. I call it the obvious choice.

"1"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
its when you take away my ability to make that choice when you become an authoritarian.

get it through your head

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »
its when you take away my ability to make that choice when you become an authoritarian.

get it through your head

Negative.

No one is taking your choice away. There are many quacks out there and pseudo-pharmacists that work out of their homes and local storefronts.

You can always go to those individuals at your own risk and no one will stop you.

Don't confuse ever-evolving industry standards of care and authoritarian-like involvement within healthcare.

These decisions are determined by evidence-based practice that shows that pharmacists with a doctorate provide better service and products than pharmacists with simply a master. The same evidence had once been applied to pharmacists with a masters versus those with simply a bachelors.

Clear cut example...

There are many people that go to Dave Palumbo for nutritional advice. These same individuals are also not bodybuilders or industry enthusiasts, just average people who have heard of him via word of mouth. Now you can go to Dave Palumbo and have him place you on his famous Keto-diet (along with his added modifications) or you can go to a license nutritionist with a Doctorate to get you going on the right, balanced path to weight management.

I would pick the nutritionist for basic weight management and a balanced approach to healthy consumption of foods. The choice is obvious to me, but you can still choose Palumbo.

"1"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
industry standards are different from legal requirements.

legal requirements do exist. you cant even cut hair without getting a license and certification.

such legal requirements are complete and total bullshit.

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
Pharma d is normally a 6 year program here. I dated a girl who was in pharmacy school. What I think is they are basically the second (and final) line of oversight in combining different medications. Her core education was in drug interactions and combinations. Her undergrad wasn't much different than my engineering requirements. I personally want a pharmacist to have a doctoral degree if they're handing out medication.

On a different note, they make a fat salary in retail. She started out making 108,000 here in Florida but works alot also. Her education was brutal though and many accepted to pharmacy school never make it through.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »

Not true for all. My daughter got three offers out of school. Just think the big chains can open all the pharmacies they want but if they don't have a pharmacist they are out of business.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »

Damn, that's a lot of tuition payments! ;)
I had three in college at one point.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Not true for all. My daughter got three offers out of school. Just think the big chains can open all the pharmacies they want but if they don't have a pharmacist they are out of business.

Well, that's good to know. I'm only going by what my cousin told me last year. I don't know what her source for that information was.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »
I had three in college at one point.

:-X

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »

retail is a different story and most people don't want retail because of the bullshit from the public. Hospital is where most want the clinical spots where you sit on your ass all day those jobs are hard to come by because as a previous poster said everyone wants a residency nowadays, everyone wants to specialize and get the good cushiony jobs where you make 80-90k and basically do nothing all day. Now most people want PA jobs or Nurse Prac. that's where the health care jobs are going.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
retail is a different story and most people don't want retail because of the bullshit from the public. Hospital is where most want the clinical spots where you sit on your ass all day those jobs are hard to come by because as a previous poster said everyone wants a residency nowadays, everyone wants to specialize and get the good cushiony jobs where you make 80-90k and basically do nothing all day. Now most people want PA jobs or Nurse Prac. that's where the health care jobs are going.

Very true..

I have a relative who is a Nurse Practitioner in New York City and she makes about $125,000 and that was her starting salary in one of the big private hospitals.

The beauty of those jobs (nurse practitioner or physician assistant) is that they typically require 6-7 years of training and very little debt is accrued, if any, as compared to medical school. While they don't make as much as say an Anesthesiologist (who makes around 300K - national average), they do make just about the same as a primary care doctor (those MD's make around $150,000) and it still isn't a lousy salary considering the lifestyle they adopt (mon-fri 9-5 workdays or three 12-hour shifts per week), plus the option for overtime.

My nephew (yes the weed head) is considering becoming a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant. I think it's a good idea, so as long as he can concentrate more on his course work and less on his marijuana.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
tell him to buckle down, he can buy more with the salary he'll be making. LOL!

I keep telling him to, but the boy is in love with marijuana.

"1"

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »
Well... If we've learned one thing in this thread, it's that I'm fairly ignorant!   ;D

Everhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Does a meth cooker need the same amount of education as a pharmacist?