Author Topic: Sleep restriction once again shown to increase calorie intake  (Read 801 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Sleep restriction once again shown to increase calorie intake
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleID=1568891

Effects of Experimental Sleep Restriction on Caloric Intake and Activity Energy Expenditure

Background:  Epidemiologic studies link short sleep duration to obesity and weight gain. Insufficient sleep appears to alter circulating levels of the hormones leptin and ghrelin that may promote appetite, although the effect of sleep restriction on caloric intake and energy expenditure are unclear. We sought to determine the effect of 8 days/8 nights of sleep restriction on caloric intake, activity energy expenditure, and circulating levels of leptin and ghrelin.

Methods:  We conducted a randomized study of usual sleep versus sleep restriction of two-thirds normal sleep time for 8 days/8 nights in a hospital-based clinical research unit. Main outcomes were caloric intake, activity energy expenditure, and circulating levels of leptin and ghrelin.

Results:  Caloric intake in the sleep restricted group increased by +566 kcal/day (SD, 755 kcal/day, P = 0.011) and decreased in the control group by -255 kcal/day (SD, 359 kcal/day, P = 0.20) for a net change of +822 kcal/day (95% CI: 214 - 1430 kcal/day; P = 0.007). Sleep restriction was not associated with changes in activity energy expenditure (P = 0.62). No change was seen in levels of leptin (P = 0.27) or ghrelin (P = 0.21).

Conclusions:  Sleep restriction was associated with an increase in caloric consumption with no change in activity energy expenditure nor changes in leptin and ghrelin concentrations. Increased caloric intake without any accompanying increase in energy expenditure may contribute to obesity in people who are exposed to long-term sleep restriction.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: Sleep restriction once again shown to increase calorie intake
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »
 great thread

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
of course bro im 10 times more hungry when sleepy and trying to plow/drag myself through the day. people on calorie restrictions dont have a hard life and get more sleep and work less thus they can be small but very lean

A

MikMaq

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
Great you get to become a hagar messed and look methed out.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
of course bro im 10 times more hungry when sleepy and trying to plow/drag myself through the day. people on calorie restrictions dont have a hard life and get more sleep and work less thus they can be small but very lean

i'm honored to have a falcon post in my thread....

:)

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »
I have always slept 5-6 per day my entire life.

my take away from this article is that I need to supplement "leptin and ghrelin".

I

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

my take away from this article is that I need to supplement "leptin and ghrelin".

how fat r u

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

damn ive always needed 8-9 but i look young
A