Author Topic: Question for parents and the child free  (Read 1136 times)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Question for parents and the child free
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
I would like some input on this.

I have no kids. I am more than happy with no kids. I don't have anything against kids - my godson is the coolest little dude on the planet - but I never felt any need or desire to have my own. Good for you if you have them.

And I understand raising kids is not always easy and that as parents, you can get tired and overwhelmed.

I don't understand why parents bring their small kids to cafes and restaurants and other public places and let them run wild, without lifting a finger to control them. That pisses me off.

Anyway - a friend and I were speaking yesterday. She has 3 kids under the age of 5, and she isn't a completely neglectful mother, but she is very 'laid back' and one of these people who seem to not notice her children wreaking havoc in public.

I made the comment yesterday that there should be a "parent class' on long distance flights - where all the parents with young children can sit together. My last flight from Germany back to Oz was a fucking nightmare journey with screaming toddlers and disinterested parents. One mother directly behind me had her headphones on her head and was totally engrossed in her tv screen - while he toddler made life hell for everyone around her. For 20 hours. Other kids were running the aisles. Parents were ignoring the flight attendants' pleas to control their children. It was the worst flight I've ever been on.

I thought my idea had some merit. My friend on the other hand, lost her mind completely and told me that I wasn't fit to be part of society if I had such thoughts.

Was what I said such a bad thing?

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: Question for parents and the child free
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:48:57 AM »
I agree.
I would never, ever let my kids run wild. It is sheer ignnorance and makes the parent look like a lazy scumbag.
That is the problem with the younger generation nowadays having been brought up by disinterested parents who dont give a fuck what they do. Kids need to be taught to be respectfull of others and their surroundings.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:22 AM »
You are in your right to be upset about parents not controlling their kids in public places. It is not nice. There should also be some sort of population control or kid license.

ukjeff

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:15:12 AM »
I try and avoid going anywhere when I know children will be present.
If I have to go I never strike up a conversation with anyone, theres no point, you always get disturbed by some kid running around playing Spiderman and all the parents think its endearing.

Kids should be seen and not heard.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:13 AM »
My kids grew up not even talking in restaurants, public places... I taught them to respect other peoples right to have a quiet dinner..

They are 18 and 15 now, and are still the same way today.. (They talk of course, but at a low level)..

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:57 AM »
Children are an extension of the parent's ego. If the parent themselves have selfishness issues, or issues with authority then they will not encourage different behaviour in their kids.

Kids running around in the aisles = parents don't give a shit about anybody else. Probably the same kind of people who would double park their car in a busy street, just so they can drive out easier later.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:10 AM »
 I'm a Christian guy who doesn't want kids. Even as a kid myself, I knew I didn't want them. If you watch he news for five minutes, you can see Biblically end time prophecy coming to pass. The fact that some children are as disruptive in public as they are is one of the many reasons I'm childfree.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
The thing is, I'm usually pretty tolerant. I know that kids will generally be noisy,or at least, boisterous.

That last flight though was terrible, and I couldn't get over the fact that so many parents just didn't seem to care. What I can't understand is my friend's reaction to what I said. I didn't think it was so terrible (and it wasn't aimed at her). If we used to have smoking and non smoking sections, why was I so out of line proposing a parent/non parent division in an airplane?

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
The thing is, I'm usually pretty tolerant. I know that kids will generally be noisy,or at least, boisterous.

That last flight though was terrible, and I couldn't get over the fact that so many parents just didn't seem to care. What I can't understand is my friend's reaction to what I said. I didn't think it was so terrible (and it wasn't aimed at her). If we used to have smoking and non smoking sections, why was I so out of line proposing a parent/non parent division in an airplane?
http://www.rgj.com/viewart/20130218/HOT/130218004/Man-charged-assault-slapping-2-year-old-airplane-calling-him-racist-slur

Man charged with assault for slapping 2-year-old on airplane, calling him racist slur

Bennett, 33, told authorities her son was crying as the Delta Air Lines flight prepared for landing. Hundley, 60, was sitting next to her and slapped the boy in his face, causing a scratch under his right eye, she said.

Hundley "told her to shut that ( N-word )  baby up," FBI special agent Daron Cheney said in a sworn statement. "Ms. Bennett received assistance from several people on the plane."