Author Topic: Larry Scott - A Life In Bodybuilding  (Read 7110 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Larry Scott - A Life In Bodybuilding
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Larry Scott - A Life In Bodybuilding
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:10 AM »
He'll also gladly take your order at the drive-through.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:49:50 AM »
Larry has always come across as a really good guy.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
Larry is a great inspiration from the era where anabolic use was getting out of control. One of the boys at Vince Gironda's gym. Currently suffering from dementia. A great personality.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
F

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
I met him a couple years ago. I was very honored. He was an extremely nice man.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »

Our legendary moderator emeritus, Pumpster, claimed to have once spoken to Larry over the phone, and "was not impressed." ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »

Our legendary moderator emeritus, Pumpster, claimed to have once spoken to Larry over the phone, and "was not impressed." ::)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:12 PM »

That's great, class act

Its a pity he is suffering now with alzheimers, hopefully he has a support group of loved ones

Also stayed in great shape into an advanced age. The poster boy for the long term effects of mega dosing dbol, and I mean that respectfully

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:21:28 PM »
I've k own Larry for a good number of years now and to the best of my recollection, he was the first pro bodybuilder to "bulk-up' way beyond his competitive body-weight and then  cut down and get ripped just prior to a contest.

That may be pretty common nowadays but back in the 60's it definitely wasn't.

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post but Larry had the reputation of offering the best Bodybuilding Seminar of all time and I still  believe his method was the best I've ever seen.

He would introduce himself immediately and then start off by saying, "Do I have any questions?"

And then he's write those questions in an abbreviated form on the blackboard and keep on doing so until there were no more questions.

And then the blackboard would look sometthing like this:

Diet
Training
Supplements
Steroids... (They were not illegaql back then!)
Weider.... (Joe and Ben)
IFBB
yada
yada
yada

ANd then he would take each in turn and speak on each in detail.

And at the conclusion he'd say, "That's it but if anyone has any additional questions, I'll be here for the next 30 minutes or so.

This 'seminar method' allowed everyone a chance to ask questions while preventing those occasions when one or two guys or gals dominated the question asking period which was very common back then.

Second best seminar was definitely Mike Mentzer. The ultra truth in every detail.

Third was Gary Strydom's who refused to leave until every last question was answered making a planned one-hour discussion go on for four.

Fourth was Porter Cotrell who would sit for an hour or more after his workout and answer every question thrown his way. Not really a bodybuilding seminar but great information just the same.

My best to Larry !

How many GetBiggerrs realize that he was a gymnast before concentrating on bodybuilding?!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
How many GetBiggerrs realize that he was a gymnast before concentrating on bodybuilding?!

I remember reading some of his newsletters in which he confessed to having a love for gymnastics and spending an inordinate amount of time on the parallel bars, to which he attributed his outstanding tricipital development, which was way ahead of his bi's in the beginning.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »
Thanks, Montague! A long while back one of the magazines published a photo of a very young Larry Scott doing an Iron Cross on the rings .... a very damn impressive photo which I can't find anyplace on the web.

Does anyone possess the detailed history of the "Scott Bench"?

Larry between his gymnast and BB years

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »

I only know a few details, like that Vince was thoroughly pissed when Weider ran the article on Larry and referred to the Easton bro's bench as the "Scott bench."

Hard to imagine Gironda getting worked up over anything. ;)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
Montague,  can you elaborate a bit on the Easton Bros?

I never heard of them and I always thought that the "Scott Bench" was at one time  the exclusive piece of equipment only available at Vince's during the early 60's.

I are dumb regarding that bit of  bodybuilding history.

I do know that Vince got a bit irritated when it came to training legs. Larry had to go elsewhere when it came time to work his legs as Vince totally believed that heavy squats only made your waist get larger.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
Montague,  can you elaborate a bit on the Easton Bros?

I never heard of them and I always thought that the "Scott Bench" was at one time  the exclusive piece of equipment only available at Vince's during the early 60's.

I don't know the whole story, but Harvey and Dale Easton apparently designed the original preacher curl bench. Gironda is said to have trained at Easton’s Hollywood gym in his early-20s and copied the bench when he eventually opened his own gym around 1948.

The bench became synonymous with Larry because of his highly-publicized use of it, especially after becoming the golden boy of the Weider mags. I suspect it was a blow to Vince's ego to have the bench more associated with Scott than him since the device was probably almost unique to Gironda's gym prior to that.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Is he bigger than the grapefruit? ;D

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »

Microphone?
O

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »
Microphone?

I believe that Pumpster had other, less conventional uses for those.

myosaurus

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
Larry Scott was my very 1st trainer. the information I learned from him was priceless...

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »
Larry Scott was my very 1st trainer. the information I learned from him was priceless...

That's quite something

I'm sure everyone would like to hear more on your experience, I sure would

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »

We've got a lengthy thread on Larry Scott over on the History board: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=101605.0

I hope you'll stop by and share some stories.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
Thanks, Montague! A long while back one of the magazines published a photo of a very young Larry Scott doing an Iron Cross on the rings .... a very damn impressive photo which I can't find anyplace on the web.

Larry between his gymnast and BB years
ls at vince's gym
F

myosaurus

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

We've got a lengthy thread on Larry Scott over on the History board: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=101605.0

I hope you'll stop by and share some stories.

Yes I just did. thx for guiding me in the right direction. Larry truly was a great trainer.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
FUNK, that first photo of Vince and Larry was definitely taken at Vince's Gym but the second shots appears to have been taken elsewhere (possibly in or around SLC where Larry often trained).

I say this because it was always somewhat dark in Vince's Gym and very small ... I'm gonna guess at less than 1,000 square feet on the bottom floor. (I never saw what was up above though. I think it was an office or a residence of some sort.)

And just down the street (Ventura Blvd) a block or so was Jerry's Delicatessen where a good number of  the members used to 'fine dine'. (Still there if I recall correctly plus one more further west on Ventura by Topanga Canyon.)

I no longer have an article written about Vince's views on the subject of Protein and the proper intake of same, but it was considered to be somewhat radical and later on proved to be somewhat factual. ...... Has anyone seen it or have a copy of it?

MONTGUE, Regarding Easton Gym .... You kidked my memory banks and I seem to recall an Easton Gym in Santa Monica on 3rd which is now the Prominade,  but a long while back it was a dedicated boxing gym.

A modern version of a gym is now located in that exact same location (2nd floor) but I don't recall its name.