Author Topic: Pregnant Minor Sues Parents to be Allowed to Keep the Child...and Wins  (Read 2236 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-teen-wins-abortion-battle-150554993--abc-news-topstories.html

A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

Im not quite sure how I feel about this. Good that she was able to save the child from abortion but I think this will lead to more legal battles in the future.

Id like to hear the judges reasoning for siding with the 16 year old.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Pregnant Minor Sues Parents to be Allowed to Keep the Child...and Wins
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/pregnant-teen-wins-abortion-battle-150554993--abc-news-topstories.html

A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

Im not quite sure how I feel about this. Good that she was able to save the child from abortion but I think this will lead to more legal battles in the future.

A definite PRO-CHOICE VICTORY!!!!

Kudos to the judge who signed the injunction!!!

Best wishes to the 16 yr. old. Her life will be forever changed,
...and something tells me she may not have the most supportive parents.
w

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »

can't force her to have the abortion.  but reality is that the dad and mom are most probably going to be the ones who raise it.  it's a bad situation no matter how you slice it.  but you tell parents of teenagers in the US to practice abstinence and you're called a bible thumping maniac.  well then have fun raising your kid's kids dude.  i don't know what to tell you.  if your 14 year old is fucking other 14 year olds they probably will get pregnant.  why?  because they're 14 fucking years old and they're dumb as shit.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »

This could have dangerous ramifications.

The parents are FORCED to let her use the car they bought for her. That doesn't sound right.

This is a sticky situation, and you can bet the left will use this to circumvent parental decisions in other matters.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
just what everyone needs; another unwanted kid that a kid cant take care of. parents stuck with the bills again.
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
Another kid tax payers have to raise.
A

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Did I miss it, or is everyone just assuming the girl will be keeping the child after delivery?
Adoption is still an option.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »

A definite PRO-CHOICE VICTORY!!!!

This is also an unusual instance, in that many/most "pro-choice victories" see people winning and celebrating the right to HAVE the abortion.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »
This could have dangerous ramifications.

The parents are FORCED to let her use the car they bought for her. That doesn't sound right.

This is a sticky situation, and you can bet the left will use this to circumvent parental decisions in other matters.

"her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

Preventing her from continuing her education, working, or getting proper pre-natal care, ....all in an attempt to force her to end a pregnancy isn't right. It's coersive & abusive, and I fear for her safety if she has parents who would resort to that to get their way.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
Did I miss it, or is everyone just assuming the girl will be keeping the child after delivery?
Adoption is still an option.

She plans to marry the father of her child, and I assume raise their child together.
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
"her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

Preventing her from continuing her education, working, or getting proper pre-natal care, ....all in an attempt to force her to end a pregnancy isn't right. It's coersive & abusive, and I fear for her safety if she has parents who would resort to that to get their way.

Again, it's a sticky situation. But, I'm concerned about this being used to circumvent parental authority, in other cases.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
She plans to marry the father of her child, and I assume raise their child together.

I see.

I was just thinking about that in regards to those here claiming the girl's parents will end up raising the child. That is often the case, but again, it's often the parents trying to force their daughter to keep the child, when she is in favor of aborting it. This scenario is the exact opposite.

Here, it is the parents who DON'T want the child. The person or people who are in favor of keeping the baby are often the ones to do most of the rearing. I wish the young couple the best of luck. They have a tough road ahead.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »

This is also an unusual instance, in that many/most "pro-choice victories" see people winning and celebrating the right to HAVE the abortion.

It is not an UNUSUAL victory in that THIS is exactly what pro-choice is all about!
The woman having the right to choose for herself. Your body - your choice.

Last year a girlfriend of mine admitted to me that years ago when her teenage daughter came up pregnant by a boyfriend no one she could stand (not even her daughter), ...she pressured her to have an abortion. She was beside herself. All she could think of was "What would the ladies at church say?" Everyone wanted her to terminate the pregnancy. Finally her daughter ran away from home until it was too late to end the pregnancy.

Now her 8 yr old grandson is her total world and she cannot possibly imagine life without him.
He truly is a very special little boy whose light touches and inspires all who encounter him.
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
It is not an UNUSUAL victory in that THIS is exactly what pro-choice is all about!

Last year a girlfriend of mine admitted to me that years ago when her teenage daughter came up pregnant by a boyfriend no one she could stand (not even her daughter), ...she pressured her to have an abortion. She was beside herself. All she could think of was "What would the ladies at church say?" Everyone wanted her to terminate the pregnancy. Finally her daughter ran away from home until it was too late to end the pregnancy.

Now her 8 yr old grandson is her total world and she cannot possibly imagine life without him.
He truly is a very special little boy whose light touches and inspires all who encounter him.

But, she ain't a woman; she's 16. And, that's part of the controversy.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
Again, it's a sticky situation. But, I'm concerned about this being used to circumvent parental authority, in other cases.

All throughout history, courts have been making decisions and advocating on the behalf of minors whose rights are being curtailed by their parents, or those whose parents influence is not a positive one. we have seen many minors emancipate themselves from their parents. Just because you are a minor, doesn't mean you shouldn't have rights, and when the infringement of those rights becomes abusive, someone has to advocate. I don't think there is that great a danger that this could be used to further circumvent parental authority, as much as laws that demand child vaccination, or forced healthcare modalities against the wishes of both the child & the parents.
w

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

I concur.
My point is that it seems pro-choice is - most of the time - in regards to someone fighting for the right to have an abortion rather than to not have one.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
But, she ain't a woman; she's 16. And, that's part of the controversy.

Physically she is a woman. As for how mentally or emotionally developed she is... we can only speculate.
Perhaps I should have said a female's right to choose.
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
Physically she is a woman. As for how mentally or emotionally developed she is... we can only speculate.

I'm not sure about Texas' law. But, if her boyfriend were 18 or older, it's possible he'd be charged with statutory rape.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

I can't believe I missed this earlier.

McWay, Seriously! You need to get out of this ridiculously dead end LEFT / RIGHT paradigmn you're stuck in.

You wanna know what is far more dangerous, ..a 16 year old who  comes up pregnant via RAPE, and BOTH the victim, along with her parents want to terminate the pregnancy and are told no.

There are lawmakers working feverishly to overthrow Roe vs. Wade, and they are allowed to do that, they circumvent not only parental rights, but constitutional rights as well.

This is not about LEFT or RIGHT. And as long as you keep thinking in those terms and being a "good little cheerleader for the team" you'll be round & round spinning your wheels seeing no progress at all. That is what "they" want. "They" being the people who run things, ...and it's NOT the government. Governments simply enforce the orders given to them and lay the ground work for the agenda's their masters intend to carry out.

When GWB was dismantling the Constitution, bringing in archaic laws some people cheered thinking there was nothing wrong with that. Now that "their guy" is out of power, they suddenly realize the scary potential for self-destruction? WTF!

Bad laws and bad decisions are bad regardless of which side initiates them, or signs them into law.

w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
The age of majority is set for a reason if you have an issue with it that's fine but legally she isn't a women and such decisions generally fall to the parents in most cases.

This is part of what I have an issue with as I think MCWAY is correct and I guess depending in how he came to his decision this court case will be used in many other cases where power is taken away from the parents of minors

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
I can't believe I missed this earlier.

McWay, Seriously! You need to get out of this ridiculously dead end LEFT / RIGHT paradigmn you're stuck in.

You wanna know what is far more dangerous, ..a 16 year old who  comes up pregnant via RAPE, and BOTH the victim, along with her parents want to terminate the pregnancy and are told no.

There are lawmakers working feverishly to overthrow Roe vs. Wade, and they are allowed to do that, they circumvent not only parental rights, but constitutional rights as well.

Those cases are few and far in between. Over 95% of abortions have nothing to do with rape or incest. Overturning Roe v. Wade would NOT circumvent parental rights.

This is not about LEFT or RIGHT. And as long as you keep thinking in those terms and being a "good little cheerleader for the team" you'll be round & round spinning your wheels seeing no progress at all. That is what "they" want. "They" being the people who run things, ...and it's NOT the government. Governments simply enforce the orders given to them and lay the ground work for the agenda's their masters intend to carry out.

When GWB was dismantling the Constitution, bringing in archaic laws some people cheered thinking there was nothing wrong with that. Now that "their guy" is out of power, they suddenly realize the scary potential for self-destruction? WTF!

Bad laws and bad decisions are bad regardless of which side initiates them, or signs them into law.

It IS about left and right. The blue-dog Democrats are all but gone and the RINOs aren't far behind. Politics is polarized. And, to each side, f you're not one, youre the other.

As far as this issue goes, I'm cautiously happy because there's one less baby being destroyed. But, the potential for this case to be abused, to strip parents of their ability to raise their kids is quite apparent. And for some strange reason, I don't think the Tea Party will be the ones doing such.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
Not sure what I think about this.  Parents have the right to make medical decisions on behalf of their kids, so this really shouldn't be any different, but talk about a thorny issue. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
Not sure what I think about this.  Parents have the right to make medical decisions on behalf of their kids, so this really shouldn't be any different, but talk about a thorny issue. 

I don't think they do. I'm reminded of the parents who took their daughter off cancer treatment and gave her vitamin C instead, and cited religious beliefs as justification. She died. I don't think they had a right to do that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
I don't think they do. I'm reminded of the parents who took their daughter off cancer treatment and gave her vitamin C instead, and cited religious beliefs as justification. She died. I don't think they had a right to do that.

You think minors have the right to make medical decisions without their parents' consent?  About the only thing I can think of where that happens is abortion in some states.  Otherwise, doctors and hospitals will not treat minors without their parents' (or guardians') consent.  And that's the way it should be. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
You think minors have the right to make medical decisions without their parents' consent?  About the only thing I can think of where that happens is abortion in some states.  Otherwise, doctors and hospitals will not treat minors without their parents' (or guardians') consent.  And that's the way it should be.  

Your first question is a false dichotomy (The answer, by the way, is "No, i don't"). When the interests of the child (as in the cancer case) is grave, then the parents should not have say-so in medical decisions when they make decisions contrary to the interests of the child, as determined by doctors. This, in essence, erases anything that can coherently be called a "right".