Author Topic: regarding the myth that aspartame consumption causes insulin release  (Read 6385 times)

galeniko

• Getbig V

?
n

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: regarding the myth that aspartame consumption causes insulin release
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
Because fat people don't lose weight when they get a diet soda with a supersized Big Mac and fries?
all drugs - TPPIIP

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
If diet coke stimulates insulin release and doesn't have carbs then drinking enough of it should make you start shaking like after 10iu of insulin shot without any carbs afterwards.

YET IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Aspartame is god, I love this fucking substance along with acesulfame and every other sweetener on this planet. I bet 1mln$ that I will never die from cancer.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
What's you guys opinion on Stevia?

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
I find diet soda makes me feel hungry. Could be the carbonation tho.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
I don't go off my diet. But it does stir up the stomach for craving my next meal. I drink like 1 coke zero a day so it isn't a big deal. I go through a Mio like every 3 days though.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
Well I drink 2 litre per day when I diet.  :)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

2 litre of diet soda?
and galeniko 4 litre?
T

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
Aspartame is a fucking horrid substance. 

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
  hypocrites

dustin

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
It's because if you actually look at the studies the controls are super poor. They'll get a group of people, some fatties, some regulars, and then have them drink diet cola and write a summary at the end. They don't take any of the variables into account.

Why is it that when I diet and guzzle 2L of Coke Zero a day I'm shredded as a girl with absolutely ridiculous insulin sensitivity? And mind you, I got a blood glucose monitor and a crate full of boxes of testing strips, so I tested the fuck out of myself to learn just how this hormone works. My blood sugar levels are perfectly fine whether or not I drink this shit. It's when I do the whole 8 small meals a day bullshit that my insulin sensitivity goes to shit. I guess something's wrong with my "metabolic furnace", eh? ::)

Take it from someone who's actually sat there with a blood glucose monitor and measured their shit. It does nothing. Perhaps leptin, ghrelin and other peptides and hormones do a LITTLE bit of weird shit, but it's absolutely marginal. And one thing diet cola does for me at least, is it staves hunger. It could be from the carbonation, but I have a lot of trouble eating when I drink diet cola. It fills me up. I counter it by slamming some water so I don't get dehydrated, but I just can't eat. So for me, my blood sugar stays in check and it stops me from pigging out. MY results are the exact opposite of these shitty mystery studies. I walk around with 8% bf or less and I eat like a pig once a day, every day. Then I just eat another meal, sometimes a third meal. A little intermittent fasting allows me to eat anything. And if I throw ephedrina into the mix, I get under 8% bf and start getting reallllly peeled.

So, take it or leave it fatasses. I wish the millions of fat fuckers reading those articles could hear what I have to say. I've only trained myself and a handful of close friends, but if I could get some traction on this it would be awesome to watch people eat their words. But they shouldn't eat their words with a diet cola, apparently it raises insulin. Pff.... even if it did, it's a drop in the bucket for the fatasses slamming it with a Super Sized McChubby meal with extra McChicken sauce on the side.

dustin

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
yo dusting this is an amzing post, thank you very much.

so you say small frequent meals increase sensitivity?

i felt the same, without measuring any of this.

the longer i wait with next meal the better the results and the leaner i am.with same calories.

its weird.

one guy who studies this at uni told me thatd be the logical case,seems he was right

I meant that small frequent meals is actually bullshit advice for people who are just starting out. They say it cranks the metabolic furnace, but chronically elevated insulin levels and chronic glucose in the blood over periods of time is very detrimental. If someone ALREADY has good blood glucose response then they can eat 10 meals or 1 meal and it's all the same. I prefer 1 big meal with a couple smaller ones if I really need to, otherwise I fast and it makes me very lean!

On paper, people keep finding reasons to recommend eating smaller meals all the time but I don't think it's the best route. If you have no glucose in the blood all day, and then eat once per day your body won't have to exhaust it's pancreas. It will inevitably secrete an appropriate amount of insulin, and you won't get any shit like Dawn phenomenon or dawn effect where adrenals and glucose regulating hormones get all fucked up because your insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism is all fucked up.

I really meant to say that I PREFER just fasting and don't like perpetuating the myth that smaller, infrequent meals are better because insulin metabolism is chronically impaired around the world. And I don't give a fuck what some beaker brain can point out wearing his stupid lab coat and popping dexadrine. Lift up his shirt and lets take a look at that pot belly. If just eating frequently and in smaller portions were so effective, why wouldn't that student or researcher have a better composition? Some of them do actually fast and eat once per day, so why is my advice failing them? They're simply untrained. But an untrained person who fasts will still be leaner with better metabolism. Eating more just puts more wear on your body. It dulls the tread. It gets you no where. Fasting, training and eating decently is the way to go, IMHO. It sounds eccentric and is ruined by the intermittent fasting fad/hype, but it should all be dismissed because underneath the hype is a really good way to improve your composition. Better insulin metabolism is pivotal in having an efficient metabolism. Then you can be like me and eat ice cream for dinner without GH, just take ephedrina during the day and you'll soak up any nutrient you eat after training.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Aspartame is a fucking horrid substance. 

How safe is Aspartame?
by Paul Cribb, B.H.Sci HMS

NA mutations, brain tumors, cancer, headaches and chronic fatigue - these are some of the side effects alleged to be associated with aspartame consumption.

I'll admit I was concerned when I first heard these accusations. If you're anything like me, an array of artificially sweetened foods such as nonfat yogurt, protein shakes, meal replacement bars and diet sodas have become a large part of your health conscious diet. If there were any truth to these claims I'd want to know about it. I figured other people would too, so I decided to roll up my academic sleeves, sweep aside the tabloid swill and dig into the real science on aspartame to get the straight facts.

Aspartame is simply two amino acids (L-phenylalanine and L-aspartic acid) linked together. About 30 years ago food chemists discovered when these two amino acids are joined together they provide a very sweet taste (180-200 times sweeter than sugar). Therefore, much less aspartame is required to obtain the same sweetness of sugar and the caloric yield is negligible.

Phenylketonurics - the truth!

Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine. What about that notorious health disclaimer on aspartame containing foods? Let's look carefully at the facts.

Phenylketonuria (PKU) is an extremely rare condition that mainstream media incorrectly linked to aspartame. PKU is a central nervous system disease characterized by an inability to metabolize excess amounts of phenylalanine. L-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid. It is found in much higher doses in protein rich foods (such as meat, eggs and milk) than aspartame-containing products[1].

Dietary surveys of people in United States, Canada, Germany, and Finland show those considered to be on a "very high aspartame intake" still only consume approximately one-tenth of the daily intake recommended by the US Food and Drug Administration of 50 milligrams/kilogram/day[1]. Ingestion of aspartame does not cause PKU, and even PKU sufferers are unlikely to be harmed by the minimal amount of phenylalanine in aspartame.

Twenty-one years ago, one study on mice concluded that prolonged dietary ingestion of aspartame at levels 550 times the normal human daily ingestion was necessary to elicit a central nervous system deficit[2]. There have in fact, been over 200 studies conducted over the last two decades that support the safety of aspartame consumption. Trust the media not to let the facts get in the way of selling a story.

There is also the completely unfounded concern about the toxicity of aspartame. One recent study showed aspartame and another artificial sweetener combined couldn't produce genotoxiciy (damage to DNA) at doses of 350 milligrams/kilogram/day![3] Aspartame's two amino acids, L-phenylalanine and L-aspartic acid, are metabolized like all other amino acids[4].

Now, there's a crusade against aspartame because of its conversion to formaldehyde. Well, I can end that campaign right now. The methyl group from aspartame is metabolized to methanol (an alcohol), then oxidized into formaldehyde, which is further oxidized into carbon dioxide. This fearful metabolic process is as common in our biology as talk shows in America. Ounce for ounce, tomato juice yields six times the methanol formation of a can of diet soda [5].

Over 100 countries including the US (and even the anally-retentive Australian TGA) have approved aspartame's use. Aspartame is also approved by the World Health Organization. The US FDA commissioner even noted at the time of aspartame's approval that few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and close scrutiny.

The unfortunate aspect is, public perception about aspartame has become so distorted and widespread that always eager-to-please food manufacturers have found it easier to rid aspartame from their formulations than quote the research. Next time someone forces their misinformed opinion of aspartame on you, just smile. Now you've got the facts, and you know better.

References

1. Butchko HH; Kotsonis FN. Acceptable daily intake vs actual intake: the aspartame example. J Am Coll Nutr. Jun;10(3):258-66,1991.

2. Potts WJ; Bloss JL; Nutting EF. Biological properties of aspartame. I. Evaluation of central nervous system effects. J Environ Pathol Toxicol. Jun-Jul;3(5-6):341-53, 1980.

3. Mukhopadhyay M; Mukherjee A; Chakrabarti J. In vivo cytogenetic studies on blends of aspartame and acesulfame-K. Food Chem Toxicol. Jan;38(1):75-7,2000.

4. Lehninger, Nelson, Cox. Principles of Biochemistry 2nd Ed. Worth Publishers 1997. p-527-529.

5. Butchko HH. Safety of aspartame. Lancet Apr 12;349(9058):1105, 1997.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
this myth is repeated over and over in newspapers, lifestyle mags and from socalled nutrition experts.

uhm, well, sweeteners do not cause insulin release, say diet coke was developed in the first place for.....diabetics.

why do the mentioned groups do such claims?

ignorance?

some agenda?

???

majority of this bullshit is coming people like this:

Hope this help you to figure out truth about the matter.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:19 AM »
Very interesting read thank-you...... isn't methanol the stuff you Americans make crystal meth with? Lol

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »
Out of all the sweeteners aspertame is my favorite. I used to mix equal:sodium cyclamate (2:1) for a sweeter taste but the latter is not available in all countries.....banned in the u.s actually lol ..but not canada wtf

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:16 AM »
I don't drink Diet sodas very much, but I do love an ice cold glass of Diet Dr Pepper on a hot summer afternoon after mowing my lawn.   Very refreshing.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
sound familiar   ;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
this myth is repeated over and over in newspapers, lifestyle mags and from socalled nutrition experts.

uhm, well, sweeteners do not cause insulin release, say diet coke was developed in the first place for......
diabetics

why do the mentioned groups do such claims?

ignorance?

some agenda?

???
And dr. Pepper was developed to cure penis dysfunction. Your point? ::)

It is not a myth. The way a doctor explained it to me is that your body thinks it is sugar and the receptors close.  My grandmother was diabetic. Diet coke would spike her blood sugar.  I have played around with a glucose monitor on himself, and no real change before and after. So people with diabetics shouldn't drink it.
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
Very interesting read thank-you...... isn't methanol the stuff you Americans make crystal meth with? Lol
Pseudoephedrine HCl I believe. With is in ADVIL COLD AND SINUS
That is why I have to wait in line at the RX,  show ID, and sign 2 fucking documents when I get sinus problems. Man, druggies fuck up everything.  >:(
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »

did you read dustins post? ::)

my uncle is diabet too, we did some testing on him

I didnt quote dustin's post, i quoted your retarded post. Just because some billion dollar company decided to market an useless fake sugar and water product for a diabetics and chicks trying to lose weight, doesn't make that product good for diabetics. Snake oil salesmen have been doing it for years.

As i said, I have done testing, and on diabetics, they do spike blood sugar.
A

dustin

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
A diabetic always needs to test staple food products regardless, and I imagine that powerful sweets could illicit an insulinic response. Their bodies are fucked up. Lay persons should be okay. Much better to drink fake sugar than real sugar for sure. But I never see far people in Canada driving diet. They're hardcore and her the super sized cola and Slurpees and shit.

Drink a bucket load of liquid sugar each day and a lot more will get fucked up too. My grandma is a type 1 and diet Coke does nothing, but some sugar free candy can make her hypo. It can be nutty.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
How about Stevia? it's made from a plant's leaf.  Does it cause cancer too? ::)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
I don't think aspartame causes insuline release, I don't gain any weight when drinking litres of it, just some bloat that goes away the next day. Plus, I though insuline spikes made you crave food, at least that's what happens to me after eating a good amount of white rice, breed and most carbs. This never happens to me when I drink diet soda, and I drink a lot of it when I do it.

I'm not shredded by any means, but I'm sure as hell diet soda don't make me fat.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
A diabetic always needs to test staple food products regardless, and I imagine that powerful sweets could illicit an insulinic response. Their bodies are fucked up. Lay persons should be okay. Much better to drink fake sugar than real sugar for sure. But I never see far people in Canada driving diet. They're hardcore and her the super sized cola and Slurpees and shit.

Drink a bucket load of liquid sugar each day and a lot more will get fucked up too. My grandma is a type 1 and diet Coke does nothing, but some sugar free candy can make her hypo. It can be nutty.
yeah, fuck up pancreas, they can't even eat corn.
A