Author Topic: Is Alex Smith not worth a 2nd pk?  (Read 3188 times)

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Is Alex Smith not worth a 2nd pk?
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
KC could moved up for Geno Smith or Barkley (dogs IMO), if one of them had dropped.  Alex Smith has a killer TD/Int ration when he is healthy.  Seems like a damn get deal for KC, given he is only 28 and could be a 7-8 yr starter under Reid.

SF
16   273   445   61.3   3,144   7.07   17   56   5   5   45.8   90.7
SF
10   153   218   70.2   1,737   7.97   13   55   5   3   70.1   104.1

The Kansas City Chiefs now know they will usher in the Andy Reid era with Alex Smith as their starting quarterback. The San Francisco 49ers now know they have just strengthened their position as consistent Super Bowl contenders under Jim Harbaugh.

The Chiefs' ability to complete the trade for the former 49ers starter and 2005 first overall draft pick on Wednesday is a "win" situation for them, but the steep price was sending a 2013 second-round pick (34th overall), plus a 2014 conditional middle-round pick to San Francisco. The 49ers now have a stockpile of 15 picks in the 2013 NFL Draft. And when you also consider they are clearing $8.5 million in salary by moving Smith — who would have remained No. 2 behind Colin Kaepernick if he had stayed with the team — it's a much bigger win for them.

Although the deal won't go into effect until March 12, it will soon have some ripple effects across the league, well beyond the individuals involved on both teams:

— Alex Smith. Smith didn't want to be the backup in San Francisco and gets his wish to resume starting elsewhere. He benefited from a strong supporting cast and an even stronger 49ers offensive coaching staff in enjoying his long-awaited big breakthrough under Harbaugh in 2011. He kept up that high level of efficiency through the first half of last season. When Smith, after suffering a concussion, was demoted in favor of Kaepernick, it wasn't because he was playing poorly but rather because the 49ers thought they could play better with Kaepernick.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
Re: Is Alex Smith not worth a 2nd pk?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
Biggest question is what will the 49ers do with all these picks? Trade some to the Jets for Reviss? They could always use some more CB help.

49ers gonna be fuckin stacked for years to come if everyone stays healthy. Don't be surprised if you see them in the SB again next year.

And if the Buffalo Bills (my team) draft Manti Te'o I'm gonna want to hang myself.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
Biggest question is what will the 49ers do with all these picks? Trade some to the Jets for Reviss? They could always use some more CB help.

49ers gonna be fuckin stacked for years to come if everyone stays healthy. Don't be surprised if you see them in the SB again next year.

And if the Buffalo Bills (my team) draft Manti Te'o I'm gonna want to hang myself.

Hope SF uses all those picks to either get Revis ( which is highly unlikely ) or use a couple of them to trade up and get a D tackle.

Like you said they could use some help at CB as well.

They should be one of the more active teams in the draft this year which bodes well for niner fans.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Alex smith might have won the super bowl. 

He's WAY better choice than gino or especially barkley.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
Alex Smith is not worth 1 second round pick, let alone 2 second round picks as rumored to have been the compensation.
everybody the last 2 years watching Alex play, has seem to have forgotten how much he stunk to begin with from 2005 to 2010.
Jim Harbaugh is like the quarterback whisperer, where he takes guys who are run of the mill or average, and turns them into pretty good looking quarterbacks. even with Andy Reid being a quarterback guru, I do not see Alex Smith doing anything near what he has done the past 2 years. Not the system, or the rest of the team in Kansas City will help Alex Smith.
I give Alex credit for what he has done for the team I am rooted for all my life, but the last 2 years was more of a fluke then what Alex will be again, now or in the future.
most of the experts say about 1 third round pick would be the highest they would give as compensation, with most actually seen a fourth round pick. Trent Baalke actually made out like a fat rat I getting not 1 but 2 second rounders. charlie casserly, look out because you have a new GM on your heels.

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »
Alex Smith is not worth 1 second round pick, let alone 2 second round picks as rumored to have been the compensation.
everybody the last 2 years watching Alex play, has seem to have forgotten how much he stunk to begin with from 2005 to 2010.
Jim Harbaugh is like the quarterback whisperer, where he takes guys who are run of the mill or average, and turns them into pretty good looking quarterbacks. even with Andy Reid being a quarterback guru, I do not see Alex Smith doing anything near what he has done the past 2 years. Not the system, or the rest of the team in Kansas City will help Alex Smith.
I give Alex credit for what he has done for the team I am rooted for all my life, but the last 2 years was more of a fluke then what Alex will be again, now or in the future.
most of the experts say about 1 third round pick would be the highest they would give as compensation, with most actually seen a fourth round pick. Trent Baalke actually made out like a fat rat I getting not 1 but 2 second rounders. charlie casserly, look out because you have a new GM on your heels.

Yea and that Andrew Luck guy really sucked after Harbaugh left Stanford.......

Smith had 7 different offensive cordinators in seven years before Harbaugh came along. What do you expect to happen? I dont care how talented or untalented you are, thats a recipe for disaster.

Andy Reid has a super good record with quarterbacks as well and at 28 years old Smith is just entering the prime of his career. I think there are 3 winners in this trade. Smith, the 49'ers and the Chiefs.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Remember that shitty QB on the Falcons who got traded to Green Bay? shit he fucking sucked with Atlanta. What was his name again? Oh yeah.

Brett Favre

Some players take time to adjust. It doesn't matter what you were 5 years ago, or 2 years ago, or even today. It's what you are tomorrow.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
 Alex got fucked.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
Remember that shitty QB on the Falcons who got traded to Green Bay? shit he fucking sucked with Atlanta. What was his name again? Oh yeah.

Brett Favre

Some players take time to adjust. It doesn't matter what you were 5 years ago, or 2 years ago, or even today. It's what you are tomorrow.

Isn't it not like u are 5 or 2 yrs ago but how u r now? And right now he isn't bad at all...

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Mike Holgreen is trying to win now and Alex is the best thing available. Is he a game changer, NO... but on a good team he can take you far.
I

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
Talk right now is that Cleveland may go after Flacco. Offer him 40 million guaranteed. Ravens can't offer that much guaranteed. Only way Ravens can keep Flacco is to an exclusive franchise tag at over 20 million or work out a contract. If they go the non-exclusive franchise tag route, Flacco will get around 15 million and can look to sign with someone else. If Flacco signs elsewhere, Ravens get 2 first round picks.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Kansas City (like Oakland) are where quarterbacks go to end they're careers. Smith aint gonna do any better then Cassel did.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
Kansas City (like Oakland) are where quarterbacks go to end they're careers. Smith aint gonna do any better then Cassel did.

This.    Smith will likely never see the playoffs again, except on Dish.
a

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
Smith will do fine with Andy Reid , with West Coast Ofense!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Talk right now is that Cleveland may go after Flacco. Offer him 40 million guaranteed. Ravens can't offer that much guaranteed. Only way Ravens can keep Flacco is to an exclusive franchise tag at over 20 million or work out a contract. If they go the non-exclusive franchise tag route, Flacco will get around 15 million and can look to sign with someone else. If Flacco signs elsewhere, Ravens get 2 first round picks.

I hope they don't do the exclusive rights tag, and if they franchise him, that someone will trade the two first round picks. I like him, but don't want him crippling the team either. Let someone else have him. I can see mediocrity for a few years after this last five year run. 7 if you go back to 06.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
smith is an excellent game manager, not the best at anything, but very smart, conservative, and professional.   he will do great even if kc doesnt.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Yea and that Andrew Luck guy really sucked after Harbaugh left Stanford.......

Smith had 7 different offensive cordinators in seven years before Harbaugh came along. What do you expect to happen? I dont care how talented or untalented you are, thats a recipe for disaster.

Andy Reid has a super good record with quarterbacks as well and at 28 years old Smith is just entering the prime of his career. I think there are 3 winners in this trade. Smith, the 49'ers and the Chiefs.

why you are correct about Andrew Luck and Jim Harbaugh, that was my mistake, should've been clearer on that point.
if Alex was as good as you allude to with G-Ro and Harbaugh, why would that offensive coordinator and head coach combination be any different than the preceding 7 coordinators along with Singletary and Mike Nolan?

like Tommy wishbone stated, Alex Smith will never see the playoffs again.

Smith did get a raw deal in the transition to Colin Kaepernick, but Jim Harbaugh definitely felt a need to improve on Alex Smith's 2011 NFC Championship Game where I believe he threw 1 for 13 with 1 pass being completed for maybe 7 yards I think?
I hope this thread gets bumped in the future when we can look back on what Alex actually did.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
why you are correct about Andrew Luck and Jim Harbaugh, that was my mistake, should've been clearer on that point.
if Alex was as good as you allude to with G-Ro and Harbaugh, why would that offensive coordinator and head coach combination be any different than the preceding 7 coordinators along with Singletary and Mike Nolan?

like Tommy wishbone stated, Alex Smith will never see the playoffs again.

Smith did get a raw deal in the transition to Colin Kaepernick, but Jim Harbaugh definitely felt a need to improve on Alex Smith's 2011 NFC Championship Game where I believe he threw 1 for 13 with 1 pass being completed for maybe 7 yards I think?
I hope this thread gets bumped in the future when we can look back on what Alex actually did.
alex was 12 for 26 with 2 td's in the 11 nfc championship game.   it was his fault we lost, it was kyle fucking williams.

up untill kaepernick took overt he had a 104 passer rating , the highest in the league at the time

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
alex was 12 for 26 with 2 td's in the 11 nfc championship game.   it was his fault we lost, it was kyle fucking williams.

up untill kaepernick took overt he had a 104 passer rating , the highest in the league at the time

you are correct on the overall stats for the game, but I do remember somewhere him being a pathetic 1 completion, maybe the fourth quarter? Either way I am NOT a fan of Alex and never really have been including the past 2 years.

I wish him the best of luck but for an overall number 1 pick in 2005, I do believe he has been a bust overall even if you include the last 2 years.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
kapernick was a nice change-up to keep other teams guessing... but Smith was a much safer bet. 

Smith, on the other hand, was 6-2 at the time and able to win 75% of his game WHEN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE HAD YEARS OF VIDEO ON HIM.

kap will be a good yet beatable QB next year.  He will have to evolve to duplicate what he did this year.  He was getting blanked by Baltimore and without that power out, it wouldn't have been close.  Teams know how to beat Kap now... just watch the super bowl.

powerbar

• Getbig IV
  • I am a good man.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »

Brett Favre

Favre didn't really suck.  He was taken in the 2nd and traded for a 1st after the first season.  They were stacked at QB or so they thought.  He threw 4 passes his rookie year.  He wasn't given much of a chance.  Had they known where Chris Miller and Billy Joe Tolliver's career's were going to go they probably would have held onto him.
Come get me.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
kapernick was a nice change-up to keep other teams guessing... but Smith was a much safer bet. 

Smith, on the other hand, was 6-2 at the time and able to win 75% of his game WHEN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE HAD YEARS OF VIDEO ON HIM.

kap will be a good yet beatable QB next year.  He will have to evolve to duplicate what he did this year.  He was getting blanked by Baltimore and without that power out, it wouldn't have been close.  Teams know how to beat Kap now... just watch the super bowl.
we got beat by 3 points to the superbowl champs and they finished the game with their tail between their legs taking a safety cuz they knew theyd lose if they gave the ball back to us.   kaepernick is an all star, he was playing conservatively till the second half, and even then he was not letting loose. 

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 06:21:40 PM »
San Francisco better sign a quality veteran back-up QB this offseason because I seriously doubt Kapernick will last a full season with the way he plays.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 12:06:07 AM »
San Francisco better sign a quality veteran back-up QB this offseason because I seriously doubt Kapernick will last a full season with the way he plays.
the guy has injury written all over him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
we got beat by 3 points to the superbowl champs and they finished the game with their tail between their legs taking a safety cuz they knew theyd lose if they gave the ball back to us.   kaepernick is an all star, he was playing conservatively till the second half, and even then he was not letting loose. 

as Mothballs pointed out, Kap plays reckless and while he was awesome, and i love watching him play... he's gonna get blindsided and wrecked at some point. 

Also I stand by my point that he has to IMPROVE this year - Kap from 2012 won't be as good in 2013 because teams have had months to study his game film. 

i'd rather watch Kap play than 95% of the QBs in the league... but if I had to bet on if he'll duplicate the success, I'd predict a step back.