Author Topic: Adding l-leucine to protein powder, food, bcaa, etc...  (Read 14264 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Adding l-leucine to protein powder, food, bcaa, etc...
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
So... I am wondering if someone can give me the break down.

I'm under the impression that l-leucine is the most cruicial amino acid for a variety of things and especially muscle building. I also heard that it supposedly encourages/increases protein synthesis under different situations. Also heard it stimulates fat loss.

Are there any medical journals or papers and truths in these matters? I get bulk raw l-leucine, but am i wasting my money? Yes I eat whole food already but hell if it's something relatively cheap anyway I can add it in for the benefit, otherwise if not meh?

And with BCAAs, they already come with a few different things, i also get it raw bulk (tastes like vomit -- but mix in good protein shake and crap taste gone).

Discuss

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Adding l-leucine to protein powder, food, bcaa, etc...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
This study is a bit more general covering multiple aspects of nutrition sources and timing, but it does mention leucine's role and recommendations: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23241341

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
Thank you bro, if there are any other studies and papers I would love to read them! Share them! :D

It's interesting what they say about pre workout. I swear I felt that far more beneficial than post like some people advocate! I find it carbs pre/intra as most beneficial with protein and post mostly protein. Gave me better recomp effects as well.

Hmm so leucine does increase protein synthesis cool beans!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »
It does.
Pub Med contains many studies on Leucine, and you'll find even more results searching for HMB; β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate.

I think a lot of guys knock HMB because it's expensive, and also on account of the ridiculous way Bill Phillips pimped it back in his EAS days. It isn't magic, but I feel it does help. 3 g per day divided is recommended - 1 g with each meal.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
do you have a study where people consumed this versus 1lb lean organic beef per day?

people on "the beef" would win....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
do you have a study where people consumed this versus 1lb lean organic beef per day?

people on "the beef" would win....

1 lb of beef contains about 8 g of Leucine. I'm honestly not sure what that equates to in HMB amounts.
But, from both dietary and supplemental Leucine, HMB is actually produced via oxidation by a liver enzyme, which is not a very efficient process at roughly 5%.

The limitations imposed by enzymatic conversion make it very difficult to achieve the same levels of HMB from whole-part Leucine sources as opposed to taking it in the concentrated form.

So, to truly experience HMB's effects equal to the recommended dosage, you really need to take it in its supplemental state.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

1 lb of beef contains about 8 g of Leucine. I'm honestly not sure what that equates to in HMB amounts.
But, from both dietary and supplemental Leucine, HMB is actually produced via oxidation by a liver enzyme, which is not a very efficient process at roughly 5%.

The limitations imposed by enzymatic conversion make it very difficult to achieve the same levels of HMB from whole-part Leucine sources as opposed to taking it in the concentrated form.

So, to truly experience HMB's effects equal to the recommended dosage, you really need to take it in its supplemental state.

Montague

• Getbig V

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »

Point?

steak is mightier than supplements

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »

Yes, but in regards to your post: 1 lb of lean beef will provide nowhere near 3g of HMB.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »

No one is suggesting to consume the HMB in place of food.
It is a "supplement."

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »

No one is suggesting to consume the HMB in place of food.
It is a "supplement."

organic beef is the perfect supplement

steer eat enormous quantities of vitamin and mineral rich vegetation and concentrate all of that goodness into steak...

the superiority of beef as a supplement over everything but actual steroids/hormones/drugs is unquestionable IMO...

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
I get a kilo of raw l-leucine from the states in powder form... for 20 bux... how much is that 100s of pounds of beef? Curious

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
Does HMB come in bulk powder??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »
Does HMB come in bulk powder??

It may, but I've never come across it. It'd be nice if it did, though, since the capsule process increases cost.

Check Primaforce and NOW brands. I know they sell a lot of bulk powders.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:56:45 AM »

It may, but I've never come across it. It'd be nice if it did, though, since the capsule process increases cost and company profits because they add a ton of rice flour and only a bit of active ingredient because there is nothing stopping them from selling you snake oil in the USA.

Check Primaforce and NOW brands. I know they sell a lot of bulk powders.

fixed  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:18 AM »

fixed  :)

And all of your supplements are made in Canada, pure, and legit?

Yes, Muscle-Tech is an honest and trusted brand. ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

And all of your supplements are made in Canada, pure, and legit?

Yes, Muscle-Tech is an honest and trusted brand. ::)

different 'formulas' here (but naturally proprietary blends are still the same bullshit)... but i don't take any of that crap anymore anyway

i supplement with whey and the progressive multi vitamin for men (why not) as well as uni liver tablets and glucosamine... and creatine of course...

these days i stick to food... i have never been healthier or leaner

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »
I was given warnings before for rolling my eyes and responding to Woo's constant cynicism and sarcasm but he is ALWAYS has to make some kind of sarcastic and cynical comments when supplements are talked about.

Yes there are many gimmicky supplements out there, but that's where one needs to do his research. No need to be such a staunch whatever.

Wow rice flour... well... I guess I might as well buy rice flour bulk then?

Maybe the whey and vitamins you're taking are rice flour too?

Come on now... and like montague said you really think your vitamins and protein whey is also really made in canada? I doubt it. I recently bought 25lbs of bulk (comes in a bag literally) from canadianprotein.com and who knows where they get it from or make it but there's good feedback on them?

How can you trust anyone then in anything? There's room for some specticism but being cynical, sarcastic and skeptic about everything come on...

Supplements are not replacement for whole food. Great you eat food. You didn't eat food before? No wonder you're healthier now.

Newsflash to you glucosamine does jack shit. Only supplements worth a damn for joints are high dosed fish oil and cissus.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
I was given warnings before for rolling my eyes and responding to Woo's constant cynicism and sarcasm but he is ALWAYS has to make some kind of sarcastic and cynical comments when supplements are talked about.

Yes there are many gimmicky supplements out there, but that's where one needs to do his research. No need to be such a staunch whatever.

Wow rice flour... well... I guess I might as well buy rice flour bulk then?

Maybe the whey and vitamins you're taking are rice flour too?

Come on now... and like montague said you really think your vitamins and protein whey is also really made in canada? I doubt it. I recently bought 25lbs of bulk (comes in a bag literally) from canadianprotein.com and who knows where they get it from or make it but there's good feedback on them?

How can you trust anyone then in anything? There's room for some specticism but being cynical, sarcastic and skeptic about everything come on...

Supplements are not replacement for whole food. Great you eat food. You didn't eat food before? No wonder you're healthier now.

Newsflash to you glucosamine does jack shit. Only supplements worth a damn for joints are high dosed fish oil and cissus.

I typically only interject when there is a personal attack or name-calling; even in milder instances using terms like "retard," just to keep the board clean. It's easier to prevent the kind of quotidian horseshit seen on the G&O.

Other matters of opinion are free to be discussed so long as it is in a civilized/respectful manner. WOOO is a good poster in that he abides by the forum rules, despite some of his stances consisting of questionable reasoning. ;)

I agree that there are lots of snake oil products on the market, but it is too simplistic to dismiss all or even most of them as such. Given the limited proper studies devoted to sports nutrition, I believe in keeping an open mind to possibilities, and always consider anecdotal evidence from folks who've tried things I haven't.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

I typically only interject when there is a personal attack or name-calling; even in milder instances using terms like "retard," just to keep the board clean. It's easier to prevent the kind of quotidian horseshit seen on the G&O.

Other matters of opinion are free to be discussed so long as it is in a civilized/respectful manner. WOOO is a good poster in that he abides by the forum rules, despite some of his stances consisting of questionable reasoning. ;)

I agree that there are lots of snake oil products on the market, but it is too simplistic to dismiss all or even most of them as such. Given the limited proper studies devoted to sports nutrition, I believe in keeping an open mind to possibilities, and always consider anecdotal evidence from folks who've tried things I haven't.

this

:)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »

these days i stick to booze... i have never been healthier or leaner

fixed
 ;D
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

these days i stick to sex... i have never been healthier or leaner

fixed

:D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
These days I stick to chickens... Roosters kick too much

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Original quote.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »

organic beef is the perfect supplement

steer eat enormous quantities of vitamin and mineral rich vegetation and concentrate all of that goodness into steak...

the superiority of beef as a supplement over everything but actual steroids/hormones/drugs is unquestionable IMO...

This is a good post!!!

What do you think of Beef Jerky?  It has so much protein per ounce!! 

I just got a giant bag of organic beef jerky, was thinking of making some too!!