Author Topic: are you living the dream?  (Read 2961 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: are you living the dream?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »
I did. For a short time. Had my kids, a high paying job with summers off, a famous pro as my trainer and friend, an apartment with pools and jacuzzis and a fitness center, my mom and brother were still alive..
sounds awesome  :) congrats on that

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 02:34:39 AM »
I'm Eurasian. My dad was half Japanese half Chinese, my mother is first generation Kiwi with Celtic-French parents. Doesn't mean shit here though. Apart from the fact that I'm 6' tall, I'm as asian as can be to the locals.

I have met some terrific people here, but yes, racism is at a 1950's level and I've been on the receiving end of it quite often. I live in a fairly small place though - the cities may be different.

In the last month I've...

...walked into a cafe and had people exclaim loudly that it suddenly stinks of soy sauce (heard this a few times before).

...gone to the butchers and been told 'I don't sell dogmeat'

...gone to a hairdresser and had some guy say 'Hey - we didn't order any Chinese takeaway'.

Of course, to the Germans, this is hysterically funny and everyone else who's present bursts out laughing.

I don't help much. Once the butcher was finished trying to be funny I told him it was fine - I was after cat meat that day anyway. Of course, THAT'S not anything to laugh at.

If you mention the war, or the Holocaust, that's a catastrophe. I once overheard a couple commenting on my wife and wondering what her problem was that she couldn't find a German guy and had to bring an Asian into the country and that our kids would ruin their society. I turned to them and said 'Yes - this is the country that made the jewish people feel so welcome isn't it' and i very nearly had to contend with the police coming.

Racism is here. I was hoping to move to Thailand later this year but that fell through so I'm here for a little while longer. Many Germans would be horrified to hear some of the things I hear - and they're the ones I try and spend my time with, but yes, racism is not unusual. It's a xenophobic country - as a rule,they don't like anything too different here.

well thats pretty shitty

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 04:25:55 AM »
well thats pretty shitty

It's as shitty as i want it to be. It's more the seriousness of the place that I find hard - the racists are easy to make fun of.

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:08 AM »

Living the dream.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:03 AM »
If you mean living in a van parked in the lot of Gold's Venice Beach..then no, I have not reach the mountain top .... ::) ::) ::) ::)
L

MikMaq

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 05:11:05 AM »
I'm Eurasian. My dad was half Japanese half Chinese, my mother is first generation Kiwi with Celtic-French parents. Doesn't mean shit here though. Apart from the fact that I'm 6' tall, I'm as asian as can be to the locals.

I have met some terrific people here, but yes, racism is at a 1950's level and I've been on the receiving end of it quite often. I live in a fairly small place though - the cities may be different.

In the last month I've...

...walked into a cafe and had people exclaim loudly that it suddenly stinks of soy sauce (heard this a few times before).

...gone to the butchers and been told 'I don't sell dogmeat'

...gone to a hairdresser and had some guy say 'Hey - we didn't order any Chinese takeaway'.

Of course, to the Germans, this is hysterically funny and everyone else who's present bursts out laughing.

I don't help much. Once the butcher was finished trying to be funny I told him it was fine - I was after cat meat that day anyway. Of course, THAT'S not anything to laugh at.

If you mention the war, or the Holocaust, that's a catastrophe. I once overheard a couple commenting on my wife and wondering what her problem was that she couldn't find a German guy and had to bring an Asian into the country and that our kids would ruin their society. I turned to them and said 'Yes - this is the country that made the jewish people feel so welcome isn't it' and i very nearly had to contend with the police coming.

Racism is here. I was hoping to move to Thailand later this year but that fell through so I'm here for a little while longer. Many Germans would be horrified to hear some of the things I hear - and they're the ones I try and spend my time with, but yes, racism is not unusual. It's a xenophobic country - as a rule,they don't like anything too different here.

Goto canada eurasians are like celebs in certain parts of the country.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »
If you mean secretly posting on getbig while at work, I am living the dream right now motherfuckers.
i sometimes browse secretly

make the window tiny as hell

scared to sign in tho

evidence it was me

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
If you mean living in a van parked in the lot of Gold's Venice Beach..then no, I have not reach the mountain top .... ::) ::) ::) ::)
you can be in the street one day and in a penthouse the next day

the sun is shinin

it aint over

(movie scene)