Author Topic: Is piracy a good thing?  (Read 4830 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Is piracy a good thing?
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=74963

Piracy Good For Television Shows Says GAME OF THRONES Director

Piracy or illegal downloads if you will, have been a bit of a hot topic in the last few years and have prompted the U.S. government to take a more active and severe stance on the practice. But what does the director of the most pirated show on television think about it?

Game of Thrones is the most pirated show on television with a staggering 3.9 million illegal downloads per episode. And while various governments dish out strict penalties for the practice to those they repeatedly catch, Game of Thrones director David Petrarca thinks the social media impact that results from illegal downloads outweigh the negatives of losing official viewers. Check out what Petrarca had to say at a recent Q&A panel, courtesy of WinterIsComing.net.

Panel mediator Rosemary Neill noted Game of Thrones was the most pirated show of 2012 and that 10 per cent of the downloads came from Australia.

But Petrarca shrugged and said the illegal downloads did not matter because such shows thrived on “cultural buzz” and capitalised on the social commentary they generated.

“That’s how they survive,” he told the crowd gathered at the University of Western Australia.

Do you think that's true? Petrarca has recently backtracked on that initial statement now that it's become a hot topic and HBO has since issued an official statement declaring that they don't share the same views. A lot of fans have argued Petrarca's initial point over the years, citing that there are some places in the world where it's impossible to see certain television shows without the internet. In other areas, the television show may lag behind the U.S. season which means trips to social media run the risk of having a particular plot point spoiled. Illegal downloads probably aren't the answer and new technology is currently being developed to deter the practice but the previously mentioned issues must also be addressed if the practice is to be completely stamped out. Game of Thrones season 3 premieres March 31st on HBO.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Is piracy a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:20 PM »
From countries that the show doesn't plan on time, yes.
From the US, no.
A

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »
Piracy in Somalia? Not a good thing

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
Piracy in Somalia? Not a good thing

Serves them well:

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
Serves them well:

in before mass243   ;D

all drugs - TPPIIP

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »
Yes for the consumers it is, from a IT perspective they raise the bar and innovate.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »
Disappointed. The correct answer is: AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH HHHHHHHH.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:57:45 AM »
For us yes. For the people who make money, no.

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:23:15 AM »

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:35:41 AM »

Holy crap, how does Tbumz have so much time to get around like he does??  Beyonce, Pirates, etc.  World wide phenomenon.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:12 AM »
Blockbuster Video once charged me $8 a day in late fees for a film that had fallen behind the TV cabinet (1/7 rented).  When I asked if the cost of just purchasing it was less than the $96 fine, I was informed that my membership agreement makes it clear that I'm expected to pay all late fees and that I need to take better care to return DVDs on time if I don't want to pay late fees.  

And she was right.  It was totally my fault so I gave her $96 and haven't rented a movie since.  That store went out of business about a year ago.  So yes.

If Universal or whoever would just establish a site and sell me a download (a file I save, not a stream) for a reasonable price then I'd pay it and be content to never worry about bad cam versions, viruses, etc.  Are they afraid that once a version is out there it will just get freely distributed?  That already happens now!  Instead they chose "laws" to try to fortify an outdated system of product distribution and profit collection.  Nobody goes to the cinema or Blockbuster anymore (and I'm amazed that Netflix physically mailing DVDs to people in a stamped fucking envelope ever got off the ground) and antipiracy laws aren't going to change shit.  They need to distribute and collect payment in a new way if they're going to answer piracy.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:10:33 AM »
Blockbuster Video once charged me $8 a day in late fees for a film that had fallen behind the TV cabinet (1/7 rented).  When I asked if the cost of just purchasing it was less than the $96 fine, I was informed that my membership agreement makes it clear that I'm expected to pay all late fees and that I need to take better care to return DVDs on time if I don't want to pay late fees.  

And she was right.  It was totally my fault so I gave her $96 and haven't rented a movie since.  That store went out of business about a year ago.  So yes.

If Universal or whoever would just establish a site and sell me a download (a file I save, not a stream) for a reasonable price then I'd pay it and be content to never worry about bad cam versions, viruses, etc.  Are they afraid that once a version is out there it will just get freely distributed?  That already happens now!  Instead they chose "laws" to try to fortify an outdated system of product distribution and profit collection.  Nobody goes to the cinema or Blockbuster anymore (and I'm amazed that Netflix physically mailing DVDs to people in a stamped fucking envelope ever got off the ground) and antipiracy laws aren't going to change shit.  They need to distribute and collect payment in a new way if they're going to answer piracy.

Yes.

Although why not a stream? Say, if you have an account and get all the movies in full quality to play online from whatever device you're on indefinately or as long as you're a paying member.  It's just different ways of viewing it.

Don't know if you've heard of Spotify, but it's awesome and there needs to be a similar service for movies I think.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »
Yes.

Although why not a stream? Say, if you have an account and get all the movies in full quality to play online from whatever device you're on indefinately or as long as you're a paying member.  It's just different ways of viewing it.

Don't know if you've heard of Spotify, but it's awesome and there needs to be a similar service for movies I think.

Stream would be ok too, I guess.  They ought to table a few options and see what works.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:01 AM »
I sell software & it gets pirated a fair amount.

Still, lots of people buy it and I'd like to think there are more people who paid for the software than not.

It does piss you off a bit, especially if you developed something innovative with real value.

The world does need innovation an if piracy was too rampant or rather too widely used, then people like me would simply not bother.

MikMaq

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 06:03:14 AM »
I think they need to redefine piracy.

Piracy should only apply to corporations.

As long as it's not profitable to pirate property there will always be a private industry.

Problem is sites like pirate bay, profit from hosting.

Anyhow I want the movie television and music industries to burn in hell.

The future of entertainment I think will go back to concert halls, arena's, and coffee shops.

Selling recorded content should of never been allowed to happen.

These big corporations kill live entertainment.

Just think how many actors don't have jobs because of all the money that is sucked up by hollywood.

Just think of all the concert money that is being pissed away on cd's.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:06 AM »
Many getbiggers are proponents of butt-piracy.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 06:35:39 AM »
I think they need to redefine piracy.

Piracy should only apply to corporations.

As long as it's not profitable to pirate property there will always be a private industry.

Problem is sites like pirate bay, profit from hosting.

Anyhow I want the movie television and music industries to burn in hell.

The future of entertainment I think will go back to concert halls, arena's, and coffee shops.

Selling recorded content should of never been allowed to happen.

These big corporations kill live entertainment.

Just think how many actors don't have jobs because of all the money that is sucked up by hollywood.

Just think of all the concert money that is being pissed away on cd's.

recorded content is one of the biggest innovations the world has ever seen in terms of entertainment, education, and multiculturalism/tolerance.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »
Many getbiggers are proponents of butt-piracy.
:D
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
Make all the dvd blu rays and other digital medias ten times less expensive and people would pay to have high def content for cheap. Movies, music and other virtual medias are way too overpriced, a dvd/blu ray movie should be like 5 dollars for example. If it was a lot less expenssive for something you dont spend a lot of time wathcing/using,  people would pay for it to have the high definition version instead of pirating low/medium def stuff. Same with tv channels etc. It's just too damn expensive for what it is, a "use and forget" media. I shake my head at a single mp3 costing one dollar or when i see randomly video games boxes in shelves costing... 59 $?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
make all the dvd blu rays and other digital medias ten times less expensive and people would pay to have high def content for cheap. Movies, music and other virtual medias are way too overpriced, a dvd/blu ray movie should be like 5 dollars for example. If it was a lot less expenssive for something you dont spend a lot of time wathcing/using,  people would pay for it to have the high definition version instead of pirating low/medium def stuff. Same with tv channels etc. It's just too damn expensive for what it is, a "use and forget" media.

The problem is that the current mechanisms for distribution are antiquated and most of the movie/tv studios are still holding on to an old paradigm refusing to change.  Mostly because they are still making shitloads of money.  When the current distribution system starts eating into their bottom line, you'll start to see change.  Until people stop buying overpriced blu-rays and dvd's, which is now starting to happen, we won't see a major shift.

The online distribution method isn't without its own problems.  You have movie studios making deals with certain online systems (i.e. Sony deal with Amazon but not with Netflix) so you have to have multiple memberships with different online retailers.  The movie studios just need to pick the top 3-4 online sites and make deals to offer their entire libraries giving users a choice to which one they want.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
Sure it feels good ( I remember getting free songs off of Napster) but it kills certain industries. I'm sure Tu Holmes can tell you how piracy effects the video game industry.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
Sure it feels good ( I remember getting free songs off of Napster) but it kills certain industries. I'm sure Tu Holmes can tell you how piracy effects the video game industry.
I dont know much about video games nowadays but 59 dollars for a video game? When i was young naive and still mesmerized by virtual worlds i would have spend a lot of money in video games that were in fact pos but now i know better, and have other more mature centers of interest i dont see the point paying something 59$ for like 10 hours of entertainment...and how many times are people disapointed after buying games that are simply always the same mecahnics or willingly released broken... and they release a better improved game only 6 months later and you have to pay 59 again for 10 hours of the slightly modified entertianment? makes no sense. Only young kids or stupid teens would fall for that crap, they are the target. I m not speaking about games that are only played online and have a longer lifespan, these ones might deserve a maybe 15 bucks tag price, they can be addictive. Theater tickets are also waaay overpriced it's ridiculous.

But as said previously you need people to massively pirate cause they simply cant pay for that shit anymore for the industries to adapt. It's going to happen soon considering how people are getting poorer by the day.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »
I dont know much about video games nowadays but 59 dollars for a video game? When i was young naive and still mesmerized by virtual worlds i would have spend a lot of money in video games that were in fact pos but now i know better, and have other more mature centers of interest i dont see the point paying something 59$ for like 10 hours of entertainment...and how many times are people disapointed after buying games that are simply always the same mecahnics or willingly released broken... and they release a better improved game only 6 months later and you have to pay 59 again for 10 hours of the slightly modified entertianment? makes no sense. Only young kids or stupid teens would fall for that crap, they are the target. I m not speaking about games that are only played online and have a longer lifespan, these ones might deserve a maybe 15 bucks tag price, they can be addictive.

But as said previously you need people to massively pirate cause they simply cant pay for that shit anymore for the industries to adapt.
It depends. Games like Gears Of War, Halo, Call Of Duty etc.... Pay for themselves many times over, due to multiplayer (online). A good game is well worth 60 bucks.