Author Topic: Obama is a dithering controlling risk averse failure as POTUS  (Read 4015 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama is a dithering controlling risk averse failure as POTUS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
The insider-account of the damaging divisions between the White House and the State Department comes as diplomats around the world wait to see if John Kerry, the new US secretary of state, can persuade Mr Obama to greater engagement on Syria, Egypt and the wider Middle East.

Vali Nasr, a university professor who was seconded in 2009 to work with Richard Holbrooke, Mr Obama's special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, records his profound disillusion at how a "Berlin Wall" of domestic-focused advisers was erected to protect Mr Obama.

"The president had a truly disturbing habit of funnelling major foreign policy decisions through a small cabal of relatively inexperienced White House advisers whose turf was strictly politics," Mr Nasr writes in The Dispensable Nation: America Foreign policy in Retreat.

The book sets out in detail how Mr Holbrooke, appointed with great fanfare in 2009, was systematically cut out of decision making as both he and Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state, tried to argue the merits of engaging with the Taliban and the dangers caused by the overuse of drones.

(AFP)

Related Articles
Rodman: Kim wants Obama phonecall
04 Mar 2013
US aircraft carrier in front line of Obama's battle over $85 billion cuts
02 Mar 2013
Obama attacks 'inexcusable' cuts
02 Mar 2013
Obama signs order on $85bn cuts
02 Mar 2013
Obama lays blame on Republicans
01 Mar 2013
Obama attacks 'dumb' sequester cuts
01 Mar 2013

"The White House seemed to see an actual benefit in not doing too much," Prof Nasr writes, "The goal was to spare the president the risks that necessarily come with playing the leadership role that America claims to play in this region."

Admiral Mike Mullen, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff until September 2011, is quoted lamenting how little support Mrs Clinton received from the White House, even though she remained on good personal terms with Mr Obama.

"They want to control everything," Admiral Mullen is quoted as saying of a White House that Prof Nasr says was "ravenous" in its desire to manage foreign policy, even by the to-be-expected standards of turf wars between diplomatic and national security teams.

As Mr Kerry prepares to return home from his first trip abroad in his new role, Western diplomats in Washington say they are watching carefully to see whether he will be able to put meat on the bones of his promise yesterday to "empower" Syrian rebels in their fight against the Assad regime.

John Kerry and Moaz Al Khatib in Rome on Friday (AFP)

Last week Mr Kerry pledged $60m in new support, including medical kits and food aid, which will go direct to rebel fighters for the first time, but still falls far short of British and French ambitions to provide more military materials such as flak jackets and night-vision goggles.

William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, is expected to announce a British aid package this week and has done little to hide his impatience on the issue.

Diplomatic sources in Washington say that Mr Kerry had been "left under no illusion" by his European allies of the desire for greater action, but that it was still very far from clear if the White House was serious about stepping up aid. Rebel groups remain openly sceptical.

Analysts looking for signs that Mr Obama might be prepared to be more engaged on foreign policy in his second term found little to suggest a change of heart in his Second Inaugural speech and last month's State of the Union address.

"American foreign policy has been on a four-year autopilot, which I argue has been excessively risk averse and domestically focused. I don't see any clear decision yet to change that," said Mr Nasr in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

"I wrote this book to problematise the way Obama has approached this whole region, and that it is dangerous to disengage and confuse a low-level foreign policy with success in foreign policy," he concluded.

"My hope is that Kerry will be able to do more, but it is still early. He's definitely trying to create more US engagement, but there has to be a fundamental, strategic decision in the White House to reorientate our approach."

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
Aren't you worried about the gestapo knocking on your door in the middle of the night? ???

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
Aren't you worried about the gestapo knocking on your door in the middle of the night? ???

In NYS Cuomo commie regime is our utmost threat 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »
4 more years of Obama....yahhooooo!!!!!!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »
4 more years of Obama....yahhooooo!!!!!!

yahhooo!!! for people like yourself who are benefiting tremendously (from Obama) at the cost of others.   :-\

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
yahhooo!!! for people like yourself who are benefiting tremendously (from Obama) at the cost of others.   :-\

yes I am benefitting....he's keeping me safe from terrorists, making the rich pay their fair share so I don't have to put more than I'm supposed to into the treasury, giving me universal healthcare so I can live longer and healthier, etc...

YEP.... benefitting tremendously

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »

Are they benefitting? It's the Obama voters, who are yelping about their checks being smaller. Their hours are being cut to avoid the ObamaCare fines. Some are flat-out being laid off.

Premiums have shot up by over $2000, with a projected 7 million to lose their insurance (so much for, "If you like your plan, you can keep it). Then, there's that whole "death panel" thing. BTW, which group of seniors do you think are going to get the thumbs-down, to save money? Can you say BLACK seniors?

And, the pain is only going to get worse. Obama would rather have Americans suffer indiscriminately than take responsibility for his own policies. He ran from control of the sequester cuts like a scalded dog.

Yet, Andre is yahoo-ing this crap.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
yes I am benefitting....he's keeping me safe from terrorists, making the rich pay their fair share so I don't have to put more than I'm supposed to into the treasury, giving me universal healthcare so I can live longer and healthier, etc...

LOL!!!!  Spoken like a slave 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »
Are they benefitting? It's the Obama voters, who are yelping about their checks being smaller. Their hours are being cut to avoid the ObamaCare fines. Some are flat-out being laid off.

Premiums have shot up by over $2000, with a projected 7 million to lose their insurance (so much for, "If you like your plan, you can keep it). Then, there's that whole "death panel" thing. BTW, which group of seniors do you think are going to get the thumbs-down, to save money? Can you say BLACK seniors?

And, the pain is only going to get worse. Obama would rather have Americans suffer indiscriminately than take responsibility for his own policies. He ran from control of the sequester cuts like a scalded dog.

Yet, Andre is yahoo-ing this crap.

HA!..we sure are angry aren't we???....FOUR MORE YEARS>>>>>DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »

As a 94r - you should be ashamed of yourself 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

GIVE ME A BREAK!! Safe from terrorists? You mean like the underwear and Times Square bombers, who only got caught, because they couldn't detonate the bombs?

Fair share? You really are one of those "low-information voters". YOU are going to get hit harder than those EEEEEVVVVIIIILLL rich people. Either they will find a way to avoid those tax hikes or they will pass them on to YOU, via higher costs for goods and services.

Universal healthcare? Good luck with that. You may be one of those 7 million, slated to LOSE their coverage. Then, you'll still be fined for not having coverage. And woe unto you, if the government is your only option. If their care sucks or is too expensive, you got NOWHERE ELSE to go (which is precisely what Obama and the libs want).

And, as usual, you mistake pointing out the obvious Obama disasters with anger.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
As a 94r - you should be ashamed of yourself 

as a 53er, you're a loser

FOUR MORE YEARS>>>>>DEAL WITH IT!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

Your check just got siphoned....DEAL WITH IT!!!

Your hours may be cut at work....DEAL WITH IT!!!

You may not have a job, if your employer can't afford to pay for your benefits....DEAL WITH IT!!!

Gas is still well over $3 a gallon......DEAL WITH IT!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »
as a 53er, you're a loser

FOUR MORE YEARS>>>>>DEAL WITH IT!!!!

The country is worse off due to your emotional vote 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
Your check just got siphoned....DEAL WITH IT!!!

Your hours may be cut at work....DEAL WITH IT!!!

You may not have a job, if your employer can't afford to pay for your benefits....DEAL WITH IT!!!

Gas is still well over $3 a gallon......DEAL WITH IT!!!

don't get hysterical.....just relax and let Obama run things for you so that your life will become better...

FOUR MORE YEARS>>>>>DEAL WITH IT!!!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
The country is worse off due to your emotional vote 

you honestly believe that Romney would have made thinss better by giving MORE tax cuts to the rich???..that was his only plan

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
don't get hysterical.....just relax and let Obama run things for you so that your life will become better...

FOUR MORE YEARS>>>>>DEAL WITH IT!!!

That's what you Obama sheep said four years ago. Look what happened.

Obama doesn't have the balls to run things. That's why he ran away from this sequester thing. Instead of controlling the cuts, he want to run and hide and let the maximum pain hit, just as long as he can blame somebody else.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
Good posts MCWAY, great breakdown!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

Obama doesn't have the balls to run things. That's why he ran away from this sequester thing. Instead of controlling the cuts, he want to run and hide and let the maximum pain hit, just as long as he can blame somebody else.

its not his fault the republicans don't want to negotiate......anyway I want the sequester to happen.....I'm tired of Gov't making promises it doesn't keep

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
its not his fault the republicans don't want to negotiate......anyway I want the sequester to happen.....I'm tired of Gov't making promises it doesn't keep

That's funny! Obama didn't. Until Friday, you'd thought the Four Horsemen of the apocalypse were going to hit America (and I don't mean Flair, Blanchard, and the Andersons).

You're tired of government not keeping promises; yet you voted for Obama again? Who's drinking too much bad Cell-Tech NOW?  ;D

Just to recap, Obama did not:

- Keep unemployment under 8%
- Close Gitmo
- Reform immigration, in his first year
- Cut the deficit in half
- Ensure people could keep their healthcare plan under ObamaCare
- Lower premiums costs, under ObamaCare
- Create all those 'shovel-ready jobs"
- Produce 500,000 jobs per month, during the "Summer of Recovery" in 2010.

I can keep going, but Christmas is in 9 months and change.

Nothing is Obama's fault. Poor little president, can't get anything done because of those mean ol' Weepubwicans.  ::)

Reagan accomplished much, despite not having control of either House of Congress.

Clinton did much, despite only having Congress under his rule for 2 years.

What's Obama's excuse?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 08:54:24 PM »
giving me universal healthcare so I can live longer and healthier, etc...

Obama isn't giving you Universal Healthcare, productive, hardworking tax payers are.  Not only are they paying for their family, they're paying for your family too.  

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »

That was the plan all along. Congress has become predictable. If he didn't want it, he would have vetoed it.
Meanwhile, they've got the American people yelling & screaming at each other, instead of pointing the fingers of blame at their so-called representatives who refused to work together in order to avert this. What good will yelling & screaming at Obama do? ...do you think it will hurt his chances of being elected to another term as potus? ...but blaming him could divert enough eyeballs in order to save a congressional seat, and keep people from scrutinizing various powerful lobbies.
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »
you honestly believe that Romney would have made thinss better by giving MORE tax cuts to the rich???..that was his only plan

I sure do. BTW, if libs are so bent on the rich paying their so-called "fair share", kindly explain Al Gore's attempt to unload his flailing cable network to Al Jazeera BEFORE Obama's tax hikes hit (after stating on camera that he and other rich folks should pay higher taxes).

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I sure do. BTW, if libs are so bent on the rich paying their so-called "fair share", kindly explain Al Gore's attempt to unload his flailing cable network to Al Jazeera BEFORE Obama's tax hikes hit (after stating on camera that he and other rich folks should pay higher taxes).

There's a big difference between being A representative of something, and being representative of something
w