Author Topic: Is it weird to want a piece of art by Adolph Hitler?  (Read 1369 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Is it weird to want a piece of art by Adolph Hitler?
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »
The art thread made me think of this. I have been looking for a piece by him, and thought Bout buying one. You can pick up a sketch for around ten grand, which is a lot to pay I know, but if it doesn't sting too bad, why not. My question, do any of you find it weird? I'm not asking for approval, just wondering if my thought process on this is skewed by my love of history and the world wars. I have a Rommel signature and am going to get a Patton and possibly a Mussolini to have in my office/study. Would any of you hang this in your office without fear of explaining it to a visitor? I want to clarify, I'm not a person who worships him, and think the dude went too far, but wanted to own something that most would compare to being made by the devil himself. What say you getbig?

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: Is it weird to want a piece of art by Adolph Hitler?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
It's only weird if you want it to be.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:15:56 AM »
It's only weird if you want it to be.

;D

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:11 AM »
Nothing weird about it. And yes i bet most people would get a "kick" out of his sketch, so i would put it in my office/study.

Weird is digging up graves to shave dead peoples hair... (Which you could then collect).
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:33 AM »

One would have thought all his work would have been destroyed.

As history enthusiast myself, yes I can understand someone wanting to own piece of 'art' done by this character. From historical point of view.
Although I must note, I wouldn't buy it myself. But I wouldn't consider it weird.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:46:53 AM »
donīt think itīs weird but i would not hang it in your office. trouble is while we understand why from your explanation.. some wonīt.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
It's a part of history.  I have a few nazi artifacts given to me by my grandfather who fought in Germany during WWII
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »
One would have thought all his work would have been destroyed.

As history enthusiast myself, yes I can understand someone wanting to own piece of 'art' done by this character. From historical point of view.
Although I must note, I wouldn't buy it myself. But I wouldn't consider it weird.

Don't think I haven't thought about some Stalin memorabilia too my Finnish friend.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
I think it's weird that you think it's weird.

It isn't weird to be interested in historical artifacts.  8)

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
Don't think I haven't thought about some Stalin memorabilia too my Finnish friend.

Hah yes.. but make no mistake, I'm not glorifying Stalin either !

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
It's a part of history.  I have a few nazi artifacts given to me by my grandfather who fought in Germany during WWII
wrote this before but i have had conversations with ex Stalingrad vets and a neighbour who was in U boats and ended up in scotland as a pow this is why i think we got on ok. The stalingrad man was in the intensive care in the hospital like i was because i have an illness. He was dying of cancer and we spoke about the training he did and i must admit he opend up his heart because he knew he was dying. He told me that the Russian soldiers never had anything to eat either and were starving. He never said a bad word about the Russians and just said they were just like us. I also liked my neighbour who was in the u boats. he always was very kind to my 2 boys and they used to go over into his Garden and get apples from his trees. he died a few years ago from Parkens disease but my wife still sees his wife and says hello.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
wrote this before but i have had conversations with ex Stalingrad vets and a neighbour who was in U boats and ended up in scotland as a pow this is why i think we got on ok. The stalingrad man was in the intensive care in the hospital like i was because i have an illness. He was dying of cancer and we spoke about the training he did and i must admit he opend up his heart because he knew he was dying. He told me that the Russian soldiers never had anything to eat either and were starving. He never said a bad word about the Russians and just said they were just like us. I also liked my neighbour who was in the u boats. he always was very kind to my 2 boys and they used to go over into his Garden and get apples from his trees. he died a few years ago from Parkens disease but my wife still sees his wife and says hello.

That's pretty cool. I bet that guy told you things he didn't tell his own children. My grandfather was in the Battle of Leyte gulf, and told me stories as a kid, that my mom wasn't aware of. I remember in my psych classes they talked of this, that vets were afraid to talk about this stuff to their kids, but usually had no problems talking to neighbors or grand kids about it. Good stuff Donny, I'm sure he told you some cool shit.

mass243

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »

It's always great to hear it from the men who have experienced the stuff themselves.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
buy a sketch from me.  :)
X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
buy a sketch from me.  :)

Is your name Hitler? ???

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »

Thats a great story Donny, thanks for sharing it. Just goes to show that ordinary people get on fine, it's the politicians who create the wars.  From the safety of their war rooms of course.

Hope you are feeling better after your stay in hospital.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 04:40:57 AM »
Thanks big al... :)

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 06:27:17 AM »
hitler was not a  great artist . he should have painted auscwitz .