Author Topic: Less young men becoming bodybuilders  (Read 4992 times)

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Less young men becoming bodybuilders
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
With the advent of Crossfit and other programs designed to develop all around functional ability, there are far less young guys getting involved in bodybuilding. Many gyms in fact are discouraging bodybuilding altogether. We have guys in their 40's dominating the Arnold. I fear for the future of our sport. How come young guys aren't getting into this lifestyle anymore?

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
Re: Less young men becoming bodybuilders
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »

Less young men becoming anything.

More and more fukin' autistic fatsos lying on couch with their wow's and whatever.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »
It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways
It's still rock & roll to me.
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

Still building your body. Fads come and go.  Gyms cash in on them when they are hot.
A

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways
It's still rock & roll to me.
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

Still building your body. Fads come and go.  Gyms cash in on them when they are hot.
Sort of an odd response. Could you maybe remove that post and then not return? thanx

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
Probably the spreading of knowledge that the pro physique-athlete look is not achievable without PED has played a role?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »
Sort of an odd response. Could you maybe remove that post and then not return? thanx

No.
A

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
No.
Guy, you come on here and post a gay poem in the middle of a bodybuilding thread. Just really stupid.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Too many young men give up their training for too much booze and whores

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Still plenty of young men in bodybiddin' making us all proud:

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »
The Gym that just opened where i live sent out flyers and in it it stated we do not do hard core bodybuilding. I think itīs so they get a wider spectrum of clients. They do have a great free weight section and smith machines etc..  The thing is Gyms now have to survive and cater for young and older people who want to train for fitness. Infact i remember one job interview i had in a gym (fitness spa) the Gym owner said you look muscular and trained but not massive and we do not want that here because it intimidates the clients. To be honest the most gyms are like that now. I also had to take gym members outside for cardio and running. This is what most want now. The only Gym what i would consider hardcore where i live is now closed. I think it depends where you live and your friends too. most guys i know are into Martial arts and cardio big time. I am infact the odd one out who has always liked to weight train. maybe this is another thing...in Arnolds time there was more guys attracted to being diffrent and original.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
Guy, you come on here and post a gay poem in the middle of a bodybuilding thread. Just really stupid.

Billy Joel is not gay.    Im staying.  You're my new project.
A

ZeroPatience

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
It isn't because of crossfit or other gay fitness programs imo, it is because this generation of young people are lazy fucks. I was at the gym yesterday with my old man. He is 69 years old! He lifts weights like a guy half his age and is still pretty damn strong. As we are training arms, some skinny fat loser walks in, wearinf a bandana and a hoodie pulled over his ugly head. He proceeds to get on the stationary bike, headphones in and tv on. I'm not a hater towards people who do some cardio, but this fuck was biking at a speed my dead grandmother would laugh at. I was literally disgusted.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
The Gym that just opened where i live sent out flyers and in it it stated we do not do hard core bodybuilding. I think itīs so they get a wider spectrum of clients. They do have a great free weight section and smith machines etc..  The thing is Gyms now have to survive and cater for young and older people who want to train for fitness. Infact i remember one job interview i had in a gym (fitness spa) the Gym owner said you look muscular and trained but not massive and we do not want that here because it intimidates the clients. To be honest the most gyms are like that now. I also had to take gym members outside for cardio and running. This is what most want now. The only Gym what i would consider hardcore where i live is now closed. I think it depends where you live and your friends too. most guys i know are into Martial arts and cardio big time. I am infact the odd one out who has always liked to weight train. maybe this is another thing...in Arnolds time there was more guys attracted to being diffrent and original.

average gym membership = $50 a month or so

average crossfit membership = $120 a month i think

average mma/gym membership = $200 a month i think

add those muthafuckin figures up. shit is easier than the dope game

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:26:39 AM »
If I see tbombz ass one more time I'm gonna poke my fucking eyes out. Weird kid...

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »
It isn't because of crossfit or other gay fitness programs imo, it is because this generation of young people are lazy fucks. I was at the gym yesterday with my old man. He is 69 years old! He lifts weights like a guy half his age and is still pretty damn strong. As we are training arms, some skinny fat loser walks in, wearinf a bandana and a hoodie pulled over his ugly head. He proceeds to get on the stationary bike, headphones in and tv on. I'm not a hater towards people who do some cardio, but this fuck was biking at a speed my dead grandmother would laugh at. I was literally disgusted.

He was just trying to avoid burning muscle and keeping the heart rate at optimal level for fat loss.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
Yea, no more big dudes around. Big ass muscles could be seen a penny a dozen in the 90's. everyone had them and everyone was gassed. Fast forward 15 years and I literally only see dudes with huge size in powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms. And even then, 90% of them carry about 80% body fat   ::)

True body builders .... I'm actually saddened to think about it now, as I haven't done so in years, just aren't around any more.

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
They have no time for bodybuilding, with 16 hours a day of playing Call of Duty Part 61,473 seven days a week.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
average gym membership = $50 a month or so

average crossfit membership = $120 a month i think

average mma/gym membership = $200 a month i think

add those muthafuckin figures up. shit is easier than the dope game
well true to a point but where i live even Martial arts centres have to bring their prices down such as Kenpokan in Hannover( the link i posted in a martial arts thread) they have very good experience their and now have to compete with Studios charging 20 euros a month. which is very cheap and is now common here in Germany.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
Bodybuilding is dying. I think many just see it as a sport based on drugs. The sport couldn't exist without drugs. Who can relate to a 260lbs bloated blob that couldn't be useful in any athletic endeavor? I said it before but Men's Health magazine sells more magazines and makes more money than all the bodybuilding magazines combined.

Guys are into performance and not just looking good in a speedo. I am not a cross fit guy but if you really trained hard using their protocol it would kick anyone's ass. Young insecure men used to flock to bodybuilding and now the jiu jitsu dojos are packed with guys that prior to the UFC would be pumping iron. In New Jersey these MMA type submission wrestling schools are everywhere. There are 5 within 5 miles of my house.

The biggest change I have see in gyms are they use to be 99% guys. Now they seem to be 50%.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »
Yea, no more big dudes around. Big ass muscles could be seen a penny a dozen in the 90's. everyone had them and everyone was gassed. Fast forward 15 years and I literally only see dudes with huge size in powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms. And even then, 90% of them carry about 80% body fat   ::)

True body builders .... I'm actually saddened to think about it now, as I haven't done so in years, just aren't around any more.

a guy told me in the 90's you could buy pro hormones off the counter in protein stores and the fat burners all had massive doses of caffeine and ephedra. said that was the only good thing about supplements back then

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
Gym owners see it diffrent. they will give a guy like this a very basic programme and he will be happy. He pays his contract and feels good that he is a gym member. a lot of people i have trained are office workers who are intelligent but do not understand anatomy. so i will train them on a programme for overall fitness but will specialize on a weakness such as Deltoids(posterior head and Rhomboids). this is because i look at how they stand and walk. you can see muscle disbalance straight away and this is even before they tell me where they have pain or problems. I look at a person how they move and i know.

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »
bodybuilding requires too much work to be decent at.. Any cock sucker can go to the MMA gym, learn a few moves and think they are cool and tough... bodybuilding is 24/7 to look halfway decent.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Bodybuilding is dying. I think many just see it as a sport based on drugs. The sport couldn't exist without drugs. Who can relate to a 260lbs bloated blob that couldn't be useful in any athletic endeavor? I said it before but Men's Health magazine sells more magazines and makes more money than all the bodybuilding magazines combined.

Guys are into performance and not just looking good in a speedo. I am not a cross fit guy but if you really trained hard using their protocol it would kick anyone's ass. Young insecure men used to flock to bodybuilding and now the jiu jitsu dojos are packed with guys that prior to the UFC would be pumping iron. In New Jersey these MMA type submission wrestling schools are everywhere. There are 5 within 5 miles of my house.

The biggest change I have see in gyms are they use to be 99% guys. Now they seem to be 50%.
bodybuilding is not dying, as there are always extremistic, insecure losers and...gay schmoes buying into it, it will always be a niche market. But yeah 80% of people interested in physical conditioning will always focus on natural weight lifting/crossfit etc. Fact is as you said it, physical conditioning (lifting weight doing cardio, controlling your nutrition to achieve a toned functional body) is indead cattering to a wider audience nowadays, wether it is male or female, old middle aged or young people. It also makes more people go the ped route even if the majority stays natural. Thisis what happen when people get richer and more numerous.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
a guy told me in the 90's you could buy pro hormones off the counter in protein stores and the fat burners all had massive doses of caffeine and ephedra. said that was the only good thing about supplements back then

Fuck yea. We used to buy and use Pro Hormones all the time without knowing what it really was. LA Muscle and the old Muscletech Pro hormones comes to mind. Mega Mass 2000/4000, anyone remember that shit? Anything tub or bottle with some serious muscle on we used. Uncle Joe must've made a fucking fortune out of me alone. But then in the late 90's and my late teens I wizened up, stopped all that shit and dabbled with juice. Within 8 weeks I gained more muscle than I did 5 years training my fucking teenage ass off as a natural. But it never felt real as I lost it just as fast when coming off. I was 22-23 and lost all interest in bodybuilding after that.

However, every time I visit my folks and stay in my old room, I open my desk drawers and read all the Flex and Muscle Mags of the 90's. I see pictures of old contests and can tell you EVERY SINGLE name from winner to 20th place. And I get a slight feeling of nostalgia where I wonder what happened to this sport I was once so very very into.