Author Topic: Jeb Bush disavows own book on immigration reform after GOP outcry  (Read 1311 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
this guy is the Republican great hope for 2016

The dude spent a year writing a book and then disavows his own point of view within 24 hours of it's publication?

Jeb Bush disavows own book on immigration reform after GOP outcry
Former Florida governor surprises party with new book that opposes a path to citizenship – then quickly changes his mind

Ewen MacAskill
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 March 2013 14.18 EST

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush, one of the Republicans' leading hopes for the 2016 presidential election, was speedily backtracking Tuesday after throwing into confusion the party's stance on immigration reform, one of the key issues of Barack Obama's second term.

Bush, long a champion of immigration reform in the face of sustained Republican grassroots opposition, surprised his own party by adopting a more right-wing stance in a new book, Immigration Wars, published Tuesday. But within hours of publication, he changed his position again, reverting to his original, more progressive line.

Bush's about-turns come as the Obama administration is pushing for immigration reform that would create a path to citizenship for the estimated 11 million undocumented workers in the US, many of whom crossed the border illegally from Mexico.

The Republican party, having been badly punished by Latinos in the November White House election over its opposition to reform, has been shifting its position over the last four months. A bipartisan group in the Senate, that includes Republicans Marco Rubio, John McCain and Lindsey Graham, is due to publish proposals for a bill this month supporting a path to citizenship.

But Bush, in the book co-authored with constitutional lawyer Clint Bolick, puts himself at odds with the bill emerging from the Senate. Instead of a path to citizenship, he argues in favour of a path only to residency. Pro-immigration groups oppose the latter option, saying there would be little incentive for undocumented workers to come forward.

Interviewed on the Today programme on Monday ahead of publication, Bush said that rewarding "illegal immigrants" with citizenship would just encourage more to cross the border.

"I think there has to be some difference between people who come here legally and illegally. It is just a matter of common sense and a matter of the rule of law. If we're not going to apply the law fairly and consistently, we're going to have another wave of illegal immigrants coming into the country," he said.

But 24 hours later, after widespread surprise over his unexpected policy shift, Bush went on MSNBC to disavow the views in the book. He said he would support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants if a way could be found to produce legislation that would not act as magnet for more undocumented migrants.

"If you can craft that in law, where you can have a path to citizenship where there isn't an incentive for people to come illegally, I'm for it," he said. "I don't have a problem with it. I don't see you how you do it, but I'm not smart enough to figure out every aspect of a really complex law."

The book was supposed to be part of a campaign to position Bush, brother of George W Bush, as a potential future candidate for the Republican presidential nomination. He refused in an interview on Monday to rule out running in four years' time.

Instead of building a platform on which Bush could run, the book has damaged the reputation he built up as a popular and astute politician. The debacle has opened him up to accusations by opponents of being a flip-flopper, one of the charges against failed 2012 Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

One of Bush's main rivals for the Republican nomination is expected to be Rubio, the senator from Florida who is of Cuban descent and who is promoting a bill that would offer a path to citizenship.

There was no clear explanation Tuesday why Bush shifted to the right. One view is that he wanted to position himself to the right of Rubio. Another explanation was that Bush, who is married to a Mexican who became an American citizen, remains committed to reform and his move was simply tactical. According to this interpretation, he did not think when he handed the draft for publication before Christmas that the Republican party would stomach the prospect of a path to citizenship and did not anticipate the shift in mood that seems to have occurred.

Marshall Fitz, director of immigration policy at the Center for American Progress, said in the National Journal: "He sent the book to the printer at a time when he was anticipating the direction of the debate tilting against citizenship. It is clearly contrary to what he has said before. In hindsight, Americans have always judged severely efforts to deny citizenship to classes of people. Is this really the GOP's path out of the political wilderness?"

Immigration reform is one of the few areas in deeply divided Washington where there is scope for compromise, at least in the Senate. The proposed bill could still run into trouble from Republicans in the House who had been quiet on the issue and may be emboldened by Bush's opposition, albeit temporary, opposition to a path to citizenship.

The controversy is set to dog Bush. He is scheduled to speak at the libertarian thinktank the Cato Institute on Wednesday about immigration and is one of the key speakers at a major conservative conference in Washington, CPAC, later this month

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/05/jeb-bush-disavows-immigration-reform

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Jeb Bush disavows own book on immigration reform after GOP outcry
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
LOL!!!  Imagine the suckers that actually pre ordered the book and by the time they finished Chapter 3, he had changed his mind. 

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
LOL!!!  Imagine the suckers that actually pre ordered the book and by the time they finished Chapter 3, he had changed his mind.  

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

what I truly don't understand is why Jeb doesn't act like a LEADER and stand up for his beliefs and LEAD his party

that's what those dumb fucks actually need and yet even Jeb (the so called smart Bush) can't seem to figure that out

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
What a fucking flake.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Lol at great republican hope...

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Man, too much.  Unbelievable, that we'd allow ourselves to be faced with a Bush versus Clinton.

Really makes me wonder...

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
Man, too much.  Unbelievable, that we'd allow ourselves to be faced with a Bush versus Clinton.

Really makes me wonder...

I hear ya.  The thought of it disturbs me.  Political dynasties are repugnant.
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »

Hillary vs Jeb.     Yuyeeeeaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »

Yeah, plus the nagging feeling of being conned by a very organized, defined group of criminals.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
this guy is the Republican great hope for 2016

The dude spent a year writing a book and then disavows his own point of view within 24 hours of it's publication?

Jeb Bush disavows own book on immigration reform after GOP outcry
Former Florida governor surprises party with new book that opposes a path to citizenship – then quickly changes his mind

Ewen MacAskill
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 March 2013 14.18 EST

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush, one of the Republicans' leading hopes for the 2016 presidential election, was speedily backtracking Tuesday after throwing into confusion the party's stance on immigration reform, one of the key issues of Barack Obama's second term.

Bush, long a champion of immigration reform in the face of sustained Republican grassroots opposition, surprised his own party by adopting a more right-wing stance in a new book, Immigration Wars, published Tuesday. But within hours of publication, he changed his position again, reverting to his original, more progressive line.

Bush's about-turns come as the Obama administration is pushing for immigration reform that would create a path to citizenship for the estimated 11 million undocumented workers in the US, many of whom crossed the border illegally from Mexico.

The Republican party, having been badly punished by Latinos in the November White House election over its opposition to reform, has been shifting its position over the last four months. A bipartisan group in the Senate, that includes Republicans Marco Rubio, John McCain and Lindsey Graham, is due to publish proposals for a bill this month supporting a path to citizenship.

But Bush, in the book co-authored with constitutional lawyer Clint Bolick, puts himself at odds with the bill emerging from the Senate. Instead of a path to citizenship, he argues in favour of a path only to residency. Pro-immigration groups oppose the latter option, saying there would be little incentive for undocumented workers to come forward.

Interviewed on the Today programme on Monday ahead of publication, Bush said that rewarding "illegal immigrants" with citizenship would just encourage more to cross the border.

"I think there has to be some difference between people who come here legally and illegally. It is just a matter of common sense and a matter of the rule of law. If we're not going to apply the law fairly and consistently, we're going to have another wave of illegal immigrants coming into the country," he said.

But 24 hours later, after widespread surprise over his unexpected policy shift, Bush went on MSNBC to disavow the views in the book. He said he would support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants if a way could be found to produce legislation that would not act as magnet for more undocumented migrants.

"If you can craft that in law, where you can have a path to citizenship where there isn't an incentive for people to come illegally, I'm for it," he said. "I don't have a problem with it. I don't see you how you do it, but I'm not smart enough to figure out every aspect of a really complex law."

The book was supposed to be part of a campaign to position Bush, brother of George W Bush, as a potential future candidate for the Republican presidential nomination. He refused in an interview on Monday to rule out running in four years' time.

Instead of building a platform on which Bush could run, the book has damaged the reputation he built up as a popular and astute politician. The debacle has opened him up to accusations by opponents of being a flip-flopper, one of the charges against failed 2012 Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

One of Bush's main rivals for the Republican nomination is expected to be Rubio, the senator from Florida who is of Cuban descent and who is promoting a bill that would offer a path to citizenship.

There was no clear explanation Tuesday why Bush shifted to the right. One view is that he wanted to position himself to the right of Rubio. Another explanation was that Bush, who is married to a Mexican who became an American citizen, remains committed to reform and his move was simply tactical. According to this interpretation, he did not think when he handed the draft for publication before Christmas that the Republican party would stomach the prospect of a path to citizenship and did not anticipate the shift in mood that seems to have occurred.

Marshall Fitz, director of immigration policy at the Center for American Progress, said in the National Journal: "He sent the book to the printer at a time when he was anticipating the direction of the debate tilting against citizenship. It is clearly contrary to what he has said before. In hindsight, Americans have always judged severely efforts to deny citizenship to classes of people. Is this really the GOP's path out of the political wilderness?"

Immigration reform is one of the few areas in deeply divided Washington where there is scope for compromise, at least in the Senate. The proposed bill could still run into trouble from Republicans in the House who had been quiet on the issue and may be emboldened by Bush's opposition, albeit temporary, opposition to a path to citizenship.

The controversy is set to dog Bush. He is scheduled to speak at the libertarian thinktank the Cato Institute on Wednesday about immigration and is one of the key speakers at a major conservative conference in Washington, CPAC, later this month

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/05/jeb-bush-disavows-immigration-reform

Great another flip-flopper like Romney.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »
Jeb's always been very open with his anti-illegal belief... which I admire!

However, he is completely aware of the current political climate- Dems are winning every national election because they dominate the hispanic voting block.  Bush got 44%... Romney got 27%?   That trend means a repub will never win Prez again.

So Jeb doesn't have a choice but to move to a position held by the MAJORITY of voters.  It aint' right (IMO), but its' the reality of the situation.  Once a position is generally accepted by more than 50% of voters, both parties have to adapt to it :(

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
Jeb's always been very open with his anti-illegal belief... which I admire!

However, he is completely aware of the current political climate- Dems are winning every national election because they dominate the hispanic voting block.  Bush got 44%... Romney got 27%?   That trend means a repub will never win Prez again.

So Jeb doesn't have a choice but to move to a position held by the MAJORITY of voters.  It aint' right (IMO), but its' the reality of the situation.  Once a position is generally accepted by more than 50% of voters, both parties have to adapt to it :(

And people will see through like they did with Romney.

Its better to vote for someone you disagree than someone with no spine.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
"Bush said that rewarding "illegal immigrants" with citizenship would just encourage more to cross the border"

wow, who would have thought?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
I will not vote for another Bush or Clinton or Obama.  I do not believe in royal families and Jeb Bush can fuck right off regardless of his stance on illegal immigration.  

I also think we need term limits for Senators.  We need to stop rewarding them for their poor performance.  There should not be a semi-permanent ruling class in the United States.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
These elitist motherfuckers are always angling toward that which supports globalism.  Always.  Don't fool yourself, even for a second.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:25 PM »
Yeah, plus the nagging feeling of being conned by a very organized, defined group of criminals.

There is certainly a process going on behind the scenes that chooses who becomes a candidate and that process has nothing to do with aptitude or the best interest of the people.
A

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
There is certainly a process going on behind the scenes that chooses who becomes a candidate and that process has nothing to do with aptitude or the best interest of the people.

So true...so horribly true

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »
Good...keep him out of the race from the start.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
I still don't get how this guy can spend a year putting down his personal beliefs on paper and putting it out in public and then as soon as he get's some push back from his party he caves

what kind of example is that for someone who wants to be a leader

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
I still don't get how this guy can spend a year putting down his personal beliefs on paper and putting it out in public and then as soon as he get's some push back from his party he caves

what kind of example is that for someone who wants to be a leader

General Republican primary candidate there.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
"Bush said that rewarding "illegal immigrants" with citizenship would just encourage more to cross the border"

wow, who would have thought?

That is what happened after regans reform, IR shouldn't even be talked about till the fence is finished and military is in place at the border

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
That is what happened after regans reform, IR shouldn't even be talked about till the fence is finished and military is in place at the border

Correct. A shit load of new laws and such were created to make sure mass illegal immigration wouldn't happen again.

It would have done just fine if any of the laws were actually enforced.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »

we have the national guard at the border, the media said the great Leader sent the troops to keep out the bad drug dealers and keep us safe! He's tough on immigration and border security and just a swell guy all round.

what the media didn't say was that the NG posted there are not allowed to engage anyone crossing and are there to hand out bottled water and supplies and give medical aid to any illegals who need it

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
LOL @ anyone who thinks we need 50k troops in SOUTH korea but zero troops at the US border.