Author Topic: how much is your heating bill (non electric)  (Read 1854 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
how much is your heating bill (non electric)
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
mine has been roughly 400 dollars a month wich is way to high but i have an oil furnace an my girl has been turning it up too much so i had to put her in her place but oil is fucking high, ive made some huge changes though but im guesing not much info on super cheap heating sources?

i know a good solar system setup is 30 grand  :'(

i dont wanna run a bunch of space heaters and put too much stress on the wiring

i could probably chop up woood i do have a chimney but i dont know anything about a chimney sweep i need to research that i dont wanna have a good ole fire and smoke blowing all in they house
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: how much is your heating bill (non electric)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
four hundred dollars, WTF
This is more than my whole winter bill... tell that bitch to switch off the heating and put on some extra clothes ;)
oil is like 4 something a gallon   :'(
 being a vegetarian i dont hold heat well however when summer hits , its very easy for me to take the heat
A

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
$400 a month, are you serious!?! Damn that's high, mine's around that for 3 months, including electric.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
Tell us more about "her", Johnny.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
$400 a month, are you serious!?! Damn that's high, mine's around that for 3 months, including electric.

i got a big house all brick and half siding probably not much insulation and got alot of windows. yeah thats too much i didnt really realize it because i have a huge oil tank that gets filled up every so often
A

Costanza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
i got a big house all brick and half siding probably not much insulation and got alot of windows. yeah thats too much i didnt really realize it because i have a huge oil tank that gets filled up every so often

You need to either shut off most of the rooms if you can and focus on heating one or two rooms only, or get that chimney clean and fire up the wood heater.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
You need to either shut off most of the rooms if you can and focus on heating one or two rooms only, or get that chimney clean and fire up the wood heater.
i hear closing vents is a bad idea because it decreases over all air flow in your system

Raises the static pressure on the air handler

A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
i hear closing vents is a bad idea because it decreases over all air flow in your system

noow im not sure if that reasoning is right but i have heard its a bad idea from professionals

Do you have an unfinished attic space?  Fill that son of a bitch with about 2 feet of blown cellulose insulation.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
Same here... I'll put 500.00 worth of oil in my tank, it will last all winter (3 months) and I live in frigid NH..

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
by shutting off vents  your unit will actually work harder, your energy bill will increase,
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
Do you have an unfinished attic space?  Fill that son of a bitch with about 2 feet of blown cellulose insulation.

yeah theres like no insulation up there but i cant crawl around in the attack way to small for a grown man my roof doesnt have a high pitch at all
A

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »
a month??

i would say about $6 here in Los Angeles

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
I suggest you start insulating asap
c

Costanza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »

Raises the static pressure on the air handler

Yeah you have to keep the vents open, otherwise tar and soot will build up and increase smoke emission, makes it less efficient too.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
I suggest you start insulating asap

yeah i wish i could but thats impossible to do in my attack the builders were probably just skimmin by i got my house in an auction
A

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
mine has been roughly 400 dollars a month wich is way to high but i have an oil furnace an my girl has been turning it up too much so i had to put her in her place but oil is fucking high, ive made some huge changes though but im guesing not much info on super cheap heating sources?

i know a good solar system setup is 30 grand  :'(

i dont wanna run a bunch of space heaters and put too much stress on the wiring

i could probably chop up woood i do have a chimney but i dont know anything about a chimney sweep i need to research that i dont wanna have a good ole fire and smoke blowing all in they house

Johnny I had to report this thread to Ronald because it's not bb related sorry.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Johnny I had to report this thread to Ronald because it's not bb related sorry.
:'(
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
yeah theres like no insulation up there but i cant crawl around in the attack way to small for a grown man my roof doesnt have a high pitch at all

Well, you should see if you can find a way to fill it up.  I bet that would be the least expensive improvement.  You lose so much heat through the roof.

Even if you just have a small access through your ceiling, set up the blower, stick your head through that hole and blow that shit as far in every direction as you can.

You can get retro foam sprayed into your walls too.  That makes a big difference. 

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
nothing beats electric (pulsed air or convector heater)+ wood stove combo. Adding a modern wood stove to a basic electric installation reduces costs by 50% in winters if all is well managed. Wood costs nothing, especially if you live near forests.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
nothing beats electric (pulsed air or convector heater)+ wood stove combo. Adding a wood stove to a basic electric installation reduces costs by 50% in winters if all is well managed.

Where I live, electric is more expensive (per BTU produced) than natural gas.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
About £80  a month.
If attick space is an issue Have you thought about insulating the celings using 2x2 timber battons screwed to the joists infilled with insulation batts then covered with foil backed plasterboard.
Should make a substantial difference to heat lost.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Roughly 600$ a year - all for wood.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
it is time to replace the oil system by a full electric one + wood stove. There s simply no other way to reduce costs, everyone here in canada does/did it. Oil furnaces are getting rarer and rarer, it just costs too much. Old people selling their houses with oil furnaces are forced to lower the prices considerably or nobody would be interested.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Yup cellulose is good shit. They can blow it into the outside walls too. They just core small holes here and there and blow it in so there is minimal patching of the sheetrock. If you want to get away from oil Johnay, look into the new condensing gas wall hung heaters. Super efficient, they dont maintain any volume of heated water. Like your oil boiler has maybe 25 gallons of water in it and even if you arent using the heat, the boiler is kicking on to maintain the temp of the water in the boiler. The gas heaters only turn on when you kick on the heat or hot water and it's essentially "instant" hot. There no pilot either like the older gas heaters so no wasted gas there. The system is prob about $4000 for labor and material. The big thing is weather you have natural gas or propane. i am guessing you have propane Falycon, so you would need a gas bottle which hikes up the cost of the system unfortunately. Unless of course you rent the bottle from the gas company but then you are locked in to their pricing

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
thanks for all the advices bros im taking notes..
A