Author Topic: Review my 'gaining without getting fat' diet  (Read 2733 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Review my 'gaining without getting fat' diet
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:13:21 PM »
I am on this diet now to grow without getting unneccesary fat, I'm 185 @ 6% bf now and i'm trying not to get too heavy/fat while gaining muscle

Tell me what you think? should something be changed, up or down?

Meal 1: Oatmeal, Cottage cheese, 2 whole Eggs, lowfat Ham
65g carbs, 40g protein

Meal 2: Whole-wheat pasta, 2 cans Tuna, (olive oil on it)
65g carbs, 50g protein

Meal 3: 2 Bananas (Pre W/O)
50-60g Carbs

WORKOUT

Meal 4: Dextrose and Whey protein (Post W/O)
65g carbs, 35-40g protein

Meal 5: Whole-wheat Pasta, Chicken
65g carbs, 42g protein

Meal 6: Oatmeal, Cottage cheese, low fat Ham
65g Carbs, 30g protein

Meal 7: Milk, 2 whole Eggs, 1 scoop Whey (Shake)
15g carbs, 30g protein

Total:
Carbs ~400g
Protein ~225

All meals are 2-3h apart except for #4 and 5 which are about 40min between em
tank u jesus

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
Re: Review my 'gaining without getting fat' diet
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »
meals 1 and 2 look fine but always take in protein before ur workout too, i would say 30-40g would be fine, and for the last meal cut out the milk, the whole purpose here is to gain muscle but saty lean, and maybe for that ur varbs are too high unless u r preforming a good amount of cardio and ur intensity is high during ur workouts.  see for me, bulking is pointless, my overall carb amount now on is around 200g AT MOST just because i ten to put on fat easy, even if its from a carb diet with low fats, it sucks but i like to be lean and will work harder to be that way. i would try a carb cycle, meaning having a moderate days, low days and a high day. good luck

muscle
muscle

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 06:46:44 AM »
Agreed with muscle19, i'd swap out a banana for a scoop of whey.  I wouldn't have as many carbs as you're having at meal 6.  Otherwise your food choices look good and everything.
:-)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 03:27:27 AM »
Thanks alot!! I appreciate the help! :)

I'm not doing cardio now, but i train hard! just changed it from 4 days aweek to 5 (getting everything done in 4 is hard! I can spend more time on some groups now) I reworked the diet a bit, cut out 80grams of carbs. see if you think it's good enough?

Meal 1: Oatmeal, Cottage cheese, 2 whole Eggs, lowfat Ham
65g carbs, 40g protein

Meal 2: Whole-wheat pasta, 2 cans Tuna, (olive oil on it)
65g carbs, 50g protein

Meal 3: 1 Banana, 3scoops Whey (Pre W/O)
25-27g carbs, 30g protein

WORKOUT

Meal 4: Dextrose and Whey protein (Post W/O)
65g Carbs, 35-40g protein

Meal 5: Whole-wheat Pasta, Chicken
50g carbs, 42g protein

Meal 6: Oatmeal, Cottage cheese, low fat Ham
50g Carbs, 30g protein

Meal 7: 2 whole Eggs, 1 scoop Whey (Shake)
0g Carbs, 25g protein

Total:
Carbs   ~320g
Protein ~250g

The point of this is that i want to put on as much muscle possible, while still being single digit BF (or 12% at most) at the end of it. So when i start to diet down in april or may, i don't have that much fat to loose.
tank u jesus

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 01:58:10 PM »
I do have some olive oil in both my pasta meals, I'll up the dose a bit to make sure i get enough.

On my saturday cheat-meal i sometimes have taco, there's alot of vegetables there ;D otherwise not much of it tough.
I eat bananas, doesn't that count as fruit?
tank u jesus

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
meals 1 and 2 look fine but always take in protein before ur workout too, i would say 30-40g would be fine, and for the last meal cut out the milk, the whole purpose here is to gain muscle but saty lean, and maybe for that ur varbs are too high unless u r preforming a good amount of cardio and ur intensity is high during ur workouts.  see for me, bulking is pointless, my overall carb amount now on is around 200g AT MOST just because i ten to put on fat easy, even if its from a carb diet with low fats, it sucks but i like to be lean and will work harder to be that way. i would try a carb cycle, meaning having a moderate days, low days and a high day. good luck

muscle
You make some good points Muscle, but let me add this.
I'm a lot like you in that I put on fat relatively easy, the upside is that I can add muscle fairly easy as well, but that wasn't all ways the case.  For years I fought with my desire to gain more muscle and not gain too much fat, and in short, my progress was limited.  Once I just finally accepted that some fat has got to come to really blow up some serious muscle, my progress has been ever increasing. Now I'm not saying eat truck loads of crap and blow up like the Michelin Man, but realize that fat is some what of a necessary evil.

You made a good point, he definitely needs to take in some protein pre-w/o, but as far as his carbs go, I say carb it up. Since he is sitting at 6% bf, I think he can probably afford to and needs to in order to make some real progress.

Now granted, much of my advice on here is probably a bit bias, and is geared a bit more towards those with competitive aspirations.  If he happens to have competition in his horizon, then he definitely wants to make the most out of a bulking period, and not shy away from the carbs, leaning out can be done when the time comes. But if he like many is just doing this for the sake of doing it, then maybe my advice is misplaced, who knows, I don't know the guy and I don't know how serious of a trainer he is or how active he is in his regular daily life.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:43:13 PM »
I'm guessing you've got around 3000 calories there, which is about right, but you may need to adjust it up or down based on your results. Track your progress (weight and bf%) closely.

Also, I'd add more fat, if the form of Olive Oil and Flax Oil, maybe a tbsp. of each.  If your total calories end up going too high, just adjust some of the carbs back.  Good fats are necessary as building blocks for hormones including testosterone, among other things, and you don't have enough of them in that diet.

As a side note, where are the fruits and vegetables?? It probably won't make a lot of difference in your bodybuilding results, but for good health, you should add lots of vegetables, and a serving or two of fruit for both vitamins and fiber.

Question:

When the fcuk did you start knowing all this shit about nutrition you old fart?  ::)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 11:17:57 AM »
o yeah alittle fat is neccessary expecially in the weight room where that will help him lift heavier weights, which in the end builds bigger muscles. i guess my point is to monitor how much fat ur putting on, again , some is fine, but really watch out for how much u put on. but again if u want to go the "LEE PRIEST" way, then do it. good luck on getting huge bro!

muscle
muscle

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 07:44:16 PM »
Question:

When the fcuk did you start knowing all this shit about nutrition you old fart?  ::)

YIP
Zack

Uhhh... I am a bodybuilder, and after 15 years of it, I know my shit just as well as anyone else.

It's just far more entertaining to talk about Flower's tits or make fart jokes than it is to talk about lifting or nutrition.
Ron: "I am lazy."

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 09:28:37 AM »
then ur on the wrong board my brother!  ;)

muscle
muscle