Author Topic: TSA screeners allow fed agent with fake bomb to pass through security at Newark  (Read 1980 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
TSA screeners allow fed agent with fake bomb to pass through security at Newark Airport
By PHILIP MESSING and CHUCK BENNETT
Last Updated: 7:29 AM, March 8, 2013
Posted: 3:16 AM, March 8, 2013

EXCLUSIVE

An undercover TSA inspector with an improvised explosive device stuffed in his pants got past two security screenings at Newark Airport — including a pat-down — and was cleared to get on board a commercial flight, sources told The Post yesterday.

The breach took place Feb. 25, when the Transportation Security Administration’s special operations team — the agency’s version of internal affairs — staged a mock intrusion at the airport.

“This episode once again demonstrates how Newark Airport is the Ground Zero of TSA failures,” a source said.

The “bomber” was part of the four-person “Red Team” that posed as ticketed passengers and filed through the B1 checkpoint of Terminal B — home of American Airlines, JetBlue and Delta, sources said.

With the inert “bomb” stashed somewhere in his pants, he got through the magnetometer undetected at around 11 a.m. He was then pulled aside for a physical screening, and a TSA agent failed to discover the IED and allowed the “bomber” to go to his gate.

“He did have a simulated IED in his pants,” the source said. “They did not find it.”

The exact makeup of the mock IED was not available, but even devices small enough to be stashed in a passenger’s pants could blow a hole through a plane’s fuselage.

TSA inspectors have previously used mock bombs modeled after devices used by 2009 “underwear bomber” Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab and 2001 “shoe bomber” Richard Reid.

Only one member of the TSA’s terror team was stopped at the checkpoint — a female agent “carrying a simulated IED inside her carry-on that was inside a child’s doll,” the source said.

It had “wires sticking out” and was obviously suspicious and she was pulled aside, sources say.

The Red Team also targeted Terminal C the same day, although results from that test were unclear.

The TSA said in a statement that it would not provide details of any of its undercover operations.

“TSA regularly conducts covert testing of security layers. Regardless of the tests’ outcome, TSA officers are provided with immediate on-the-spot feedback so they receive the maximum training value that the drills offer,” the statement said.

“Due to the security-sensitive nature of the tests, TSA does not publicly share details about how they are conducted, what specifically is tested or the outcomes.”

Newark Airport, which has 1,400 screeners and supervisors, has long struggled with security.

Last year, 52 baggage and traveler screeners were fired and another 19 disciplined for major security lapses and thefts.

Newark Airport was where a screener left a note saying, “Get your freak on, girl,” after finding a vibrator in the bag of a Manhattan attorney in 2011.

And it was where, in 2010, an airport “Romeo” was able to walk unticketed and unscreened into a secure area so he could kiss his girlfriend goodbye.

Despite the security woes, the TSA this week declared it would soon allow travelers to carry non-locking knives up to 2.36 inches in length and a half-inch width onto airplanes.

philip.messing@nypost.com

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
They are now allowing pocket knives on the planes as well.  But not yogurt.

http://news.yahoo.com/tsa-rules-knives-draw-fire-9-11-kin-191051767.html

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

Good news.

Yogurt is very, very dangerous.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
I'm making an effort to be a more optimistic person, so I'll simply assume they knew the bomb was fake.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

You can bring knives and bats ???

Why are they screening anyway then  ???

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
The TSA is quite possibly the MOST USELESS ENTITY EVER.... The way they have secured the cockpits means that the 9-11 scenario can no longer happen.

So let's just be honest and say that all the TSA does is sit around and suck away the tax payer dollar.

I'd eliminate that stupid agency immediately.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The TSA is quite possibly the MOST USELESS ENTITY EVER.... The way they have secured the cockpits means that the 9-11 scenario can no longer happen.

So let's just be honest and say that all the TSA does is sit around and suck away the tax payer dollar.

Another legacy of "W"

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

And steal anything they can from "random bag" searches.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
And instead of admitting how useless TSA is, they will now use this as reason to enforce stricter measures (or "security layers" as they like to say).

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
Is it rue that TSA has not caught a single terrorist?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Is it rue that TSA has not caught a single terrorist?

I think if they caught one, they would be parading him/her in front of the media as justification for gropings.

According to one border official in the clip below, they're catching 3 a day trying to enter the USA, ...but I find that hard to believe. Based on this recording... sounds like a power trip to me. Working in a pervert's paradise to paraphrase Wierd Al satire. In fact, someone should do a Youtube video along those lines.

w

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
I think if they caught one, they would be parading him/her in front of the media as justification for gropings.

According to one border official in the clip below, they're catching 3 a day trying to enter the USA, ...but I find that hard to believe. Based on this recording... sounds like a power trip to me. Working in a pervert's paradise to paraphrase Wierd Al satire. In fact, someone should do a Youtube video along those lines.

Fuck, you can tell those guys are "getting off" on it.  Truly disgusting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
10 of the Most Shocking & Revealing Secrets from an Alleged Former TSA Agent: ‘It’s All for Show’

Mar. 11, 2013

NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 28: Transportation Security Administration (TSA) workers walk through John F. Kennedy Airport on February 28, 2013 in New York City. Credit: Getty Images

The New York Post on Sunday published an op-ed from someone claiming to be a former TSA agent at Newark’s Liberty Airport, the same airport where agents failed to detect a fake bomb sent through during secret test last month. According to the op-ed, such a mistake isn’t really that surprising considering the culture at TSA.

Below, we’ve excerpted the 10 most shocking admissions the person makes.

10. I’ve had to screen small children and explain to their parents I had no choice but to “check” them. I would only place my hands on their arms and bottom half of their legs, and the entire “pat-down” lasted 10 seconds. This goes completely against TSA procedure.

9. Did you know you don’t need a high-school diploma or GED to work as a security screener? These are the same screeners that TSA chief John Pistole and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano refer to as a first-class first line of defense in the war on terror.

8. When there are internal tests, conducted by the Newark training department, it’s easy to cheat because they use our co-workers. You could be working with someone all morning, and then they’re gone. Word gets around the checkpoint. Someone will come over to you and say, “Hey, it’s Joe. He’s got a blue duffel bag.”

7. We always said it’s not a question of if terrorists get through — it’s a question of when. Our feeling is nothing’s happened because they haven’t wanted it to happen. We’re not any big deterrent. It’s all for show.

6. Most TSA screeners know their job is a complete joke. Their goal is to use this as a stepping stone to another government agency.

5. We work in a culture where common sense has no place. All but a very few TSA personnel know they’re employed by a bottom-of-the-barrel agency.

Our first question to anyone in a wheelchair is to ask if they’re able to stand for a pat-down. If someone is in a wheelchair, he likely can’t stand. Even when they’re sitting, we’re required to ask them to move so we can check under their buttocks.

4. Supervisors play absolutely no role in day-to-day functions except to tell you not to chew gum. Gum chewing is a huge issue with management.

3. Goofing off and half-hour-long bathroom breaks are the only way to break up the monotony. There is also a lot of ogling of female passengers by the male screeners. So, ladies, cover up when you get to the airport. These guys are checking you out constantly.

2. Screeners start at $15 per hour, and there is tons of overtime — mainly because they are filling in for the many screeners who don’t bother coming to work. For every 40 hours you work, you receive four hours of vacation and four hours of sick time.

1. One screener didn’t come to work for four weeks. When he finally reappeared, he asked for another week off. The answer was no. So what did this brainiac decide to do? He took another week off — and didn’t get terminated.

Feel safer?

Read plenty more admissions over at the Post.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Good news.

Yogurt is very, very dangerous.

And as I learned this weekend, so is water.  They took my bottle even though it was unopened.

Of course, right on the other side, I could buy another bottle for the low low price of $2.25

BTW...thanks for the advice Ozmo.  Things went much easier at the line this time.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
‘It’s All for Show’
yea, I think we already had that much figured out long ago.