Author Topic: how much protein powder is too much?  (Read 6476 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: how much protein powder is too much?
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
Here's my contribution to bro science. A lot of protein supplements are sweetened with artificial sweetener. I have heard from so many with empirical knowledge say they get the runs and a stomach ache when using many of them. If I use aspertame sweetener for example I can get by using a little. If I'm making 2 to 3 shakes I'm done.

Another thing is plenty of us are lactose intolerant. Some are super sensitive and some it takes a lot. If you have some sensitivity it might reveal itself after 2 or 3 shakes where one shake might not bother you.

Remember that supplements are a supplement. Don't use so much that it replaces food all the time. Whey isolate is more pure and cost more than whey concentrate. Sometimes protein containers mix the two to deceive you because you know the ratio is a little isolate and a whole lot of concentrate. I really don't believe for a second that whey isolate is completely lactose free unless they are using treated milk product and they are not. Remember supplements are not regulated and if they put lactose free on the label it doesn't mean that it's true or tested in real lab that can be trusted.

The price of all protein is crazy and over priced. I had luck with isopure stomach wise. Also egg protein that doesn't have an artificial sweetener that aggravates me. Looking at the price of protein you would be better off buying eggs at costco and making yourself some eggs in a pan. Cheaper and so mild to the stomach.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
clearly the conclusion of this thread is not to buy any fucking supplements

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
I've been drinking it quite a bit lately and its now giving me a killer stomach ache. I used to drink egg whites and never had this problem but that was on the expensive side.

Is protein powder even needed post workout if i just have a big meal?
more than 3 scoops a day makes my bunghole hurt  :(

with that said i get about 80-100 grams daily

sure i could do 200 grams of protien powder but my ass would hurt it could be i need to have protien shakes with fiber one cereal

protein does work i came down from 335 to 320 in a few days
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
Im sick of reading about assholes throwing up while they are training, theres no need for it at all.
I have thrown up once in 28 years of training and thats because of too much beer the night before.

Waiting for "you don't train hard enough", its just bollocks.

I threw up a few times. Part of that was on leg exercises, largely because I wasn't breathing properly and made myself dizzy. And, I wasn't nearly as strong as I am now.

clearly the conclusion of this thread is not to buy any fucking supplements

Says who? Again, smart patient shopping mitigates all these problems, except for your woe-is-me mentality.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »
Asshole you don't even lift weights
Did i hurt your feelings?  :D
follow the arrows

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
nono, there is indeed snakeoil selling going on.

in all the protein bars, the protein used is collagen stuff, which is useles for building muscle.

now for the how much powder is needed.well, none, just eat chicken or some meat instead.

There's no "instead" needed. Why not use both? I don't see why people make this a "food vs. supplements" thing.

Plus, it's safe to say that a good deal of our Getbig brethren don't have the discipline to do either, with regards to protein consumption.

They either won't prep their meals, so they can eat regular food on a timely basis. Or, they won't pack enough protein powder to gulp some shakes, if their classes and/or jobs don't allow for eating.

For me, it's simple: I eat my solid regular meals at home; and, except for lunch, I take my powders or RTDs (i.e. the GNC Lean Muscle Meal ones I just got for $0.90 each  ;D ) to work with me.

If I'm in a series of meetings, I can't break out the Tupperware and start gnawing on chicken. But, a quick RTD, while my colleagues are guzzling soda or coffee, works just fine.

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
Here's my contribution to bro science. A lot of protein supplements are sweetened with artificial sweetener. I have heard from so many with empirical knowledge say they get the runs and a stomach ache when using many of them. If I use aspertame sweetener for example I can get by using a little. If I'm making 2 to 3 shakes I'm done.

Another thing is plenty of us are lactose intolerant. Some are super sensitive and some it takes a lot. If you have some sensitivity it might reveal itself after 2 or 3 shakes where one shake might not bother you.

Remember that supplements are a supplement. Don't use so much that it replaces food all the time. Whey isolate is more pure and cost more than whey concentrate. Sometimes protein containers mix the two to deceive you because you know the ratio is a little isolate and a whole lot of concentrate. I really don't believe for a second that whey isolate is completely lactose free unless they are using treated milk product and they are not. Remember supplements are not regulated and if they put lactose free on the label it doesn't mean that it's true or tested in real lab that can be trusted.

The price of all protein is crazy and over priced. I had luck with isopure stomach wise. Also egg protein that doesn't have an artificial sweetener that aggravates me. Looking at the price of protein you would be better off buying eggs at costco and making yourself some eggs in a pan. Cheaper and so mild to the stomach.

Some of those low carb protein bars are brutal on your stomach. I never had bad experiences with powders, but in general, just grab real food.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »

Some of those low carb protein bars are brutal on your stomach. I never had bad experiences with powders, but in general, just grab real food.

It's the sugar alcohols in the low carb bars that tear up your stomach, if your system doesn't take to those. The ProMax bars don't have them.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

IsoPure is AWESOME, except for the fact that the zero-carb version dries out your throat (thanks to the sucralose, used to sweeten it).

But, unless you get it on clearance, you'll have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy some. I haven't used any in at least six months, and that was when I could get the individual bottles for about a dollar.

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
It's the sugar alcohols in the low carb bars that tear up your stomach, if your system doesn't take to those. The ProMax bars don't have them.

I knew the sugar alcohol thing, but some aren't as bad. Thinks for the tip on the ProMax bro.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »
Buy quality protein powder. This is why I stick to Optimum Nutrition Gold. Whenever I try a new protein powder I know it's total shit if my farts enter the chemical warfare level.
all drugs - TPPIIP

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
epic brownosing comment :-X

the vikings see poles as subhuman, i hope this helps

i'm not a pole dipshit

i'm an amercian in poland, and my ancestral roots are German, Austrian, and French 8)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
I knew the sugar alcohol thing, but some aren't as bad. Thinks for the tip on the ProMax bro.

I don't think the ProMax bars come in "low carb" form. There are the "Lower Sugar (LS)" versions, though.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 06:11:54 PM »
On my weak bodypart i also puke sometimes my legs are small for my size i am 198 cm tall.i throw up rest 5minutes and have my shake

Have you tried getting more potassium in your diet?  after brutal leg days I can barely drive home sometimes but I do not feel the urge to puke. Perhaps you are only puking because you drank too much water and not enough electrolytes  ;D

electrolytes LMAO :D

After idiocracy I can't take electrolytes seriously anymore.
all drugs - TPPIIP

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2013, 06:15:31 PM »
I only consume one shake per day, if that.  They should be used for convenience, real food is always better than something that isn't even regulated.

8)

hbk29

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
to galeinko..YOU are calling me a clown? he he, I have always thouht that you need some pritein about 3o minutes after traing? anyways you look very ripped and good gor youre age so it works for you. but i always ave one and then go gome and eat another meal around i hour later.

By the way norwegian just to look down on polish people, but not so muc know. They are very good workers and they are wery polite

Sotay

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
its alright.

it depends, when theres little time, protein shake isz ok.

but really,really, wehn on steroids, it dont matter when you get your protein,just get it throughout the day.on gear you can starve for 24 hrs and not loose any muscle.infact,many ppl should try this ;)

True that.

Protein shakes are useless, read the GH 15 bible.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2013, 07:07:06 AM »

Have you tried getting more potassium in your diet?  after brutal leg days I can barely drive home sometimes but I do not feel the urge to puke. Perhaps you are only puking because you drank too much water and not enough electrolytes  ;D

electrolytes LMAO :D

After idiocracy I can't take electrolytes seriously anymore.

they make MIO Sport now. It's water flavoring and it contains potassium.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Since meat doesn't come in chocolate or banana flavour, I'll keep using whey shakes occasionally.