Author Topic: After 2 weeks in Europe  (Read 3735 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
After 2 weeks in Europe
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
So after a 15 year hiatus, I returned to Europe. My first time around I went to Germany and France. This time I visited Spain and France.

A few observations:

(1) Paris is absolutely beautiful. Even the airport is a sight to behold. Whatever your opinions might be of the French, Paris is still at the top of the list in terms of places you should visit at least once. From what I experienced, Spain is an abject dump. The only redeeming aspect of my time in Spain was visiting numerous historical sites (Palaces, castles, cathedrals etc.). In all fairness, I didn’t go to Ibiza or Barcelona- which I have heard from several people are both very nice places to visit.  

(2) The women in France were pretty damn hot. A lot hotter than I anticipated. The women in Spain were gross-- which was a huge shock.

(3) Thank god I live in the United States.

Without turning this into a political debate, it is very obvious why the EU is an economic disaster.

In countries where part time waitresses get social security, healthcare and most people fortunate enough to have jobs work for the government and retire with pensions at age 50, it’s no wonder that unemployment is extremely high and everything is astronomically expensive.  Everything is overpriced; especially transportation, alcohol and food. Five Euro's to get on the train at the airport in Madrid and travel a few stops. Here in NYC we bitch about the MTA raising the price to a paltry $2.50. Taking a moldy, cramped, bus from Madrid to a neighboring town is 10 Euro's. A bottle of decent gin which would go for 15 bucks in the US ( it was the only brand in the entire store in Spain) was an unconscionable 22 Euros. Going out to dinner with family at a neighborhood Pizzeria outside of Paris was an astonishing 50 Euros for four people with no appetizers or booze.
You can also depend on shortages of all the basic utilities that we take for granted; Water, gas, electricity etc. I think its all bullshit, but expect to be reminded about the “crisis” constantly.

Finally, if you need to buy something in Spain don’t bank on finding anything that’s open roughly between the hours of 2:30-4:30pm for siesta. Evidently, everyone eats at home and takes a nap before returning to finish up the drudgery of a 6 hour work day. Customer service must be an American invention because nobody in Europe knows the answer to your question, cares about what you’re asking or feels like being bothered because there is no incentive to doing a good job. Nobody tips, the labor laws make it almost impossible to fire anyone and people have no ambition to make something more of themselves.

There are portions alongside the highway in France that stretch for miles where people live in makeshift shelters made out of cardboard boxes and garbage. I noticed a few small stretches of the same thing in Spain, but what I saw in France was nothing short of sickening. There are beggars everywhere—in front of atms, apartment buildings, grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions and on public transportation to name a few places. Living in NYC I am no stranger to witnessing bums ask for spare change—but such encounters happen almost exclusively on the subway.  

Biggest eye opener about Paris: To generate income for its massive welfare state, the French government has installed numerous cameras equipped with radar detectors (about 3000 of them actually) on the highway to monitor speeding. If you go above the speed limit, expect to receive a notice with a hefty fine in the mail.  Many people have already figured out a way to beat the system by using apps on their phone or by installing radar detectors in their cars to warn them about upcoming speeding traps. Also, pictures of rotting teeth on every pack of cigarettes to deter people from smoking.

Biggest eye openers about Spain: If you go to the grocery store, keep some extra money in your pocket to pay for plastic bags. To avoid paying, people bring book bags, duffle bags or just carry food out in their bare hands. If you go to McDonalds, don’t expect free napkins. Also, if you go to a restaurant and the waiter puts bread on your table, don’t assume it’s free. Every restaurant I went to in Spain with one exception charged extra for bread. Oh yeah, and condom vending machines all over the place.

Eye Opener about both places: Customs is a complete joke.  

Beyond the aforementioned, it should be emphasized that Americans are routinely lied to about Europe. Throughout my lifetime I have heard from various wizards of smart about how Europe is so cultured, educated and somehow more advanced than America. Another outrageously blatant lie I’ve heard over the years is about how “healthy” Europeans are.  

Here is reality: As a whole, Europeans have not evolved very much from medieval times. Personal hygiene is strictly optional, nobody covers their mouth when they sneeze or cough, there is no concept of personal space or common decency and virtually no one is friendly. The people are extremely rude and (what a shock) either only speak their own language or pretend to only speak their own language as it suits them. It comes as no shock that historical treasures such as Communism and the bubonic plague are directly traced back to Europe.

A family friend is a retired Spanish Military officer. I went to visit him while I was traveling from Madrid. He has a wife and four children. All of his children are 25+ (the oldest is 34) and still live at home. His daughters both finished college and are unmarried and unemployed. His sons were both “Public Relations” majors. One is unemployed and the other works part time as a Business teacher at a local college (lol that is not a typo).  The living situation was an eerie reminder of the current transformation American families are experiencing (only with two parents). Fundamentally transforming America into Spain?

In terms of being healthy, allow me to illuminate some unfortunate realities about Spain. The Spanish diet consists almost exclusively of fatty pork and bread. The only reason everyone isn’t 700 pounds is because people literally don’t have enough money to eat themselves into obesity. Every single person I came in contact with smoked like a chimney. I traveled through Madrid 100 miles southwest and back on three separate occasions. I saw a total of one gym and it was in Madrid itself.

I could continue for several more pages—but the bottom line is; don’t believe what people tell you. Go see the world for yourself. And God Bless America—Home of free napkins, plastic bags, big cars, big houses, 24 hour stores, tips, cheap booze and deodorant.

All of you American leftist turds who knock the United States and tout nonsense like nationalized healthcare and other failed European social experiments have no fucking clue what you are talking about and should kiss the ground you walk on.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: After 2 weeks in Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
So after a 15 year hiatus, I returned to Europe. My first time around I went to Germany and France. This time I visited Spain and France.

A few observations:

(1) Paris is absolutely beautiful. Even the airport is a sight to behold. Whatever your opinions might be of the French, Paris is still at the top of the list in terms of places you should visit at least once. From what I experienced, Spain is an abject dump. The only redeeming aspect of my time in Spain was visiting numerous historical sites (Palaces, castles, cathedrals etc.). In all fairness, I didn’t go to Ibiza or Barcelona- which I have heard from several people are both very nice places to visit.  

(2) The women in France were pretty damn hot. A lot hotter than I anticipated. The women in Spain were gross-- which was a huge shock.

Without turning this into a political debate, it is very obvious why the EU is an economic disaster.

In countries where part time waitresses get social security, healthcare and most people fortunate enough to have jobs work for the government and retire with pensions at age 50, it’s no wonder that unemployment is extremely high and everything is astronomically expensive.  Everything is overpriced; especially transportation, alcohol and food. Five Euro's to get on the train at the airport in Madrid and travel a few stops. Here in NYC we bitch about the MTA raising the price to a paltry $2.50. Taking a moldy, cramped, bus from Madrid to a neighboring town is 10 Euro's. A bottle of decent gin which would go for 15 bucks in the US ( it was the only brand in the entire store in Spain) was an unconscionable 22 Euros. Going out to dinner with family at a neighborhood Pizzeria outside of Paris was an astonishing 50 Euros for four people with no appetizers or booze.
You can also depend on shortages of all the basic utilities that we take for granted; Water, gas, electricity etc. I think its all bullshit, but expect to be reminded about the “crisis” constantly.

Finally, if you need to buy something in Spain don’t bank on finding anything that’s open roughly between the hours of 2:30-4:30pm for siesta. Evidently, everyone eats at home and takes a nap before returning to finish up the drudgery of a 6 hour work day. Customer service must be an American invention because nobody in Europe knows the answer to your question, cares about what you’re asking or feels like being bothered because there is no incentive to doing a good job. Nobody tips, the labor laws make it almost impossible to fire anyone and people have no ambition to make something more of themselves.

There are portions alongside the highway in France that stretch for miles where people live in makeshift shelters made out of cardboard boxes and garbage. I noticed a few small stretches of the same thing in Spain, but what I saw in France was nothing short of sickening. There are beggars everywhere—in front of atms, apartment buildings, grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions and on public transportation to name a few places. Living in NYC I am no stranger to witnessing bums ask for spare change—but such encounters happen almost exclusively on the subway.  

Biggest eye opener about Paris: To generate income for its massive welfare state, the French government has installed numerous cameras equipped with radar detectors (about 3000 of them actually) on the highway to monitor speeding. If you go above the speed limit, expect to receive a notice with a hefty fine in the mail.  Many people have already figured out a way to beat the system by using apps on their phone or by installing radar detectors in their cars to warn them about upcoming speeding traps. Also, pictures of rotting teeth on every pack of cigarettes to deter people from smoking.

Biggest eye openers about Spain: If you go to the grocery store, keep some extra money in your pocket to pay for plastic bags. To avoid paying, people bring book bags, duffle bags or just carry food out in their bare hands. If you go to McDonalds, don’t expect free napkins. Also, if you go to a restaurant and the waiter puts bread on your table, don’t assume it’s free. Every restaurant I went to in Spain with one exception charged extra for bread. Oh yeah, and condom vending machines all over the place.

Beyond the aforementioned, it should be emphasized that Americans are routinely lied to about Europe. Throughout my lifetime I have heard from various wizards of smart about how Europe is so cultured, educated and somehow more advanced than America. Another outrageously blatant lie I’ve heard over the years is about how “healthy” Europeans are.  

Here is reality: As a whole, Europeans have not evolved very much from medieval times. Personal hygiene is strictly optional, nobody covers their mouth when they sneeze or cough, there is no concept of personal space or common decency and virtually no one is friendly. The people are extremely rude and (what a shock) either only speak their own language or pretend to only speak their own language as it suits them. It comes as no shock that historical treasures such as Communism and the bubonic plague are directly traced back to Europe.

A family friend is a retired Spanish Military officer. I went to visit him while I was traveling from Madrid. He has a wife and four children. All of his children are 25+ (the oldest is 34) and still live at home. His daughters both finished college and are unmarried and unemployed. His sons were both “Public Relations” majors. One is unemployed and the other works part time as a Business teacher at a local college (lol that is not a typo).  The living situation was an eerie reminder of the current transformation American families are experiencing (only with two parents). Fundamentally transforming America into Spain?

In terms of being healthy, allow me to illuminate some unfortunate realities about Spain. The Spanish diet consists almost exclusively of fatty pork and bread. The only reason everyone isn’t 700 pounds is because people literally don’t have enough money to eat themselves into obesity. Every single person I came in contact with smoked like a chimney. I traveled through Madrid 100 miles southwest and back on three separate occasions. I saw a total of one gym and it was in Madrid itself.

I could continue for several more pages—but the bottom line is; don’t believe what people tell you. Go see the world for yourself. And God Bless America—Home of free napkins, plastic bags, big cars, big houses, 24 hour stores, tips, cheap booze and deodorant.

All of you American leftist turds who knock the United States and tout nonsense like nationalized healthcare and other failed European social experiments have no fucking clue what you are talking about and should kiss the ground you walk on.

I agree somewhat however i dont remember the ladies in Spain being ugly, not all of them there were some real beauties among them.

What did you think of Germany?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
Bare in mind, both countries are going through severe depression. I've heard that in Spain, the unemployment rate among young males is close to 50%. Did you find France has changed much since the last time you were there?

As for the cigarette packs with rotting teeth to discourage smoking, you should visit Canada.
We've got rotting teeth, diseased organs, cancerous lungs, hearts, tongues... really gross stuff.

Can't speak to the other provinces, but i know in Ontario, stores charge 5 cents per plastic bag. It's designed to discourage unnecessary environmental waste, ...and it works. Most people bring re-usable shopping bags when they do groceries, and many stores will actually give re-usable shopping bags when people make purchases.
w

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:57:52 AM »
Ibiza or Barcelona - the ONLY reason to ever go to Spain.  Ever.  Otherwise avoid.

And yes, Paris is very beautiful.  I have been about 15 times if my count is correct and never tire of it.  Actually most of France as a whole is very nice.  Had I booked your travels, I would have sent you to Italy instead of Spain.

If you decide to go back, please consider doing an Italian Med. cruise.  Fly into Rome for a couple of days pre boarding, go to the port (about 2 hours away) sail south down the coastline and around to Venice for another few days post cruise. The Italian coastline is absolutely breathtaking. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »

A few observations:

Every country has its ups and downs
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:17:06 AM »
Speaking of Paris and the cigs.... the worst thing about smokers (other than the cigs and their nasty ass teeth and breath) is the way they just light up and for some unknown reason go stand in the street to smoke.   >:(

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:57:42 AM »
Thanks for the write-up, though it seems to me very good evidence of the theory-ladenness of observation -- what theory (or theories) we have onboard at the moment an observation is made in large part determines our interpretation of what is observed.

Thus, your already having everything figured out about the evils of leftism (deep theoretical commitments which you seem preternaturally unable to critically evaluate -- were you raised into these beliefs as some are raised into religiosity?) in large part shaped your interpretation of the observations made over the course of the trip. How else could one generalize from a small cluster of very tourist-y experiences to sweeping judgments of an entire continent's socioeconomic arrangements, vast structures that not even the 'experts' understand in full, in addition to all of the people there?

The last observation I'll make is that you commit the same fallacies as those simpletons who declare Europe more enlightened than America (you and I can at least agree that that meme is rather silly): (i) you assume 'Europe' is even an entity at all, as if there are properties that all so-called European countries and people share (there aren't), and (ii) you assume along with the bozos you are opposing that there is some coherent notion of 'enlightenment' which may justifiably be ascribed to entire continents, societies, or communities -- something which isn't necessarily false, but which needs justifying.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »
Thanks for the write-up, though it seems to me very good evidence of the theory-ladenness of observation -- what theory (or theories) we have onboard at the moment an observation is made in large part determines our interpretation of what is observed.

Thus, your already having everything figured out about the evils of leftism (deep theoretical commitments which you seem preternaturally unable to critically evaluate -- were you raised into these beliefs as some are raised into religiosity?) in large part shaped your interpretation of the observations made over the course of the trip. How else could one generalize from a small cluster of very tourist-y experiences to sweeping judgments of an entire continent's socioeconomic arrangements, vast structures that not even the 'experts' understand in full, in addition to all of the people there?

The last observation I'll make is that you commit the same fallacies as those simpletons who declare Europe more enlightened than America (you and I can at least agree that that meme is rather silly): (i) you assume 'Europe' is even an entity at all, as if there are properties that all European countries and people share (there aren't), and (ii) you assume along with the bozos you are opposing that there is some coherent notion of 'enlightenment' which may justifiably be ascribed to entire continents, societies, or communities -- something which isn't necessarily false, but which needs justifying.

Great post.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »

Without turning this into a political debate

Not at all.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Great post.

You're barely literate so the odds of you understanding anything in that post are slim to none.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
My Aunt went to Italy for a trip recently, Rome mostly, and came home thanking heavens our anscetors came to the USA via Ellis Island back in the day. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »

A few observations:

Thanks for this...very good read and an eye-opener...of course you had to go and spoil it with your last sentence where (as usual) you blame leftists for the destruction of the world...but great job overall although it IS strictly your opinion

what I find most disturbing about your post is that you live in NY city where I reside

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »
To be honest with you, I went in with an open mind. I have relatives throughout Europe and they all carry on about how wonderful their way of life is. My political views and preference for facts and reality aside, I tried my best to remain objective. After 15 years I was more mature, experienced and observant than I was during my last visit. I confess that I used the term European with a broadbrush--which was not my overall intention. The point was that the relentlessly false generalizations oft repeated about Americans can be easily observed through the mannerisms and behavior tendencies of the worldly and allegedly dignified Europeans.  I don’t have an imaginary concept of enlightenment. I don’t subscribe it to anyone in particular. I am just one man reacting to things he was told over the course of his lifetime which have proven themselves to be completely false.

I also don't fancy myself an expert on economics. However, I am well versed in history, current events and politics-- none of which is even relevant when you are blindsided by the obvious. These "experts" who can't figure out the problem with Europe should either not be considered experts to begin with, or have a blatant agenda which directly correlates with their own personal gain. When you tax something, you get less of it-- The private sector. Since there is no public sector without private sector, as the pendulum swings from capitalism to socialism there becomes less and less incentive to enter the private sector. All the good jobs are in government. So as the 50 year old supervisor of workplace hearing safety decides to call it quits and retire on a full pension for life, the government has to somehow pick up the slack right? So what does it do? Raise more taxes, borrow money, print money or do all three.  So while the size of the private sector is already getting gobbled up by government  and  less private sector hiring is possible, the scant few remaining profitable members of the private sector are now being squeezed into dust. 75% top marginal in France for instance. And lets not forget that all of these things raise the cost of living exponentially. The golden rule of business is that the cost increases always end up being borne by the consumer. So when you are taxed, VAT taxed and regulated up the ass, all of those extra costs are going to be eaten by those purchasing goods/ services in the private sector. Hence, the governments own anti growth policies are effectively inflating the value of its currency and hurting its citizens by making everything more costly.

Also throw in what I can only describe as pure laziness ( 6 week paid  vacations and 2 hour daily naps) or a culture which places no emphasis on upward mobility + scores of radical Islamist immigrating into the EU zone as EU leaders bend over backward to hide from its roots and culture so it doesn't "offend" and what you have is a civilization that is broken beyond repair. European culture has turned into one of shame, laziness and weakness. And the blame rests entirely in the corrupt, incompetent government officials who are running the show.

And FYI when you throw together a large cluster of countries who share practically nothing in common with one another except geography and the fact that none have standing army's anymore and force them to use the same currency, eliminate their borders, and effectively emasculate their sovereignty; when one lone productive member state is forced to carry the dead weight of practically all the others-- all that does is destroy whatever pride the people in these countries still have left. The EU is a failed socialist experiment using several countries instead of just one. Why should Germans have to pick up the slack for a bunch of brain dead, corrupt Greek bureaucrats? Why should Spain give a shit about French poverty when 5 million + Spaniards are unemployed? Why is Ireland even in the EU? The whole notion is absurd.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Ibiza or Barcelona - the ONLY reason to ever go to Spain.  Ever.  Otherwise avoid.

And yes, Paris is very beautiful.  I have been about 15 times if my count is correct and never tire of it.  Actually most of France as a whole is very nice.  Had I booked your travels, I would have sent you to Italy instead of Spain.

If you decide to go back, please consider doing an Italian Med. cruise.  Fly into Rome for a couple of days pre boarding, go to the port (about 2 hours away) sail south down the coastline and around to Venice for another few days post cruise. The Italian coastline is absolutely breathtaking. 

One of these days I have to do that. Staying at the Venetian in Vegas just inst the same lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
Thanks for this...very good read and an eye-opener...of course you had to go and spoil it with your last sentence where (as usual) you blame leftists for the destruction of the world...but great job overall although it IS strictly your opinion

what I find most disturbing about your post is that you live in NY city where I reside

I will pay for you to move to Ghana or Somalia - deal? 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
Thanks for your post. I am pretty right wing, but didn't find my European trip as bad as you did, I just accepted it for what it is. Assimilate to the host population. I went in November/December of 2011 for my honeymoon to Italy and Germany for a week each.  I had a fucking blast. Go somewhere knowing you're going to spend a shitload of money. I don't think we spent under $200 a meal when we went out to dinner, but you just go in saying "fuck it, when will I be back again?" So live it up. I went to Rome, Florence, Venice, Verona, Munich and Berlin and only saw one fast food restaraunt. The waiters that I dealt with, legitimately cared Bout you. For instance, when we ate at a nice place in Venice, we sat down at 715 (we had 730 reservations, and the place was dead, they turned people away and I couldn't believe it. It eventually filled up with every seat taken, so I realize why they turned the couple away). The waiter plated and deboned our fish for us(try getting a $2.13 hr college kid to do that) talked to us, and after 3 hours there, never once tried to chase us off. We sat and enjoyed our food wherever we were, which is why it's so expensive, they expect you to stay. The folks in this place, Spektakle, in Munich(bartender and our waitress) actually let us stay past closing, and we talked about bands and all sorts of other stuff. It was genuinely awesome. Berlin, the people were a bit colder, but it was still cool.

I can see what you say about the socialism aspect of things, but you can't change their way of living, as its not your place to do so. Just enjoy it while you can, and see it for what it is, the actual birthplace of our culture/colony. And I disagree about the culture part, I actually felt smarter and a renaissance when I got back. I am going for 17 days this Christmas. We are doing Rome, Vienna, Munich and Paris with day trips planned to Salzburg, Nuremberg, and possibly London. I plan on packing a lot of money, and a great attitude(no homo) and have been taking German lessons as well. I'm stoked and can't wait to go back, and I'm sorry you had a bad time.  I'm actually planning on grabbing a beer with a getbigger while in Austria, so anyone else on my itinerary, feel free to hit me up, I'll buy you a beer.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »

This.

Madrid has some nice places and real shitholes, but Barcelona was by far the best.

I would also add visiting Palermo...really nice with lot's of history.

And German women are pretty hot as well, IMO.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
To be honest with you, I went in with an open mind. I have relatives throughout Europe and they all carry on about how wonderful their way of life is. My political views and preference for facts and reality aside, I tried my best to remain objective. After 15 years I was more mature, experienced and observant than I was during my last visit. I confess that I used the term European with a broadbrush--which was not my overall intention. The point was that the relentlessly false generalizations oft repeated about Americans can be easily observed through the mannerisms and behavior tendencies of the worldly and allegedly dignified Europeans.  I don’t have an imaginary concept of enlightenment. I don’t subscribe it to anyone in particular. I am just one man reacting to things he was told over the course of his lifetime which have proven themselves to be completely false.

I also don't fancy myself an expert on economics. However, I am well versed in history, current events and politics-- none of which is even relevant when you are blindsided by the obvious. These "experts" who can't figure out the problem with Europe should either not be considered experts to begin with, or have a blatant agenda which directly correlates with their own personal gain. When you tax something, you get less of it-- The private sector. Since there is no public sector without private sector, as the pendulum swings from capitalism to socialism there becomes less and less incentive to enter the private sector. All the good jobs are in government. So as the 50 year old supervisor of workplace hearing safety decides to call it quits and retire on a full pension for life, the government has to somehow pick up the slack right? So what does it do? Raise more taxes, borrow money, print money or do all three.  So while the size of the private sector is already getting gobbled up by government  and  less private sector hiring is possible, the scant few remaining profitable members of the private sector are now being squeezed into dust. 75% top marginal in France for instance. And lets not forget that all of these things raise the cost of living exponentially. The golden rule of business is that the cost increases always end up being borne by the consumer. So when you are taxed, VAT taxed and regulated up the ass, all of those extra costs are going to be eaten by those purchasing goods/ services in the private sector. Hence, the governments own anti growth policies are effectively inflating the value of its currency and hurting its citizens by making everything more costly.

Also throw in what I can only describe as pure laziness ( 6 week paid  vacations and 2 hour daily naps) or a culture which places no emphasis on upward mobility + scores of radical Islamist immigrating into the EU zone as EU leaders bend over backward to hide from its roots and culture so it doesn't "offend" and what you have is a civilization that is broken beyond repair. European culture has turned into one of shame, laziness and weakness. And the blame rests entirely in the corrupt, incompetent government officials who are running the show.

And FYI when you throw together a large cluster of countries who share practically nothing in common with one another except geography and the fact that none have standing army's anymore and force them to use the same currency, eliminate their borders, and effectively emasculate their sovereignty; when one lone productive member state is forced to carry the dead weight of practically all the others-- all that does is destroy whatever pride the people in these countries still have left. The EU is a failed socialist experiment using several countries instead of just one. Why should Germans have to pick up the slack for a bunch of brain dead, corrupt Greek bureaucrats? Why should Spain give a shit about French poverty when 5 million + Spaniards are unemployed? Why is Ireland even in the EU? The whole notion is absurd.

I agree with you concerning their economy vis-a-vis ours...I can see how Europe's economies are less dynamic and how there is a lot of waste.....

but just strictly consider the human aspect...I've always wondered if we Americans are missing out on some of the things the Europeans take for granted..namely that you often get 6 weeks vacation from your job, that you do work somewhat less and therefore have more time to enjoy life and spend more time with friends and family

do you think it might be a little worth it to pay higher taxes as a nation so we could have a similar type of lifestyle?....We Americans seem to always be stressed out and in a hurry to accomplish nothing in particular..I would love to have 6 weeks vacation..LOL..whats your take on this?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
I agree with you concerning their economy vis-a-vis ours...I can see how Europe's economies are less dynamic and how there is a lot of waste.....

but just strictly consider the human aspect...I've always wondered if we Americans are missing out on some of the things the Europeans take for granted..namely that you often get 6 weeks vacation from your job, that you do work somewhat less and therefore have more time to enjoy life and spend more time with friends and family

do you think it might be a little worth it to pay higher taxes as a nation so we could have a similar type of lifestyle?....We Americans seem to always be stressed out and in a hurry to accomplish nothing in particular..I would love to have 6 weeks vacation..LOL..whats your take on this?

vacation?  you dont fucking work 3 weeks of the year now!  And you want time off! 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »

I agree with you on that. We as Americans work ourselves to death. I talked to quite a few people, and a couple on our train from Verona to Munich, and they were talking about being on six week holiday(the were Australians) and I asked how do you get away for six weeks? She told me that she had trained a chick for the last year to do her job while she was gone. I told her in America, she would've just trained her replacement.

I'm with you Andre, I would pay a bit more to get a lot more. Everybody should travel, and see how the rest of the world lives. I work for myself and have been doing one week of vacation a year(other than my honeymoon) and his year I said fuck it. I have a competent person who can handle what goes on in our downtime, we close Xmas through New Years, and I'm going on a long vacation. I've told myself I'm taking a minimum of 4 weeks a year from here on out.

Also, most people rent over there, so they don't have a crushing mortgage that keeps them house poor.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »
Andre unemployed?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
Speaking of Paris and the cigs.... the worst thing about smokers (other than the cigs and their nasty ass teeth and breath) is the way they just light up and for some unknown reason go stand in the street to smoke.   >:(

Agreed.  I'm also disgusted with the "Vape" smokers who think he's okay to spit their 2nd hand lung-water everywhere they go.  Yes, it's not smoke.  No, it doesn't mean you can do it in vars and grocery stores.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
vacation?  you dont fucking work 3 weeks of the year now!  And you want time off! 

so says the stay-at-home-shut-in :)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:23 PM »
I agree with you on that. We as Americans work ourselves to death. I talked to quite a few people, and a couple on our train from Verona to Munich, and they were talking about being on six week holiday(the were Australians) and I asked how do you get away for six weeks? She told me that she had trained a chick for the last year to do her job while she was gone. I told her in America, she would've just trained her replacement.

I'm with you Andre, I would pay a bit more to get a lot more. Everybody should travel, and see how the rest of the world lives. I work for myself and have been doing one week of vacation a year(other than my honeymoon) and his year I said fuck it. I have a competent person who can handle what goes on in our downtime, we close Xmas through New Years, and I'm going on a long vacation. I've told myself I'm taking a minimum of 4 weeks a year from here on out.

Also, most people rent over there, so they don't have a crushing mortgage that keeps them house poor.

Good post..... I do believe our political system and social system is far superoir to the Europeans but I have always had this feeling that we Americans have been brainwashed into thinking that we should work so hard and settle for one weeks vacation every year (two if youre lucky)....my family is from the caribbean and they too take two hour breaks every day from 12pm to 2pm for siesta.....I was shocked at this when I visited....I'm just saying that we as Americans seem to be working MUCH HARDER than the rest of the world for not that much more benefit....I wish I could spend more time with family, have more time for myself and my hobbies and be able to get together and meet with friends everyday....maybe this in and of itself would improve our quality of life?..plus you make a good point about being able to travel more...that would be awesome....

Also to pay a little more so we could all retire at 50? Count me in!