Author Topic: After 2 weeks in Europe  (Read 3654 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: After 2 weeks in Europe
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 06:17:31 AM »
Due to many of the nice(r) places in EU being located where they have cold weather at times of the year, I couldn't imagine purchasing property there.  There is really no "investment" property there.  To do so would require one to enlist a managing agency to rent the place out during the year.  When is it most likely to be rented?  The nice and warm months.  When are you most likely to visit?  The nice and warm months.  See what I mean?  However, buying a little pied-a-terre in Paris would be the best bet if you are single and want an escape place for the summers.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
Europe is probably more of a pipe dream at this point, but still on my list of goals.

I'd say it is liable to remain a pipe dream, and rightfully so: the laws are complex (EU rules are layered on top of country-specific statutes), acquiring finance is difficult, the value of the property you buy will to be tethered to the outcome of the Eurozone crisis, and once management fees and local taxes are factored in, it isn't clear how much profit potential even exists anyway -- except perhaps in the distressed peripheral countries, though they may simply keep falling rather than recover in full.

I will soon own a rental property there, but merely due to an Act of Zeus (God is overrated) creating a convergence of factors such that it was worth it rather than proper overseas investment acumen. It just doesn't seem a worthwhile proposition for most pure outsiders.

Interestingly, Central and South America supposedly contain great opportunities for real estate investment, though I don't know about you, but I have approximately zero interest in spending any time in these regions.

2. It may have been better for me to use "learned" after visiting. The amount of knowledge you gain and sights you see ( I did private walking tours) and the subsequent reading on these subjects after visiting gave me a feeling of being more educated. So no, it didn't help me solve any math problems, but I definately gained a wealth of knowledge by going, and as you said, "cultured".

Yes, that sounds more reasonable.

Have you ever been, or do you live there now?

I lived in the Mediterranean for over a year and have traveled to the majority of the prototypical tourist destinations on the continent, albeit for a short period of time per location (breadth rather than depth).

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
Personally, I love to travel both across the U.S. and to Europe. I cannot remember ever having a bad experience while abroad. My son lives in a small village in Bavaria, which is extremely bucolic and welcoming. His wife has a lot of family there. When my wife and I visit we are always treated exceptionally well and with warmth and respect. Perhaps this sets a tone for our European travels.

My aunt lives in rural France. The hard part about visiting her is leaving when it is time to travel on. She lives in a 300 year old plus family country home with eleven bedrooms and situated on forty acres. It is considered the castle of the village. There is nothing quite like the French countryside.

All of the above being said, after a month or so of traveling, it is always great to be home again. I guess there is no place like home.