Author Topic: Early Leg press  (Read 5390 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Early Leg press
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:23 AM »
 Jack lalanne showed what to do when you donīt have a leg press...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Early Leg press
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »
NICE!!! 

Remember seeing pictures of some of the pioneers in lifting using a wedge under their backs for that exercise.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
Jack lalanne showed what to do when you donīt have a leg press...

donny that's just scary, looks like an accident waiting to happen. he should spring a few bucks and buy a machine.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
 ;)
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
donny that's just scary, looks like an accident waiting to happen. he should spring a few bucks and buy a machine.
yeah i agree funky crazy or What ...LOL

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Asking the man here, Fink51 being the man:

If I remember right, didn't some of the really old BB training courses have that style leg press, with a BB on the feet. Like Sig Klein, the original York courses, Paramount BB, etc.  Seen it before and more than once. Even want to say George Hackenschmidt doing it. Just can't place where I saw it.

I worker with a very old leg press machine, actually a very good old leg press machine. Had a wooden platform for the plates on top and the feet on the bottom of it.  And side supports that you turned with the hands, to allow the leg press to go deep down. Had a wedge for the small of the back. Also could do overhead presses on it.  Nice functional machine.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »

If I remember right, didn't some of the really old BB training courses have that style leg press, with a BB on the feet. Like Sig Klein, the original York courses, Paramount BB, etc.  Seen it before and more than once. Even want to say George Hackenschmidt doing it. Just can't place where I saw it.

I worker with a very old leg press machine, actually a very good old leg press machine. Had a wooden platform for the plates on top and the feet on the bottom of it.  And side supports that you turned with the hands, to allow the leg press to go deep down. Had a wedge for the small of the back. Also could do overhead presses on it.  Nice functional machine.

I will be quite astonished if Funk does not at least have in his possession a photograph of said apparatus. Funk has been around for a while; he actually helped design the first kettle bell!

Sorry, Funkster. Since Wes has left us, I've had to find a new victim for my "old-guy" jokes! ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »

I will be quite astonished if Funk does not at least have in his possession a photograph of said apparatus. Funk has been around for a while; he actually helped design the first kettle bell!

Sorry, Funkster. Since Wes has left us, I've had to find a new victim for my "old-guy" jokes! ;D
>:( what happened to wes???????????????. my nephew actually had such a leg press machine. remember years ago bill grant getting whacked in the face when some plates flew off the top.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »

look at exercise number 8
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
 ;)
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
Thanks Funk51

Yeah, that old leg press could only hold so many plates on the top loading platform. Usually two 25lb exercise plates (1 1/16- 1 1/8 holes) side by side , to start the pile. So guy's were stacking them up any way they could for more weight. Did take a gambler when too high. So most did one leg at a time exercises, when the weight was not enough. Guy's also did calf raises on it.

A friend of my uncles bought it from a gym that went out of business, around Hollywood, years ago. He used it in his garage gym. Really was easy equipment to use.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
>:( what happened to wes???????????????.

LOL!!
Wes left here to post on another forum that is not a favored nation here.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:37 AM »
Shame really as he seemed like a good guy.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »

LOL!!
Wes left here to post on another forum that is not a favored nation here.
rawiron, ironage????t-nation there's a ton of them but only one getbig.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
 :P
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
Funk51...leg press machine:

Yeah..something like that...but a little wider and it had room for two 25lbs plates, lying side by side, if memory serves me right.  Stacked the plates up as high as possible on the two mental rods facing up. Probably more for a commercial gym, because it was a little more heavy duty. I was around 16 or 17 at the time. Thanks again.
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
That's Wilbur Miller in the pic, not Jack L..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
That's Wilbur Miller in the pic, not Jack L..
good call dave i didn't think it looked like jack lalanne but i never would have come up with that name... :o :o :o :o :o
F