Author Topic: Phil Hill  (Read 13781 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Phil Hill
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »
In the Battle for the O's i saw, Shawn Ray was one who was training almost the heaviest
and he was fast paced, as well.
hill reminds me of a later day lawrence samuels he was huge for the times and most times actually.
When I looked at the pics, I was thinking "where did Phil's low calves go?", but then I realized it wasn't Phil.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
What I find interesting is that people train today with these outrageous weights thanks to Ronnie changing that :-X

Yet guys like Phil Hill, Haney, Ray and other trained with what would be considered today "pussy weights" yet have some of the best physiques ever.

Well, in fairness to Shawn, he did some pretty fucking heavy training himself.  I actually think he was a bit underrated in the strength department ... he was moving weights at 220ish that a good many decently strong guys 40-60 lbs. heavier would struggle with.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
Well, in fairness to Shawn, he did some pretty fucking heavy training himself.  I actually think he was a bit underrated in the strength department ... he was moving weights at 220ish that a good many decently strong guys 40-60 lbs. heavier would struggle with.
150-180 pound dumbbells at 210-220 pounds.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »
Ah, shit.  The Grim Lifter and you beat me to it, Parker :D

Yeah, Shawn was strong.  And he did move through a workout at a fairly rapid pace.  I remember reading how Cormier couldn't keep pace with Shawn, which Ray said was the reason Chris didn't have striated glutes and all that.

That's complete bullshit, of course -- and I don't blame Cormier for taking his time between sets; if I don't, I go from respectably strong to a complete dork in short order -- but none of that has to do with Phil, so ...

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
phil was/is a jersey boy, he was my old training partners cousin, my partner lived in trenton. talked to phil once or twice on phone n he always told me to eat alot of beef to get big, was pretty cool dude. that was twenty years ago or so though when i last talked to him
R

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
150-180 pound dumbbells at 210-220 pounds.

There ya go.

I'm about Shawn's height and I know I'll never touch 180's for reps weighing under 220.  Maybe 150's but I'm a machine pussy guy; it'd take me awhile to acclimate to 'bells again :D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
There ya go.

I'm about Shawn's height and I know I'll never touch 180's for reps weighing under 220.  Maybe 150's but I'm a machine pussy guy; it'd take me awhile to acclimate to 'bells again :D
he said on Final Countdown that he wondered why guys like Fux, Dillett, and Nasser play around with 100 pound dumbbells and he is reppin with 150's. And during contest mode, 150's feel like 180s, and then he proceeds to incline press 150s.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »
i heard stories that ray trained really hard n pretty heavy also, i remember some pros from my gym went out there n trained with shawn n said hes an animal when it comes to training
R

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
 I saw Phil train a couple of times.. He did a lot of super sets and giant sets.. Now some may think he trained " light" but the weight was respectable for what he was doing...  As for gear all I can say is he used quite a bit from what his "friends " stated.. Truly he only real difference between the late 80 s  and now is hgh and slin.. The anabolic s were stil very high..

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
I saw Phil train a couple of times.. He did a lot of super sets and giant sets.. Now some may think he trained " light" but the weight was respectable for what he was doing...  As for gear all I can say is he used quite a bit from what his "friends " stated.. Truly he only real difference between the late 80 s  and now is hgh and slin.. The anabolic s were stil very high..

Any ideas as far as numbers, LATS ? Just curious. And thank you. :)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:52 PM »

Any ideas as far as numbers, LATS ? Just curious. And thank you. :)

X2

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »

In the 80's you had to have superior genetics, with today's drugs the Dan Hill's of the world can go places.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
and he was fast paced, as well.When I looked at the pics, I was thinking "where did Phil's low calves go?", but then I realized it wasn't Phil.
samuels trained light and died young. but he had some mass.
F