Author Topic: Just Switched to Low Bar ATG Squats from ATG Olympic-50 lb increase 1st time.  (Read 5147 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
So today I decided to squat using Low Bar form instead of Olympic, I can`t believe how much easier it was. I never did anything but Olympic style ATG.  With just a few inches of lowering the bar, the whole thing changes and feels so much easier and less tiring.

I don`t know if that is a good thing or bad thing.  :-\

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
Picture or it never happened.
#

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Picture or it never happened.
Ok fat stacks, how about you entering the next Mr. Getbig.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Where exactly do you place the bar when you do this Adonis?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Where exactly do you place the bar when you do this Adonis?
Rear Delts with tightly contracted shoulder blades, below traps.  It really makes all weight feel really, really light with no pressure on your torso and allows you to really use your lungs better.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
So today I decided to squat using Low Bar form instead of Olympic, I can`t believe how much easier it was. I never did anything but Olympic style ATG.  With just a few inches of lowering the bar, the whole thing changes and feels so much easier and less tiring.

I don`t know if that is a good thing or bad thing.  :-\

the lower down the back the more powerlift the movement becomes, certainly you will carry more weight but the total drop of the bar will be less

will help you build buttocks
c

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
the lower down the back the more powerlift the movement becomes, certainly you will carry more weight but the total drop of the bar will be less

will help you build buttocks
This could translate to a better overall Olympic Squat in time yes?

prizm

• Getbig III

ya they build each other, but olympics tend to build low bar more so than vice versa

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all

Im not sure, youd best check in the powerlifting forum?
I used to do alot of 20 rep deep squatting witha high bodyweight to bar weight ratio several years ago. Certainly was able to up the weight considerably and less stress on the knee but as the bar is lower down the back I never took every rep  to a full upright stand (because the bar might roll off) and therefore never locked out the knees. Great for building glut and overall buttock strength (think beyond the snigger) but not explosive power.  
c

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
ya they build each other, but olympics tend to build low bar more so than vice versa
Makes sense why the low bar was so much easier for me. Nothing wrong with doing both I assume.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Rear Delts with tightly contracted shoulder blades, below traps.  It really makes all weight feel really, really light with no pressure on your torso and allows you to really use your lungs better.

i think i fear too much on squats and end up leaning to foward like lay norton then fucking up my back for a few weeks is no fun i may have to try this but i hate to lean foward
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
i think its that guy Raezedea or something that used a shitload of weight on squats but his back didnt even bend it was straight up and down

i think hhis form proves that using your lower back is pointless and worthless in the squat all it does is lead to injurty. keep the back straight as fuck
A

Mawse

• Getbig IV

nope.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
someone here needs to invent a belt where the weight can rest at the mid point of the back just above the lower back but well below the traps that would be optimal for avoiding lower back injury
A

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
You changed to a more optimal centre of gravity.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
i think its that guy Raezedea or something that used a shitload of weight on squats but his back didnt even bend it was straight up and down

i think hhis form proves that using your lower back is pointless and worthless in the squat all it does is lead to injurty. keep the back straight as fuck
I agree. Keep upright as possible with just a slight lean if you have to.  I noticed with the low bar squats less lean is there as the center of gravity for me is much better.  I am betting the same would happen for you.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
I will try this strategy on my next "leg day".

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
someone here needs to invent a belt where the weight can rest at the mid point of the back just above the lower back but well below the traps that would be optimal for avoiding lower back injury
That's what  front squats are for.

And if you want to be smarmy about it, do Zercher squats instead.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
I agree. Keep upright as possible with just a slight lean if you have to.  I noticed with the low bar squats less lean is there as the center of gravity for me is much better.  I am betting the same would happen for you.

someone needs to post that Reazeduah (or its that other guy not sure of the name) video of him olympic squatting its perfect form he doesnt even bend his back at all its crazy to watch

at the end of the video he squats alot of weight and just lets the barbell roll of and hit the floor when he completes the lift
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
That's what  front squats are for.

And if you want to be smarmy about it, do Zercher squats instead.
I like using the the cross arm for front squats.  I have tried the other way, olympic style and it just kills my wrists and arms and feel like I am really working to keep the bar up with my upper body.  I even tried the strap trick and the same thing.  I can do them fine though with the cross arm/California style.  Why is it the opposite for most people?  Most have trouble doing cross arm.  I think it has to do with my tiny wrists and long arms/large hands.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I also prefer cross arm way just let it rest on my delt/clavicle.

I also found I got quite strong on these quite quickly!

MB

• Getbig IV
I like using the the cross arm for front squats.  I have tried the other way, olympic style and it just kills my wrists and arms and feel like I am really working to keep the bar up with my upper body.  I even tried the strap trick and the same thing.  I can do them fine though with the cross arm/California style.  Why is it the opposite for most people?  Most have trouble doing cross arm.  I think it has to do with my tiny wrists and long arms/large hands.
I switched from cross arm to Olympic style after many years.  It was awkward at first, but if you find a hand spacing that keeps your wrists relaxed, then the bar will sit on your clavicles similar to the cross arm style. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task

Actually its a flexibility thing.  I have improved the flexibility of my wrists and shoulders over the last few months with all the cleans I have to do.  Check this out for a sample of how you might work towards a better stretch

Also, you do NOT want the bar on clavicles.  Setting the bar on the front delts is SO much easier.  That front rack position (done right) will feel second nature after a while.