Author Topic: US/Intercontinental Titles  (Read 1911 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
US/Intercontinental Titles
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
How badly is WWE dropping the ball with these belts? I know it has been discussed but back in the day this was the working man's champion.

Now it is a joke with both Wade and Casaero losing every other match. Here's an idea. Have both Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow go after these titles, they stay a faction but eventually their egos get the best of each other and wind up wrestling each other.....Thoughts?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: US/Intercontinental Titles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »
How badly is WWE dropping the ball with these belts? I know it has been discussed but back in the day this was the working man's champion.

Now it is a joke with both Wade and Casaero losing every other match. Here's an idea. Have both Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow go after these titles, they stay a faction but eventually their egos get the best of each other and wind up wrestling each other.....Thoughts?

Rhodes has been IC champion twice. I don't see the point of him getting another run. He should pursue the World title.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Rhodes has been IC champion twice. I don't see the point of him getting another run. He should pursue the World title.

Not at that level yet but he was a very believable IC CHamp and brought some prestige to the belts.....

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
Not at that level yet but he was a very believable IC CHamp and brought some prestige to the belts.....

"prestige"  ::)

K

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »
"prestige"  ::)

Honky was supposed to be a "transitional" champion. The move was also meant as a slap in the face to Steamboat as part of his "punishment" after WMIII. However, HTM got over as a heel and ended up keeping the belt for a decent spell. But, he was the first in a line of cheesy champs that would grow to include UW, The Mountie, Piper, etc.

I suspect the old man had high hopes for former NWA champion Kerry Von Erich, but Kerry never caught on. Hennig did the belt and "position" justice and restored a lot of its lost prestige, as did Bret and Shawn.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
Why was Steamboat being punished?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
Why was Steamboat being punished?

vinnie had big plans for him but steamboat "selfishly" wanted to spend time with his pregnant wife

K

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »
vinnie had big plans for him but steamboat "selfishly" wanted to spend time with his pregnant wife

Exactly. The plans were to keep the strap on Steamers for at least a year, but the old man was thoroughly pissed when Ricky asked for a reduced schedule right after Mania. Remember that this was when Vince's champions worked the most shows.

Vince eventually granted Steamboat the requested time, but made him drop the belt first. Jobbing to Honky Tonk was an insult to someone like Ricky; especially after his incredible Mania performance. The office really dicked Steamboat around after that, as seen in his WMIV spot and the dragon costume gimmick a short time later.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

Exactly. The plans were to keep the strap on Steamers for at least a year, but the old man was thoroughly pissed when Ricky asked for a reduced schedule right after Mania. Remember that this was when Vince's champions worked the most shows.

Vince eventually granted Steamboat the requested time, but made him drop the belt first. Jobbing to Honky Tonk was an insult to someone like Ricky; especially after his incredible Mania performance. The office really dicked Steamboat around after that, as seen in his WMIV spot and the dragon costume gimmick a short time later.

steamboat was really lucky that he got to job in a dusty-style finish (the old classic both guys' shoulders on the mat but the one guy gets his up just before "3" ... brutus beefcake beat greg valentine that way once) and not "squashed"   
K