Author Topic: CVS tells employees to reveal personal health info or pay up  (Read 646 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
CVS tells employees to reveal personal health info or pay up
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
ObamaCare weighs in: CVS tells employees to reveal personal health info -- or pay up
Published March 21, 2013

FoxNews.com

Looks like ObamaCare may be rearing its head. In the wake of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, CVS is telling its employees they need to reveal their height, weight, body fat percent and other personal information for health insurance purposes.

The Rhode Island-based company, which employs around 200,000 individuals, is telling workers who use its health insurance they need to have a wellness review done -- or pay up.

CVS says it will pay for the health reviews and the information will go to a third party administrator of CVS's benefits, not CVS itself.  According to the company, CVS bosses will not be able to access their employees' health records.

The idea is to incentivize healthy living. CVS says the idea is nothing new.

"The idea of an employee wellness plan is perfectly legal under the ADA. Courts held up these plans," said Joshua Kersey, a Tampa labor attorney. He says with "Obamacare" looming in 2014, practices like this wellness review are likely to become more common, because a lot of employers are expecting to pay more for their workers' health insurance.

"The more money it's going to save the employer, the more incentive the employer has to affect these types of programs," he said.

In CVS's case, workers not comfortable getting the review done will have to pay a $600 annual penalty.

"It is voluntary because you're welcome to get healthcare through someone else," he said.

In a statement, CVS says it's implemented the program to try and keep employees as healthy as possible, and help them manage their costs.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/03/21/cvs-seeks-to-collect-employees-health-information/#ixzz2OCO8lIPv

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: CVS tells employees to reveal personal health info or pay up
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
i dont have a problem with that... I think EVERY company should be able to fire people who grow obese.  They are slower, less efficient, and a drain on company resources. 

I'm sure if you looked for studies - efficiciency of workers who exercise vs those who drink a 2 liter of coke while smoking a pack of marlboros...

Too many people GET fat because they're guaranteed their job.  You can't get fat and work at hooters.  you can't get fat and stay in the NFL.   You can't get fat and expect to be in a local play.  It takes a lot of purposeful slacking to become obese.  If a private company wishes to motivate employees to stay lean, i'm okay with that.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
i dont have a problem with that... I think EVERY company should be able to fire people who grow obese.  They are slower, less efficient, and a drain on company resources.  

I'm sure if you looked for studies - efficiciency of workers who exercise vs those who drink a 2 liter of coke while smoking a pack of marlboros...

Too many people GET fat because they're guaranteed their job.  You can't get fat and work at hooters.  you can't get fat and stay in the NFL.   You can't get fat and expect to be in a local play.  It takes a lot of purposeful slacking to become obese.  If a private company wishes to motivate employees to stay lean, i'm okay with that.

"Rob, we called you into the office today to let you know these McGriddles wrappers we have noticed around your desk have begun to concern us" :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
"Rob, we called you into the office today to let you know these McGriddles wrappers we have noticed around your desk have begun to concern us" :)

hey hey hey, boss.... look, I still have visible ab outlines... I'm 4% by getbig standards. 

imagine telling the boss you were drinking vodka to hide your mcdonalds habit.