Author Topic: RIP Nasser El Sonbaty  (Read 293537 times)

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: RIP Nasser El Sonbaty
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »
Joe weider was  a high level mason, i dont think nasser was, joe is burning in hell, arnold will join him too when he passes.

Grim Reaper might be after you soon bro..
O

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
Joe weider was  a high level mason, i dont think nasser was, joe is burning in hell, arnold will join him too when he passes.

I'm a mason.  I got the memo on you.
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
I still can't believe he is dead. Nobody deserves to die that young. This should really send a message to other retired pros. Maybe all of the damage was done while he competed? Remember guys, Arnold had open heart surgery.  He also has 100's of millions of dollars. He would probably be dead with the rest of them.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
I didn't think he'd be the first top-tier name of that generation to pass. Certainly wouldn't have thought Flex would outlive him.

O

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #779 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
give it some time, isnt flex younger than him?

Just Wiki'ed it. Both 47.  Flex a few months older.
O

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
I didn't think he'd be the first top-tier name of that generation to pass. Certainly wouldn't have thought Flex would outlive him.

Flex had said when he was competing that he would quit working out when he retired. Shawn gave him Hell for saying that, and look who is the one that consistently has stayed in shape since he has been retired (except for a few promo pics), It's been Flex.
Flex has too much to live for, wife, kids, and shiny rims.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #781 on: March 24, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »
I still can't believe he is dead. Nobody deserves to die that young. This should really send a message to other retired pros. Maybe all of the damage was done while he competed? Remember guys, Arnold had open heart surgery.  He also has 100's of millions of dollars. He would probably be dead with the rest of them.

I always have a problem with the word deserves. Some people die young and some live to be 100 or more these days. Let me suggest that the only way someone deserves to die is when they commit suicide. I am not making any judgements here about the moral aspects of suicide, but at least these folks achieved their sometimes momentary wish, which was to die.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #782 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
Joe weider was  a high level mason, i dont think nasser was, joe is burning in hell, arnold will join him too when he passes.

Based on recent pics, I think it's fair to say you've been neglecting your swoliatic compression device regime. This thread ought to be the biggest wake-up call ever to get your act together -- swoliosis is a chronic and potentially fatal condition if left untreated.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #783 on: March 24, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »
^^
He also had a LOT of surgeries related to his shoulders and unrelated (fat deposits under his armpits and birth marks removed), he also had complications which required him to go for drainage for a month.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
I thought you weren't going to post in this thread again.  And grow up please, This will send a warning to no-one - Did Andreas Munzer, Momo Benaziza, Sonny Schmidt, Luke Wood, Paul Demayo, Don Youngblood, Scott Klein and the many others who died prematurely change the body-building landscape.  Of Course Not!
V

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »
Based on recent pics, I think it's fair to say you've been neglecting your swoliatic compression device regime. This thread ought to be the biggest wake-up call ever to get your act together -- swoliosis is a chronic and potentially fatal condition if left untreated.

hahahaha!!!!!

cswol doesn't take criticism very well...  ;D

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
very sad news

Nasser is an all time great

RIP Nasser

sancho ed

• Getbig III
« Reply #787 on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:40 AM »
my lil tribute to the great nasser....still feel he had the best double bis and abs in thighs pose. here he is kicking everyones ass, even ronnies (:
may he rip

Natural Beast

• Getbig III
« Reply #788 on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »

you are right about joe weider being a mason.. you also might be right about arnold too... i mean if flex wheeler is a freemason i dont see a reason why arnold wouldnt be a mason

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #789 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:05 AM »
All my teen years heroes are falling like leafs :'(...

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #790 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
Hard to believe.
In peace he may rest.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #791 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »

If Nasser had been a Freemason, he would have won Mr. Olympia instead of being the three-time (at least) uncrowned Mr. Olympia.
K

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #792 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
Milos just breathed a sigh of relief.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #793 on: March 25, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
If Nasser had been a Freemason, he would have won Mr. Olympia instead of being the three-time (at least) uncrowned Mr. Olympia.

^^
Probably true, for sure he would have placed higher...

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #794 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
By Peter McGough

Nasser El Sonbaty, who passed away March 20, aged 47, was a bodybuilding one-off: A maverick who trod an individual path through his chosen sport.

Born in Stuttgart, Germany, Nasser’s father was Egyptian and his mother was from Yugoslavia (now Serbia). Throughout his contest career he insisted that he be billed as representing Yugoslavia.

SLOW ASCENT

Most guys who crack the Olympia top six on five occasions, as Nasser did, rise pretty fast through the pro ranks. Nasser didn’t.  His pro career started inauspiciously in 1990, and the first occasion I saw him was at the 1991 Night of Champions where he finished out of the top 14. The winner was Dorian Yates and on that day if someone had said the Yugoslavian behemoth would eventually threaten Yates’ Olympia reign, they would have been told, “Yeah, and one day Arnold Schwarzenegger will be Governor of California.” 

Two third places in 1993 at the French and German Grand Prixs signaled that the 270 pounder was on the move, and 1994 was a breakthrough year when he finished second to Mike Francois at the Night of Champions and seventh in his first Olympia. By now he had moved to San Diego and I got to know him quite well as he came into the Weider offices in LA regularly. I found him to be a thoughtful and well-educated individual; he had graduated from the University of Augsburg, Germany in 1992 with degrees in History, Political Science and Sociology.  He was unafraid to laugh at himself and the “crazy world” of bodybuilding he inhabited. In fact most of the time the conversations would be non-bodybuilding. In the offseason he would, at 315 pounds, come into Weider HQ clad in shorts and casual shirt and as he made his way down the corridors, heads with WTF expressions would pop out of offices to stare in bulging eye fashion at this walking cartoon.

FLEX used to have a section called The Big Picture in which bodybuilders would pick their favorite books, cars and give out other trivia not connected with gym work. Nasser, alone, absolutely refused to do it. He would say, “I won’t answer stupid questions. Nobody wants to know what my favorite movie is.”
RISE AND FALL

In 1995 he won the Night of Champions and Houston Pro and was third in the Olympia and was seen as maybe the biggest threat to Yates, who he could match on size and weight. Although that golden generation of ‘90s bodybuilders weren’t exactly bosom buddies they did hang out together backstage and on European tours. Nasser was different; he seemed to prefer his own company and although classed as a loner he never seemed lonely.

Testing for diuretics took place at the 1996 Mr. Olympia staged in Chicago and at the athletes meeting 48 hours before the contest Nasser excused himself about three times to use the rest room. As he came back for the final time he brushed past me, shot me an impish grin and said, “Yes, I know what you’re thinking. The answer is yes.” On the night of the contest he was placed third, but 48 hours later when the test results came back his sample was found to be positive and he was disqualified. He told me, “I gambled and lost. But I’m not going to cry about it. I can’t -- the diuretics make that impossible.”

At the 1997 Olympia he was runner-up with many in attendance thinking he had ended Yates Sandow run. At the 1998 Arnold his 280 pounds finished second to Flex Wheeler’s 224 pounds, and I found myself writing, “Standing next to each other, Flex looked like Nasser’s lunch.”

With the 1998 Olympia title being up for grabs due to Yates’ retirement, Nasser had great hopes of taking over as bodybuilding’s top man, but Ronnie Coleman spoiled that party and the previous year’s runner-up was third. A few months later he won the 1999 Arnold but that sixth pro victory really was the last hurrah for one of the most enigmatic characters to ever liven up the bodybuilding landscape. His physique and results fell away and his last contest was 14th place at the 2005 Europa Supershow.

As his standings faltered there were accusations that he used synthol in his delts and one time he was hospitalized for an infection in that area. He brushed it off as a “Staph infection,” and also cited “scar tissue” as the cause. Years later he did admit he used Esiclene. During that long – sad to watch -- deteriorating winter of his career Nasser was often asked if he had any thoughts of retiring. He would, respond,” I’m tired of being asked that stupid question. I don't know. Do you know when you're going to retire? Or when you're going to die? Or when you're going to have children? When I know I'm going to retire, I'll announce it, but until then, I don't know."

After the end of his career Nasser became increasingly critical and bitter over the years about the structure of bodybuilding, and how he felt he had not been given his just desserts. It was not an opinion I shared, and he knew it.

THE LAST TIME

It was March 3, 2006, in Columbus Ohio, the night before that year’s Arnold Classic. I found myself in the bar of the Westin Hotel with Nasser. He sipped on a diet coke and I nursed a Johnnie Walker Black. We spoke for maybe three hours and reminisced about former years and discussed many non-bodybuilding subjects. The evening was free of tension and rancor.

That was the last occasion we spoke; we never had any more contact. It was an enjoyable evening when I re-united with the old – which is to say the young – Nasser. A Nasser eager to share a joke and ready to find humor amid the unpredictable world of bodybuilding. The Nasser of that evening is the one I will remember. Rest in peace, my friend.

NASSERTIONS - The Things He Said

On Shawn Ray: “He should apply for a job at Fed-Ex because he tells everyone he has the perfect package.”

On Paul Dillett: “I call him The Great Plains, due to all the wide open spaces on his physique.”

On gurus: “If a bodybuilder finishes first, he screams ‘I won’.  If they lose they say, ‘My guru screwed me up.’”

On genetics: “In bodybuilding, genetics is key. You can give a Greyhound exactly the same amount of steroids as you give a Rottweiler, but the Rottweiler will always be bigger and more massive than the greyhound.”

On training partners: “I never believed in having the crutch of a permanent training partner to urge me on. When I was studying at the University of Augsburg there was no-one standing over me screaming, ‘Come on Nasser, one more book!’”

Bodybuilding Related

• Getbig IV
  • We Are All Blessed To Be Here
« Reply #795 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
By Peter McGough

Nasser El Sonbaty, who passed away March 20, aged 47, was a bodybuilding one-off: A maverick who trod an individual path through his chosen sport.

Born in Stuttgart, Germany, Nasser’s father was Egyptian and his mother was from Yugoslavia (now Serbia). Throughout his contest career he insisted that he be billed as representing Yugoslavia.

SLOW ASCENT

Most guys who crack the Olympia top six on five occasions, as Nasser did, rise pretty fast through the pro ranks. Nasser didn’t.  His pro career started inauspiciously in 1990, and the first occasion I saw him was at the 1991 Night of Champions where he finished out of the top 14. The winner was Dorian Yates and on that day if someone had said the Yugoslavian behemoth would eventually threaten Yates’ Olympia reign, they would have been told, “Yeah, and one day Arnold Schwarzenegger will be Governor of California.” 

Two third places in 1993 at the French and German Grand Prixs signaled that the 270 pounder was on the move, and 1994 was a breakthrough year when he finished second to Mike Francois at the Night of Champions and seventh in his first Olympia. By now he had moved to San Diego and I got to know him quite well as he came into the Weider offices in LA regularly. I found him to be a thoughtful and well-educated individual; he had graduated from the University of Augsburg, Germany in 1992 with degrees in History, Political Science and Sociology.  He was unafraid to laugh at himself and the “crazy world” of bodybuilding he inhabited. In fact most of the time the conversations would be non-bodybuilding. In the offseason he would, at 315 pounds, come into Weider HQ clad in shorts and casual shirt and as he made his way down the corridors, heads with WTF expressions would pop out of offices to stare in bulging eye fashion at this walking cartoon.

FLEX used to have a section called The Big Picture in which bodybuilders would pick their favorite books, cars and give out other trivia not connected with gym work. Nasser, alone, absolutely refused to do it. He would say, “I won’t answer stupid questions. Nobody wants to know what my favorite movie is.”
RISE AND FALL

In 1995 he won the Night of Champions and Houston Pro and was third in the Olympia and was seen as maybe the biggest threat to Yates, who he could match on size and weight. Although that golden generation of ‘90s bodybuilders weren’t exactly bosom buddies they did hang out together backstage and on European tours. Nasser was different; he seemed to prefer his own company and although classed as a loner he never seemed lonely.

Testing for diuretics took place at the 1996 Mr. Olympia staged in Chicago and at the athletes meeting 48 hours before the contest Nasser excused himself about three times to use the rest room. As he came back for the final time he brushed past me, shot me an impish grin and said, “Yes, I know what you’re thinking. The answer is yes.” On the night of the contest he was placed third, but 48 hours later when the test results came back his sample was found to be positive and he was disqualified. He told me, “I gambled and lost. But I’m not going to cry about it. I can’t -- the diuretics make that impossible.”

At the 1997 Olympia he was runner-up with many in attendance thinking he had ended Yates Sandow run. At the 1998 Arnold his 280 pounds finished second to Flex Wheeler’s 224 pounds, and I found myself writing, “Standing next to each other, Flex looked like Nasser’s lunch.”

With the 1998 Olympia title being up for grabs due to Yates’ retirement, Nasser had great hopes of taking over as bodybuilding’s top man, but Ronnie Coleman spoiled that party and the previous year’s runner-up was third. A few months later he won the 1999 Arnold but that sixth pro victory really was the last hurrah for one of the most enigmatic characters to ever liven up the bodybuilding landscape. His physique and results fell away and his last contest was 14th place at the 2005 Europa Supershow.

As his standings faltered there were accusations that he used synthol in his delts and one time he was hospitalized for an infection in that area. He brushed it off as a “Staph infection,” and also cited “scar tissue” as the cause. Years later he did admit he used Esiclene. During that long – sad to watch -- deteriorating winter of his career Nasser was often asked if he had any thoughts of retiring. He would, respond,” I’m tired of being asked that stupid question. I don't know. Do you know when you're going to retire? Or when you're going to die? Or when you're going to have children? When I know I'm going to retire, I'll announce it, but until then, I don't know."

After the end of his career Nasser became increasingly critical and bitter over the years about the structure of bodybuilding, and how he felt he had not been given his just desserts. It was not an opinion I shared, and he knew it.

THE LAST TIME

It was March 3, 2006, in Columbus Ohio, the night before that year’s Arnold Classic. I found myself in the bar of the Westin Hotel with Nasser. He sipped on a diet coke and I nursed a Johnnie Walker Black. We spoke for maybe three hours and reminisced about former years and discussed many non-bodybuilding subjects. The evening was free of tension and rancor.

That was the last occasion we spoke; we never had any more contact. It was an enjoyable evening when I re-united with the old – which is to say the young – Nasser. A Nasser eager to share a joke and ready to find humor amid the unpredictable world of bodybuilding. The Nasser of that evening is the one I will remember. Rest in peace, my friend.

NASSERTIONS - The Things He Said

On Shawn Ray: “He should apply for a job at Fed-Ex because he tells everyone he has the perfect package.”

On Paul Dillett: “I call him The Great Plains, due to all the wide open spaces on his physique.”

On gurus: “If a bodybuilder finishes first, he screams ‘I won’.  If they lose they say, ‘My guru screwed me up.’”

On genetics: “In bodybuilding, genetics is key. You can give a Greyhound exactly the same amount of steroids as you give a Rottweiler, but the Rottweiler will always be bigger and more massive than the greyhound.”

On training partners: “I never believed in having the crutch of a permanent training partner to urge me on. When I was studying at the University of Augsburg there was no-one standing over me screaming, ‘Come on Nasser, one more book!’”

And THAT, Getbiggers...is why Peter McGough is the best in the business. 

RIP Nasser

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #796 on: March 25, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
Wow just saw this.

RIP Nassar, you were a beautiful man 300+ lbs w/abs.

L

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #797 on: March 26, 2013, 01:19:23 AM »
who is this peter mcgough fella, anyway?

and ;D @ the nassertions, the shawn ray one had me cracking up :D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #798 on: March 26, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
who is this peter mcgough fella, anyway?

and ;D @ the nassertions, the shawn ray one had me cracking up :D

Peter McGough has been one of the very best editors, writers and respected people in the industry.  He was editor of Flex Magazine for a number of years, the one that brought up and talked about Dorian Yates when no one knew him, and his vast knowledge of the people in the industry is incredible (a few know that much, like Lonnie Teper, Steve Wennerstrom, Joe Roark).  When AMI and Peter parted ways, he retired and moved out to Florida from Woodland Hills, and today, writes for MD. 

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #799 on: March 26, 2013, 08:03:07 AM »
Peter McGough has been one of the very best editors, writers and respected people in the industry.  He was editor of Flex Magazine for a number of years, the one that brought up and talked about Dorian Yates when no one knew him, and his vast knowledge of the people in the industry is incredible (a few know that much, like Lonnie Teper, Steve Wennerstrom, Joe Roark).  When AMI and Peter parted ways, he retired and moved out to Florida from Woodland Hills, and today, writes for MD. 

a top schmoe that is