Author Topic: RIP Joe Weider  (Read 57596 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: JOE WEIDER JUST PASSED AWAY!
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
I guess there will be no more Weider Principle publications, RIP.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
isnt boby chicherello slowly dying of some sort of massive lifelong steroid abuse induced cancer too?

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: RIP Joe Weider
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2013, 11:02:45 AM »
RIP Joe Weider.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
what ever it is its not your fault

;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
You not only rode the short bus, but you actually sat in the back...didn't you?

Haha damn that was a good one, Coach.  8) :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
isnt boby chicherello slowly dying of some sort of massive lifelong steroid abuse induced cancer too?
I haven't heard that, but notice he hasn't been here or MC at events. Where did this information come from?

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Lol pic of Derek Anthony

Fella is still alive, do you guys thing Nasser and Joe Weider passing away is affecting Derek too?
#

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »
arnold has posted an eulogy on facebook

Today, I lost a dear friend and mentor, and the world lost one its strongest advocates of living a healthy lifestyle. Joe Weider was a titan in the fitness industry and one of the kindest men I have ever met.

I knew about Joe Weider long before I met him - he was the godfather of fitness who told all of us to "Be Somebody with a Body." He taught us that through hard work and training we could all be champions. When I was a young boy in Austria, his muscle magazines provided me with the inspiration and the blueprint to push myself beyond my limits and imagine a much bigger future. I know that countless others around the world found motivation in the pages of his publications just as I did, but as I read his articles in Austria, I felt that he was speaking directly to me and I committed to move to America to make my vision of becoming the best bodybuilder, to live the American dream, and to become an actor a reality.

Joe didn’t just inspire my earliest dreams; he made them come true the day he invited me to move to America to pursue my bodybuilding career. I will never forget his generosity. One of Joe’s greatest qualities is that he wasn’t just generous with his money; he freely gave of his time and expertise and became a father figure for me. He advised me on my training, on my business ventures, and once, bizarrely, claimed I was a German Shakespearean actor to get me my first acting role in "Hercules in New York", even though I barely spoke English. As my career took off, he was always nearby, giving advice, promoting my movies or my crusade as the Chairman of the President's Council on Fitness in the pages of his magazines, and appearing at my fundraisers and events when I decided to run for Governor. He was there for me constantly throughout my life, and I will miss him dearly.

He leaves behind a fantastic legacy of a fitter world. Very few people can claim to have influenced as many lives as Joe did through his magazines, his supplements, his training equipment, and his big-hearted personality. Joe was known for urging everyone, “Exceed yourself,” and there is no question that throughout his life, he did just that.

My thoughts and prayers are with his extraordinary wife, the love of his life, Betty, and all of his family and friends.

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
shitty mags

Haven't opened a Flex in ages, but back before the Internet it was amazing. If you weren't in Santa Monica through Flex and it's smaller competitors you got all your information, all your Olympia coverage etc. No Internet, no forums.

Is it questionable to push Mega Mass 4000 etc. with a pic of Achim Albrecht or whoever? Surely, yes, although it's nothing more than everybody else does. That is the thing that I really dislike, Joe obviously knew the name of the game better than anyone.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »
Joe Weider WAS bodybuilding. May he rest in peace.  :(

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »

No. That is incorrect.

"1"

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
RIP. still in shock over the passing over of Nasser

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

No, he got rich by taking his 7 dollars in savings to buy 600 postcards to send to people selling his magazine subscriptions for 75 cents for 6 bimonthy issues.  Then he bought a typewriter with the subscription money and typed out the first issue at night on his mom's dining room table while he worked during the day as a laborer, drew all of of the pictures by hand, and rented a mimigraph magazine and printed out each issue.

In other words, he had an idea and he followed through.  Without him, there would be no Getbig, no RX, no MD.....hell no bodybuilding at all for that matter
A

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
R.I.P. Master Blaster!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
iirc he had prostate cancer

prostate cancer is common

if found in early stage it's totally curable

TheTruth90

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Steve Marcello Arce--poster boy for stupid
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »

Without him, there would be no Getbig, no RX, no MD.....hell no bodybuilding at all for that matter

OMG...How would the world ever function without these things???????????

Idiot.

::)

closeline

• Getbig IV
Re: Joe Weider on life support?
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

that s true for the most part regarding todays bodybuilding

but don t forget, the weiders were not the leaders for 15yrs now

when joe ruled the bodybuilding world it was better , becuase at least most of the dark side was kept behind  behind closed doors and at least there was someone trying to coordinate the buisness, had some kind of a plan

today it s all druged up idiots, shmoes, rec drug addicts and prostitution in front of the eyes of the teens that pic up a magazine or log into bbwebsite to get tips  to gain just some muscles to look like something

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
While some of the negativity may be valid, no point in speaking ill of the dead... They can't change and you can't change them.

TheTrueVictor

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
Nasser El Sonbaty and Joe Weider within a week  :(

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:30 PM »
Nasser El Sonbaty and Joe Weider within a week  :(
who is nex?

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Rest in peace....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
GALIENKO: I'm not positive about the following due to the fact that I have been out of the loop for a while now, but I seem to think that the new Men's Physique and /or Men's Classic BB Competitions were created in an effort to satisfy those individuals who wanted to compete in a form of bodybuilding contests that were somewhat similar to the IFBB professional competitions, but on a much different scale or format where the contenders do not appear to be 'pregnant' and continue to look somewhat athletic once the contest season is over.

(Or something like that!)

And you raise an interesting question which appears to be an exaggeration to which I have some serious doubts ...... "Half the pros from the 90s are dead."

I have not kept track of such figures and have to ask ...... Is that a fact or a guesstimate?

Somewhere on this Board I've seen a list of the current IFBB Men's Pros and it would be interesting to take that list  and show for a fact who has passed away for any reason whatsoever.  

Anyone willing to make  an attempt at doing so?

Such a list just might alleviate the need for a Nostradamus like-character to add to the confusion when we GetBiggrers can do it all by ourselves.

The Weiders were not the 'worst' to promote bodybuilding events among the masses.

They were the ONLY!

Others tried but they failed miserably in an attempt to use the competing bodybuilders to bring added revenue intot he Olympic Lifting coffers.

And then into the Powerlifting coffers.

Or to financially support AAu events that needed funds to send AAU swimming teams, etc. to compete in distant regions.

Finally a small group of bodybuilders rebelled (include me in) and broke away and son thereafter the Weiders (both Ben and Joe) appealed to a small group of individuals (include me in) and were given a foot into the door.

But that is a story for another topic if there is any interest.

Others who wanted to control bodybuilding as it was known back then were present and fought avidly for control, but the Weiders showed up in suit an tie and were prepared to  take control from the others because the Weiders placed bodybuilding first and foremost above the other lifting sports.

Lots more to this but please accept the above as my attempt to answer your thoughts and questions about the matter at hand.

Thanks for reading, KAL.

Any questions?Feel free to ask.

ANd then

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
R.I.P.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
RIP Joe.
O

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
Humble beginnings, here's a look at his first magazine -

http://www.starkcenter.org/books/yourphysique/ .