Author Topic: RIP Joe Weider  (Read 57706 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: JOE WEIDER JUST PASSED AWAY!
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »

No, he got rich by taking his 7 dollars in savings to buy 600 postcards to send to people selling his magazine subscriptions for 75 cents for 6 bimonthy issues.  Then he bought a typewriter with the subscription money and typed out the first issue at night on his mom's dining room table while he worked during the day as a laborer, drew all of of the pictures by hand, and rented a mimigraph magazine and printed out each issue.

In other words, he had an idea and he followed through.  Without him, there would be no Getbig, no RX, no MD.....hell no bodybuilding at all for that matter

Here's a look at that first magazine -

http://www.starkcenter.org/books/yourphysique/ .

He wasn't perfect, but it is a lesson in pulling one's self up by the boot straps.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
He left no legacy. He was a businessman who got rich developing something new at the time; weight lifting/bodybuilding/physical conditionning. He insisted on the impressive,e xtremistic, duplicit part of the activity to get richer faster, and was considered a repressed homosexual with a beard of a wife. He sold shitty mags, shitty sups, and shitty benches, machines etc.

From there, others developed either similar or different business plans. Most people that revolved around him were lying scumbags and there are still a lot of them nowadays who disversified in several branches, most of them more corrupt than another. The basic mechanism is left unchanged; lying to gullible newbies to get their money.

A lot of truths. But mostly he just took an existing concept and maximized it commercially.

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
This is the brutal truth.

lol at you pussies who even get mad at this sort of response/truth. Can't take the heat, get out of the fucking kitchen.

Ditto.

Does this open the possibilty of Ed Conners hooking up with Weider's widow since he is bankrupt? He can better carry on the schmoing in the great tradition!!!  He already is living in one of her condos in Vegas, and still has plenty of "house guests".  He will really change the face of bodybuilding.  Lol

DOC
Lift, fuck, make money

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
Here's a look at that first magazine -

http://www.starkcenter.org/books/yourphysique/ .

He wasn't prefect, but it is a lesson in pulling one's self up by the boot straps.
Very much in the Mordechai Richler/Duddy Kravitz school of economics, rather than the Horatio Alger one -  'No one steps on his fellow man harder than the self-made man.'      

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »
Rip Joe , u build the oil brick road to The Kingdom Of Thong!!

SiP

TheTruth90

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Steve Marcello Arce--poster boy for stupid
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

Ditto.

Does this open the possibilty of Ed Conners hooking up with Weider's widow since he is bankrupt? He can better carry on the schmoing in the great tradition!!!  He already is living in one of her condos in Vegas, and still has plenty of "house guests".  He will really change the face of bodybuilding.  Lol

DOC
Lift, fuck, make money

Thanks Doc..I've appreciated your work...If you can get a hold of Arce, please tell him to return.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
I wouldn't have taken up the hobby of bodybuilding/weight lifting if not for weider publications.  i believe this holds true for the majority of us here.  I forgive him for manipulating countless impressionable young men, like myself, by implying that anyone could look like the bodybuilders in the magazine without drugs.

He brought an icon of my youth and the greatest action star of my generation,  Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger to the United States and for that I am grateful. It is not likely that all the great films we have all enjoyed would have ever been made if Joe hadnt have seen something in a young Austrian with the funny last name, and decided to bring him to America.  I forgive him for pushing crap supplements and ineffective training advice that he guaranteed would put slabs of muscle on my scrawny pubescent frame while simultaneously getting me ripped.

I could go on and on.
A

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
Joe Weider WAS bodybuilding. May he rest in peace.  :(
  This..... wow   :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
I wouldn't have taken up the hobby of bodybuilding/weight lifting if not for weider publications.  i believe this holds true for the majority of us here.  I forgive him for manipulating countless impressionable young men, like myself, by implying that anyone could look like the bodybuilders in the magazine without drugs.

He brought an icon of my youth and the greatest action star of my generation,  Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger to the United States and for that I am grateful. It is not likely that all the great films we have all enjoyed would have ever been made if Joe hadnt have seen something in a young Austrian with the funny last name, and decided to bring him to America.  I forgive him for pushing crap supplements and ineffective training advice that he guaranteed would put slabs of muscle on my scrawny pubescent frame while simultaneously getting me ripped.

I could go on and on.
No. You should hold him accountable for his lies. You should also credit him for the positive(s) he did.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
No. You should hold him accountable for his lies. You should also credit him for the positive(s) he did.

Maybe your right Chimps.  You often speak good truths. Asshole owes me money for the shit I spent my hard earned money on.

this is why you should hate him

ruined your life

Not ruined.  Ultimately I'm a lot more skeptical.  Lesson learned and all that shit.
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
Maybe your right Chimps.  You often speak good truths. Asshole owes me money for the shit I spent my hard earned money on.

Not ruined.  Ultimately I'm a lot more skeptical.  Lesson learned and all that shit.

lesson learned doesnt help once too late

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
Re: RIP Joe Weider
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Lots of false information out there about Joe Weider and the IFBB.  Lots of guys wronged by Joe over the years. Wonder if anyone will ever write a tell all book.

"Joe Weider, Trainer of Champions since 1936", but he was born in 1922 (plus or minus a year), so trainer of champions since he was 14.

The Weider Principles did change bodybuilding.  The Weider Principles is what everyone does today at the gym:  do specific exercises for specific muscles.  At every gym in America, before the Weider Principles, they did the three Olympic lifts.  That's it.  Lifting weights was doing the three Olympic lifts.

And prior to the Weiders, bodybuilding contests were looking for the best representation of the American male.  Your facial features mattered.  There was alway an interview process and your ability to carry on a conversation contributed to your score.  Weider changed that by promoting contests where the only thing that mattered was muscle size.  The fans responded and IFBB contests took off and AAU contests withered.

Here is a brief history of the IFBB, http://www.musclememory.com/wiki/index.php?title=History_of_the_IFBB

1946 - The year the IFBB claims it was formed.

May 1947 - Dan Lurie registers the name International Federation of Body Builders with the city of New York. A recent search of the records finds nothing, however most records at that Brooklyn office had been lost in a fire.

October 10 1947 - Ben Weider hosts the Mr Canada contest, but nowhere on the flier does the name IFBB appear. It is unclear when the contests he promoted started using the name.

December 1947 - Joe Weider proposes the formation of the International Federation of Bodybuilders in the December 1947 issue of Your Physique

January 15 1948 - Dan Lurie holds IFBB Mr New York State at the Brooklyn Acadamy of Music. The Weider's disavow their relationship with Lurie.

June 1948 - The June 1948 Your Physique announces the first IFBB Contest will be the Mr Eastern North America contest.

January 1950 - In the January issue of Your Physique, the IFBB recognizes the AAU as the sole governing body of amateur bodybuilding, and that all IFBB contests are professional events only.

1948-1952 - It is unclear when the Mr Canada contest started using the IFBB name. Excluding that contest, during the five years 1948-1952, the Weider's IFBB holds the following events:

1948 - Mr Eastern North America

1949 -
        Mr America
        Mr California
        Canada's Most Perfect Physique
        Mr New York City
        North American Championships

1950 - Best Developed Athlete in America, Mr Eastern America

1952 - Mr California

1953-1958 - Other than perhaps the Mr Canada conest, there are no IFBB events

January 25 1959 - The IFBB holds a Mr Universe, Mr America, and Mr Canada contest in Montreal.

1964 - The first IFBB International Congress is held

December 30, 1969
   The IFBB is registered as a corporation in Canada.
   Executives are Ben Weider, Raymond Crepault and Jacqueline Roy
   NOM: FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DES CULTURISTES INCORPOREE
   MATRICULE: 1143385228
   FORMATION: 1969-12-30 CONSTITUTION
   LOCALITE: CANADA

September 4, 1970 - The first International Conference of the IFBB was held in Belgrade Yugoslavia. (Muscle Builder/Power, June 1971). How this is different than the one held in 1964 is not quite clear.

The IFBB claims this year's World Amateur Championships will be the 67th.  This would make it one year older than the NABBA Universe.   The IFBB Worlds use to be called the IFBB Universe, but due to copyright infringement they changed the name to World Amateur Championships in 1978.   The first IFBB Universe was in 1959.  There was no contest in 1961.  However, the first four IFBB Universe contests were pro events.  There have been 18 IFBB Universe contests, and 35 World Amateur Championships.  So at most this year would be the 54th Worlds.  but if you only count the amateur events, this year would be the 50th World Amateur Championships.  You'd think they'd want to celebrate that.

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »
He lived almost twice as Nasser...dude lived a great life and it was time.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

First off, Tim, this is a tribute to Joe Weider and its pretty shitty that you're wanting to take a piss on it at this time.  Secondly, don't believe everything that Dan Lurie told you....I know you still have your head stuck up his ass but he really was not as honest as you THINK he was. ::)
A

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
RIP

mryorkielover

• Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Was lucky enough to meet him and film him in 2009. Some people loved him and others hated him. But I believe that he did put bodybuilding into the mainstream of the public. And yes he made a lot of money for doing so. RIP Joe Weider.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
First off, Tim, this is a tribute to Joe Weider and its pretty shitty that you're wanting to take a piss on it at this time.  Secondly, don't believe everything that Dan Lurie told you....I know you still have your head stuck up his ass but he really was not as honest as you THINK he was. ::)

None of this comes from Dan Luire.  This is information I have found in my collection of bodybuilding magazines from the time.  Nor is this pissing on Weider.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
The true father of Bodybuilding.  RIP.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
None of this comes from Dan Luire.  This is information I have found in my collection of bodybuilding magazines from the time.  Nor is this pissing on Weider.

Really???  Here's the first thing you wrote:

Lots of false information out there about Joe Weider and the IFBB.  Lots of guys wronged by Joe over the years. Wonder if anyone will ever write a tell all book.

You know good and well that Dan Lurie wrote a tell all book because you built both of his websites advertising it as well as his personal website.  Now is definitely not the time for your shit so go and run along and play outside.
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Very much in the Mordechai Richler/Duddy Kravitz school of economics, rather than the Horatio Alger one -  'No one steps on his fellow man harder than the self-made man.'      

http://www.monadnock.net/douglass/self-made-men.html

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Bodybuilding should shift under Arnold`s control.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2013, 01:49:09 PM »

That's not the point...any discussion regarding business ethics and allegations should be discussed elsewhere at a later date....not right after he died.  Its pretty tasteless
A

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
RIP Joe Weider.

The miserable prick gimmick level on Getbig is at an all time high

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!