Author Topic: News Flash Joe Weider passed Away today. RIP  (Read 13172 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
News Flash Joe Weider passed Away today. RIP
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »
 :( post your pics or rememberances of joe. positive feedback only as this is the history section. save the other for gossip etc....
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: joe weider 1920-2013
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
Something I suspect you can relate to, S:

I've always considered Joe to be the Vince McMahon of bodybuilding. Without his vision, enthusiasm, and intellect, bodybuilding would very likely have vanished into obscurity. Joe took and kept top-level bodybuilding mainstream and has allowed a lot of folks to earn a damn nice living from it.

Look at some of the most successful figures in the industry like Gaspari, Labrada, Everson, Arnold, Lorimer, Kennedy, Blechman, etc. They all busted their asses to climb to the top of the industry, but if it wasn't for Weider, there may have been no such industry to conquer.

My first weight set and bench were Weider. My first bodybuilding magazine was Weider. And, I could tell you about my first protein powder, which was Weider too, but you only want positive comments. ;)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: joe weider 1920-2013
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Something I suspect you can relate to, S:

I've always considered Joe to be the Vince McMahon of bodybuilding. Without his vision, enthusiasm, and intellect, bodybuilding would very likely have vanished into obscurity. Joe took and kept top-level bodybuilding mainstream and has allowed a lot of folks to earn a damn nice living from it.

Look at some of the most successful figures in the industry like Gaspari, Labrada, Everson, Arnold, Lorimer, Kennedy, Blechman, etc. They all busted their asses to climb to the top of the industry, but if it wasn't for Weider, there may have been no such industry to conquer.

My first weight set and bench were Weider. My first bodybuilding magazine was Weider. And, I could tell you about my first protein powder, which was Weider too, but you only want positive comments. ;)
truer words were never spoken... bodybuilding won't be what it is today for better or worse without weider ,but at least it's there.
F

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
News Flash Joe Weider passed Away today. RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »
Just got an email from Bodybuilding Promoter Mike Glass that Joe Weider passed away today of heart failure at age 93. More info as it comes in.
Rip Big Joe.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: News Flash Joe Weider passed Away today. RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »
Just got an email from Bodybuilding Promoter Mike Glass that Joe Weider passed away today of heart failure at age 93. More info as it comes in.
Rip Big Joe.
merged the topics used your headline.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
1920-2013
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »
jw
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:11 PM »
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

Funk,
Did Draper and Joe bury the hatchet in later years?

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
Only met Joe a few times.
It was back when he and Pop joined in togather to sell the Weider / Zuver Gym Franchise's and equipment. He was always nice to all of us. Despite what a lot of past articles in different publications and blogs have said about Bob Zuver and Joe Weider not getting along, or having a blowout dispute over there business dealings, I would like to clear that up right now. There all BS.  I can tell you for certain that at least from Bob Zuver's view that he thought Joe was one of the greatest men in the business.  He had dad's and my admiration for the many years of great things Joe accomplished. He will be long remembered and surely missed.
Thanks Joe.
The Zuver's

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
What a great Canadian success story!

Whoever thought getting rejected from a wrestling team would lead to such an amazing legacy?

RIP Mr Weider.
w

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

Funk,
Did Draper and Joe bury the hatchet in later years?
don't really know so this is pure speculation. joe was probably never really mad at draper for sueing him he orchestrated many suits on his behalf or behalf of others[many times against dan lurie his former partner] so for weider it was just par for the course. and weider got off cheap 17 k for what would probably been a million dollar settlement. dave probably forgave him because what else could he do he was still in the bodybuilding business and weider's was the only game in town. probably laree draper could shed light on this. check her out on facebook or the dave draper website.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »
i always got a kick out of that lawsuit, as the proof of the basis for it was in everyone's hands that bought weider mags dave draper was literally on every third page in some issues. yet he was never compensated for it. outside the 200 dollars a week weider paid him to work in the warehouse.
F

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
RIP Master Blaster
H

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
i always got a kick out of that lawsuit, as the proof of the basis for it was in everyone's hands that bought weider mags dave draper was literally on every third page in some issues. yet he was never compensated for it. outside the 200 dollars a week weider paid him to work in the warehouse.

Yea but.
Dave never complained back then. $200.00 a week wasn't all that bad back then. It was the only game in town. Also it gave Dave a lot of exposure he would have otherwise never had. All the coverage Dave got not only in Weider's mags but others that he also didn't get paid for, made Dave the house hold name he is today. All that free press did Dave a favor. After all Arnold did it for Joe for only $100.00 a week. And look at him now. No one twisted Dave's Big Arm.
That's just another way to look at it.
RZ

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
Yea but.
Dave never complained back then. $200.00 a week wasn't all that bad back then. It was the only game in town. Also it gave Dave a lot of exposure he would have otherwise never had. All the coverage Dave got not only in Weider's mags but others that he also didn't get paid for, made Dave the house hold name he is today. All that free press did Dave a favor. After all Arnold did it for Joe for only $100.00 a week. And look at him now. No one twisted Dave's Big Arm.
That's just another way to look at it.
RZ

Excellent points.
Instead of pissing and moaning, he could have found ways to further capitalize on it.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »

Excellent points.
Instead of pissing and moaning, he could have found ways to further capitalize on it.

Right
But you see in the long run he is still capitalizing on it.
I love the man and his wife for all they do for the sport.
Dave and Laree both have dedicated there lives to the sport and have written and published more articles about Zuver's Gym over the years than any other website. We all went through the hard times back in though's days. I for one am glad Dave is getting the rewards now.
RZ