Author Topic: Layne Norton discusses fast vs. slow cardio  (Read 11437 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Layne Norton discusses fast vs. slow cardio
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Layne Norton discusses fast vs. slow cardio
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:40:44 AM »
I love you like a Father, musclecenter, but this is really thin soup.  :-\    ;D

ukjeff

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »
Fucking yawn...what a load of bollocks.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »

Agreed, some one as educated as Layme he is not every articulate  :-\
I

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 06:26:17 AM »
well i agree.. 3 mins wonīt get you in shape like 30-45 mins RUNNING with hills in there. Not talking walking at a slow 3mph...lol. used to say at least 20mins hit cardio then 4 mins now itīs 3... ::)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
layne norton is really really boring

ukjeff

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
Simple doesn't sell.
"Get off your fat fuckin arse stop shoving shite food in your gob and do some exercise"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »
Simple doesn't sell.
"Get off your fat fuckin arse stop shoving shite food in your gob and do some exercise"

the easy way out sells

"wanna be lean and ripped?"

"here, take this pill i have to sell you then all your problems will be solved"

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
It's called High intensity interval training (HIIT). And it's been a known fact for a long time that this is the most superior form of fat burning cardio. Over a decade I think. Layne is just explaining it at a celluar level lol

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »
layne is always wearing a cap now that his hair is fucked

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:02 AM »
It's called High intensity interval training (HIIT). And it's been a known fact for a long time that this is the most superior form of fat burning cardio. Over a decade I think. Layne is just explaining it at a celluar level lol
been around or an early form of it much longer. It was really developed in the 1930īs in Sweden and was called "Fartlek" which means..speed play. This is a form of "Interval" training which combines continuous and Interval training. Therefor trains Aerobic and Anaerobic. Interval training has been known for a long time, just that in the last few years itīs reappeared in "new" forms. I remember in the Army way back in 1985 doing Interval training and Fartlek... running in a squad and the last 2 men sprinting forward to the front and so on...soon got you fucked. We combined this with longer endurance runs and also with weight. sprints we did in the gym on the lines marked on the gym floor sprinting further each time. so all this is not new. Recycled like a lot of training.

ukjeff

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
its been around since the stone age.
Cavemen sprinting after gazelle were in better shape than the crippled cavemen who just walked about everywhere.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 07:52:28 AM »
its been around since the stone age.
Cavemen sprinting after gazelle were in better shape than the crippled cavemen who just walked about everywhere.
or this... ;D running away from a saber toothed tiger...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »
been around or an early form of it much longer. It was really developed in the 1930īs in Sweden and was called "Fartlek" which means..speed play. This is a form of "Interval" training which combines continuous and Interval training. Therefor trains Aerobic and Anaerobic. Interval training has been known for a long time, just that in the last few years itīs reappeared in "new" forms. I remember in the Army way back in 1985 doing Interval training and Fartlek... running in a squad and the last 2 men sprinting forward to the front and so on...soon got you fucked. We combined this with longer endurance runs and also with weight. sprints we did in the gym on the lines marked on the gym floor sprinting further each time. so all this is not new. Recycled like a lot of training.

were you a track and x-country man in your younger days?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:54:21 AM »
a lean body is built in the kitchen
R

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
In simple terms when you do low intensity cardio your body's fuel is fat. When you do high intensity cardio the fuel is your body's sugar as in glycogen. Of course there are ratios involved. What determines the fat loss is the total caloric cost of the exercise not the fuel system used.

Another thing that people are influenced in the the heart training zone popularized by the father of Aerobics Dr. Cooper. Training in the heart zone he proposed is a formula meant for the masses to increase health when doing cardio. It isn't a formula that athletes should use.

Common sense and science dictate that the harder you train the more calories you are going to use. You will burn more fat running a 6 minute mile than a 10 minute mile.

High intensity intervals are great and so is training at a high intensity concerning cardio. The only problem is that if you are a bodybuilder and not an athlete you have to make sure that lifting weights is your priority. Adding 8 sets of 200 meter intervals can take away greatly from the energy needed for your primary activity of lifting weights. That is why so many bodybuilders just do stuff very successfully like fast walking on grade. It doesn't exhaust them for their primary activity. One thing for sure the harder the cardio I'm convinced burns calories past the activity. A pound of fat is 3500 calories and the math doesn't add up when the scale says you lost 3 pounds in a week.

There is also a duration vs intensity factor. Is doing 6 x 40 yards in addition to lifting what you need to lose fat? Is there to much intensity risking injury and to much intensity for the duration of time needed to burn fat. Is it better to do 6 x 400 meters? I would argue it is.

There is no one size fits all requirement concerning cardio. It depends on your goals such as are you a bodybuilder vs an athlete who lifts weights. Are you taking drugs? Judging by guys who deny taking drugs and looking at their contest pictures vs off season I would say so many are plain liars.

As a former high school and college track guy I believe most will burn out doing intervals exclusively. Intervals were  rare for milers prior to Roger Bannister. Most milers in his day ran such things as 5 to 10 miles a day. Roger Bannister used for the most part 10 sets of 440 yard sprints. When he would burn out he would go hiking or take a distance run. If bodybuilding is your priority cardio is always second in your training. Mixing in something like 4 x 800 meters and the next cardio session go for a hard 2 to 3 miles can work for a natural trainer. A bloated drug user might give them self a heart attack.

You should always consult a doctor prior to doing high intensity cardio. You don't want to drop dead trying to get ripped.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
a lean body is built in the kitchen
x2

L00n

• Getbig IV
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
the part about Ben was ridiculous ...

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »

Great video, respect.

I didn't know he deadslifts 700lbs, pretty amazing. My boy did 725 recently but he's bigger still, anyone doing 700... frickin epic.. i can only dream of that maybe 5 years from now haha... :D

Personally i do 4-5mph on a 4 to 15 incline for an hour... that probably burns a hell lot more than either methods.. thats what i do..

Saves my knees and ankles.. while sprints i can sprint fast and i know its effective... but my knees hate me day in day out :( The treadmills also feel like they are going to fail apart when i sprint above 10mph... feels unsafe lol.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
HhHAHha MATT C is a fucken legend best strict bench press for bodyweight  in canada p4p

layne is a champion too, knows exactly how to get jacked probably has all his clients squating 500 for reps just like layne does

A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
HhHAHha MATT C is a fucken legend best strict bench press for bodyweight  in canada p4p

layne is a champion too, knows exactly how to get jacked probably has all his clients squating 500 for reps just like layne does

laynbe norton's voice and personality is not cut out for stardom

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
laynbe norton's voice and personality is not cut out for stardom

layne is an expert Dr. in training, is it true everyone of his clients end up squatting 500 plus after 6-8months training with LAYNE?
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
layne is an expert Dr. in training, is it true everyone of his clients end up squatting 500 plus after 6-8months training with LAYNE?
layne is the master of lifting weights without looking like you could lift it

he looks like a solid every day guy

but can squat like 600-700 lbs

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
layne is the master of lifting weights without looking like you could lift it

he looks like a solid every day guy

but can squat like 600-700 lbs

it takes one to acheive those feats but takes an expert to teach others how to duplicate
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
it takes one to acheive those feats but takes an expert to teach others how to duplicate
500lbs squat is not impressive on juice

i know one guy who can do it natural olympic style squat

i know pretty damn sure he's natural, he even has been diagnosed with low test from killing himself in the gym

i saw the documents

sick (can send you pic in pm)