Author Topic: SBC's Land: Polygamy Will Follow Gay Marriage  (Read 8364 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: SBC's Land: Polygamy Will Follow Gay Marriage
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
That's a stupid definition anyway.

If 10 people want to get married, who gives a shit... Let them. As long as they are all adults and in sound mind, let it fucking go.

Why do people care?

yeah I basically feel the same,

I think it is a slippery slope, claiming it's not is an absurd argument to me.

But why would anybody care.  Marry 20 people for all I give a fuck.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »
the whole idea of marriage seems retarded to me now. why do you need other people to recognize you're "together" so that you can have sex? just fuck her already. jesus.

I would agree with you, but unfortunately, there are some legal advantages afforded married people which are not available to unmarried couples.

In Germany, where my son married his wife, there are two marriage ceremonies. There is the civil marriage and the "church" wedding a few days later. It makes for a wild several day ongoing celebration.

It seems to me if folks in the U.S. could envision separating the civil marriage from the religious one, it would simplify things somewhat for gay marriages. The civil marriage legally joins two people in a marriage contract which affords them all the benefits of marriage. The church marriage is like the icing on the cake, it is simply a religious celebration of marriage, but has no legal implications.

My wife is Catholic and I am not. Back in the early 60's when we got married, the priest we were working with refused to marry us because we were already living together, thus living in sin in his eyes....go figure. Catholic church doctrine dictates that if someone marries in another church, they can never be remarried in the Catholic church. However, if the couple gets married by a justice of the peace they can later be married in the Catholic church. My honey and I were married by a justice of the peace in Las Vegas, Nevada. A year later, after my going through yet another Catholic conversion class (my term for this process) a Paulist Priest agreed to marry us in the chapel (not the main church). Frankly speaking, I could have cared less about being married in the eyes of the Catholic church, but it was important to my bride.

As a side note, I am not Catholic. I never converted, which I am convinced was the goal of the priests we dealt with back then. Both of our children went to parochial schools for the primary grades and were definitely exposed to the Catholic church. In fact, our son was not only an altar boy, he sang in the church choir and was head of the youth group. He married a Catholic woman and they both still are heavily involved in the church.

On the other hand, our daughter who also had a Catholic wedding with her husband who was raised Catholic, classifies herself as an atheist. Well, she was always a bit of a rebel and definitely daddy's girl.

Anyway the point of my digression is that church doctrine may prohibit gay marriage and that is their right. However, there are valid reasons why all people should be afforded the opportunity to be legally married and this doesn't need to fly in the face of any religious beliefs.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:28 AM »
Who says it's a civil right? And, marriage has many components, among them a religious one.

Do you need a church's permission to get married or a state's permission?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »

I said there are many components, including a religious one. Not all are required to get married (i.e. the religious one), per state law.

Again, who says marriage is a civil right?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
Again, I said marriage is not a religious right but a civil one.  You saw the word "religious" and immediately went into fundie mode trying to split hairs and talk about something different.  The only religious component to a marriage is the one that people opt to include.  It is not mandatory.  It is not necessary.  Reading scripture from the Bible does not empower or validate a marriage.

If you don't think it is a civil right, then by no means would the states have any power over it as a whole because it would not be a civil issue.  As I said, you don't need  permission of the church or a church involved at any point to get married... but let's see someone try that without a state's permission and a state being involved. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
Again, I said marriage is not a religious right but a civil one.  You saw the word "religious" and immediately went into fundie mode trying to split hairs and talk about something different.  The only religious component to a marriage is the one that people opt to include.  It is not mandatory.  It is not necessary.  Reading scripture from the Bible does not empower or validate a marriage.

If you don't think it is a civil right, then by no means would the states have any power over it as a whole because it would not be a civil issue.  As I said, you don't need  permission of the church or a church involved at any point to get married... but let's see someone try that without a state's permission and a state being involved.  

Again, WHO says it's a civil right?

You saw a few commandments, based on a sidebar conversation I was having with Straw, and immediately went into anti-religious libbie mode.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
Again, WHO says it's a civil right?

You saw a few commandments, based on a sidebar conversation I was having with Straw, and immediately went into anti-religious libbie mode.

WHO says it isn't?  I didn't quote, address or direct my original post towards you, Straw or anyone else.  What makes you think that?  Again, you see the word "religious" and immediately go into defense mode.  And as far as the "libbie" thing.... I mentioned absolutely nothing about politics or political inclination.  You just had to include that in a (failed) attempt to give your rant substance.  Which it has none. 

Civil Right
Right or rights belonging to a person by reason of citizenship including especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th amendments and subsequent acts of Congress including the right to legal and social and economic equality

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
WHO says it isn't?  I didn't quote, address or direct my original post towards you, Straw or anyone else.  What makes you think that?  Again, you see the word "religious" and immediately go into defense mode.  And as far as the "libbie" thing.... I mentioned absolutely nothing about politics or political inclination.  You just had to include that in a (failed) attempt to give your rant substance.  Which it has none.  

Civil Right
Right or rights belonging to a person by reason of citizenship including especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th amendments and subsequent acts of Congress including the right to legal and social and economic equality

But, I directed my question towards you, one you seem to be having a tough time answering.

Hence, we have your failed attempt to answer a question with a question.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
But, I directed my question towards you, one you seem to be having a tough time answering.

So your attempt to interject my comment with a conversation you were having with someone else failed and now you want to pretend otherwise.  Ok.  If you need to do that.

Furthermore, I answered it.  You just seem to have a problem understanding it.  Again, who says it ISN'T a civil right?  I just posted the definition of civil right.

Now your turn.  Continue to talk in circles or tell us why it isn't a civil right and said it wasn't. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
So your attempt to interject my comment with a conversation you were having with someone else failed and now you want to pretend otherwise.  Ok.  If you need to do that.

Furthermore, I answered it.  You just seem to have a problem understanding it.  Again, who says it ISN'T a civil right?  I just posted the definition of civil right.

Now your turn.  Continue to talk in circles or tell us why it isn't a civil right and said it wasn't. 

You posted a definition. I didn't ask you about the definition a civil right is. I asked WHO says marriage is a civil right.

Yet, you duck and dodge that simple question, opting instead to sidestep with this gibberish.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
The definition pretty much says what a civil right is.  If you want to argue semantics and try to split hairs in your back pedaling, then you  need to find someone else to argue with.  Relying on the other person to make your argument for you just isn't going to cut it with me.

If you are hell bent on making a fool out of yourself, then you can post why it isn't a civil right?   ::)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 01:15:20 AM »

Both. Any church can refuse to marry anyone for any reason they chose. The state has fewer options. They are obligated to marry any people who qualify under current law. The arguments for or against gay marriage apply primarily to a civil marriage. It leaves open the right of any church or religious order to refuse to marry folks for any reason they wish to invoke.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
Both. Any church can refuse to marry anyone for any reason they chose. The state has fewer options. They are obligated to marry any people who qualify under current law. The arguments for or against gay marriage apply primarily to a civil marriage. It leaves open the right of any church or religious order to refuse to marry folks for any reason they wish to invoke.

You don't need a church's permission to get married.  You can go to the courthouse. 

But let's see a church marry someone without state approval.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
The definition pretty much says what a civil right is.  If you want to argue semantics and try to split hairs in your back pedaling, then you  need to find someone else to argue with.  Relying on the other person to make your argument for you just isn't going to cut it with me.

If you are hell bent on making a fool out of yourself, then you can post why it isn't a civil right?   ::)

There's no back-pedaling on my part, just dodging on yours. You have yet to answer WHO proclaimed marriage a civil right.

I'm not relying on anyone to make my argument for me, LEAST OF ALL you.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
"Wife Swap" on ABC has a polyamorous group, being featured.

http://drginaloudon.com/2013/03/celebrity-wife-swap-spoilers-a-tea-party-activist-a-mother-in-the-middle-of-a-polyamorous-relationship-swap/

NOPE! Polygamy wil never come here, as a result of gay "marriage".

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
the jesus people don't like it when they can't control everyone,here's an idea   mind your own fu@king business

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
the jesus people don't like it when they can't control everyone,here's an idea   mind your own fu@king business

Look who's talking: One of the Obama worshippers, who want to control what/how people:

- Eat
- Drink
- Drive
- Shoot
- Educate kids
- How many kids per family
- Use energy
- Spend their own money (how much money they keep)

And that's just the short list.

Try taking your own advice.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
your the one on here worrying about what people do in their personal lfe          jesus freak  :D :D :D :D :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
your the one on here worrying about what people do in their personal lfe          jesus freak  :D :D :D :D :D

You're projecting again. Virtually everything on that list are items in people's personal lives that YOU and your fellow TKers want to control.

Obama freak!!

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
your the one that started this post,you jesus freaks are the worst at worrying about what other people are doing in their personal lives,and most of the time you are the biggest hypocrites

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
your the one that started this post,you jesus freaks are the worst at worrying about what other people are doing in their personal lives,and most of the time you are the biggest hypocrites

Who started this thread again? OH!! Beach Bum!! And, since my comments fit the topic, I added them.

Again, you're projecting here, putting your Obama-worshipping tendencies on others because you and your buddies are all about what other people do in their personal lives, as it relates to the aforementioned topics.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
the jesus freaks always worried about other peoples live,specially if it has to do with sex,just worry about what's going on in your own bedroom

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »

Civil Right

::)

Instead of arguing semantics on the above statement, tell us why it isn't a civil right?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
the jesus freaks always worried about other peoples live,specially if it has to do with sex,just worry about what's going on in your own bedroom

And the Obama freraks are always worried about other people's lives, specifically if it has to do with what/how you:

- Eat
- Drink
- Drive
- Shoot
- Educate your kids and how many you have
- Use energy
- Spend their own money (how much money they keep)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
::)

Instead of arguing semantics on the above statement, tell us why it isn't a civil right?

Instead of reposting something I didn't ask you, try answering the question I DID ask you, namely WHO says marriage is a civil right.