Author Topic: MY MEMORIES OF DENNIS TINERINO. ( BY BOB ZUVER)  (Read 12207 times)

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
MY MEMORIES OF DENNIS TINERINO. ( BY BOB ZUVER)
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »
                                                         DENNIS TINERINO
        For those of you who don't already know who I am, I'm Robert Zuver eldest son of Big Bob Zuver of Zuver's Hall of Fame Gym. Many to the worlds best musclemen, weightlifter's, Bodybuilders, Powerlifter's, and Strongmen trained at our gym back in the early 60s,70s, and 80's. I was very privileged to grow up around a lot of these guys and get to hang out with a lot of the legends of today. Before Christmas one of the members here asked me to post a few words about an old family friend Dennis Tinerino. Dennis first visited dad at our gym I beleave back in 1974 when he was looking for a So Ca gym to train at. He was attending Bible college at the time and heard that dad could help him with that as well as help train him to gain some extra size ans strength.  He and dad became great friends right off and stayed close friends throughout there lives. In the late 80s Dennis worked for us selling and setting up Zuver's Gym Franchises out of our factory in Santa Ana Ca. Dennis had a very successful career as a Bodybuilder as most of you know. He won many titles starting with his first, Mr. Brooklyn in 1964.  He went on to win Mr. America, Mr. Natural Universe, Mr. Universe four times and numerous other titles. He was also inducted into the Muscle Beach Hall of Fame in 2012. To a lot of us in the best part of it was he did it All Natural. No enhancing drugs. Goes to show blood, sweat, and Hard Work can get you there too.  Anyway the question I was asked because I was able to spot for Dennis now and then over the years was what type of routine did Dennis follow with Dad helping him train. This is as close as I can remember after over 40 years of what dad had Dennis do.
                                   Big Bob was helping Dennis train for size and strength.  
      This is how I remember it going.            (HES) Stands for Heavier each set.
On Monday's and Friday's.        (Back, Biceps, and Legs)
1-- Warmup Sit-ups               3 sets.  25 to 50 reps
2-- Squats              6 sets.   15--10--8--6--6--4.  (HES)
3-- Calf Machine.    6 sets.   10 reps
4-- Leg Curls.         4 sets.  12--10--8--6.    (HES)
5-- Dumbbell Curls.  4 sets. 8--7--6--6.   (HES)
6-- Deadlifts.           5sets.  8--7--6--5--5.  (HES)
7-- Leg Curls.          4sets.  12--10--8--6.  (HES)
8-- Dips.                 4 sets.  12
9--A Bob Zuver exclusive.  Strict Curls with Zuver's fixed EZ Curl bars.  He would start with the lightest bar for one rep. Than to the next heaviest fixed bar for one rep then on and on and on till he could not compleat a strict curl with the heaviest fixed bar he could lift. Then without resting dad would have him start over agin from the beginning.  The Biceps would be pumped for hours after that workout. That's why that was the finishing exercise.

On Wednesdays and Saturdays.      (Chest, Triceps, Shoulder's)

1-- Sit-ups           3 sets.  40 reps
2-- Bench Press.   6 sets. 12--10--8--6--4--2       (HES)
3-- Incline Press.  4 sets.  10--8--6--6.       (HES)
4-- Leg Raises.     3 sets.  30 reps
5-- Calf Machine.  6 sets.  12 reps
6-- Lat Machine Pull Downs.  6 sets.  10 reps
7-- Deep Dips.   6 sets.   10 reps.   (With added weight)
8-- Seated Sit-ups    30 reps
9-- To Finnish of the day. The Bob Zuver's Strict Fixed Curl Bar Routine.

With each exercise he would incorporate one set of forced reps. Any more than that would over work the muscle. I'm sure Dennis switched it up a bit now and then over the years as most BBs do. But it worked for Dennis and others at our gym. I'm not sure how that compares to some of the training today but it was ahead of its time back then. All comments and opinions are welcome.
Hope this answered Willies questions also hope you guys enjoyed this thread.
RZ
 PS
The photo at the bottom is of Dennis with a client and Big Bob Zuver and next to Dennis is Bob's wife Jean Zuver at Zuver's Equipment Factory.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: MY MEMORIES OF DENNIS TINERINO. ( BY BOB ZUVER)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
Thanks, Bob!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
Dennis had great genetics for muscle building RIP.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
Thanks Z!  awesome article. I liked Dennis a lot and saw him compete several times back in the day.  As a kid I was always most impressed with this abs.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
I read in the "Legends 3" magazine that he had to consume nearly 10,000 a day, just to get his bodyweight over 180 lb.

You want to talk about a "hardgainer"? There it is!!

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Just another piece of info. Zuver's Gym was the first Gym to have fixed sets of EZCurl Bars on the west coast starting in the early 60s.  They started at 60lbs and went in 10lbs increments all the way to 300lbs. The B&W photos are in the early 1960s and the color shots are in the early1970s. Dennis actually trained with the ones seen in color. They were used for the Bob Zuver Special Curl routine, and done by all that were trained by Big Bob. Wish I still had the compleat set today.
RZ
PS
Notice in the first photo the 280lbs Fixed Curl Bar, there was a 300 pounder that The great Paul Anderson used.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
Thanks Z!  awesome article. I liked Dennis a lot and saw him compete several times back in the day.  As a kid I was always most impressed with this abs.
i was too! great Bodybuilder. great post Bob

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »
Just another shot not often seen of Dennis with Arnold.
Back in there days.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Good stuff..thanks Robert!
H

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:43:26 AM »
I remember seeing him compete at one of the Night of Champions contests in Manhattan. When ever he was on stage and during the announcement of the winners some drunk near the front kept yelling stuff about Dennis. It was in support of Dennis but he was obviously annoyed. When the placements were announced the drunk when ballistic.

After the contest Dennis comes walking out with what I guess were a few friends and family. Who do I see? The drunk loud mouth walking with him. Could it have been a drunk relative?   

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:50:38 AM »
Today markes the three year passing of Dennis Tinerino.
To though's that knew him he will always be missed.
I wish his wife Anita and family my best wishes for there loss.
Anita is a wonderful lady and misses Dennis very much. She
Carries on the work Dennis started and has many friends that care.
RIP My Friend
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
RIP

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »
More