Author Topic: Powerball winner owes $29,000 in child support  (Read 4560 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Powerball winner owes $29,000 in child support
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
Report: N.J. Powerball winner owes $29,000 in child support

Just two days after discovering that he won the fourth-largest Powerball jackpot in the game's history, Pedro Quezada has attracted the attention of the Passaic County Sheriff's Department, which says he owes about $29,000 in unpaid child support, according to reports.

NorthJersey.com reported today that officers stopped by the 44-year-old's apartment this afternoon in connection with a warrant that is several years old.
"Because of Mr. Quezada's large winnings, generally the New Jersey Division of Lottery would satisfy the judgment before all of the winnings are released," Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik said in an e-mail to NorthJersey.com. "Like everyone else, until this warrant is satisfied, Mr. Quezada, is subject to potential arrest."

The Dominican immigrant and father of five claimed his $338 million Powerball jackpot prize Tuesday.
At a press conference Tuesday at the New Jersey lottery headquarters in Lawrenceville, Quezada said he will stop working at his store, Apple Deli Grocery in Passaic. But he was reluctant to speak about past financial difficulties.
However, public records show he purchased a two-family house in Passaic in 2006 for $273,000 that was foreclosed and sold at a Sheriff?s sale three years later.

In addition, Quezada?s small bodega was severely damaged in May 2009 when a fire that started in an alley gutted the store and two upstairs apartments in a three-alarm fire, officials said.
Quezada purchased his winning ticket ? with numbers 17, 29, 31, 52, 53 and Powerball 31 ? at Eagle Liquors in Passaic. His was the only winning ticket in the multistate lottery.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/report_powerball_winner_owes_2.html

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: Powerball winner owes $29,000 in child support
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
It should be taken out of his winnings before any disbursement, much like a lien on a house.

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
It should be taken out of his winnings before any disbursement, much like a lien on a house.

That is why you get a lawyer and work on all that shit before you even think about claiming the money.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
It's usually these types that win the lotto....

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Usually winner needs a translator at the press conference.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
No money to gives his kids. But can buy lotto tickets?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
Only in America.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Big deal, my ex owes me $73k in back child support and purposely doesn't work to avoid paying.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »
I will never believe any story about lottery winners coming from the Hierarchy's media. I know of a family who won the l0tto years ago and they made this family look like they were fukcing saints. 3 out of the 4 "kids" were in jail and the mother was a drug addict. The father hit the lotto and they made him look like he was the #1 dad. lol...It's all bullshit guys. And I'd bet the house this is too.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/03/28/good-news-co-workers-include-florida-woman-who-declined-office-lotto-pool-in-1-million-winnings/

One lucky Florida woman is likely thanking her lucky stars for some super cool co-workers. Even though Jennifer Maldonado told her fellow employees at a realty firm that she didn’t have the cash to participate in an office Lottery pool they were sponsoring, they made a decision that would change her life after they found out they actually won!

Laurie Finkelstein Reader is the employee who headed up the pool, and she told Fox and Friends’ Steve Doocy this morning that when she originally approached Maldonado, who was a new employee at that time, she told her it just wasn’t a “good time” for her to spend money. Laurie and another co-worker offered to lend her the money, but Maldonado declined.

“I didn’t have the money. I mean, I needed the 20 dollars to spend on something else versus the lottery at that time,” she said Thursday morning.

But that didn’t stop Reader and the rest of the team to include her in their winnings once they discovered they’d all be cashing in on $1 million.

“She thought we were doing a ‘new girl prank’ on her when we [first told] her that we’d won..,” Reader said. “That’s how we do everything, she’s a part of our family … we all win together, or we all lose together… I can’t imagine anyone not sharing this type of blessing that we were given.”

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we recently told you about this story from Indiana, where one woman is doing battle in court with her co-workers over a winning ticket.
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/28/kellys-court-debates-indiana-hairdressers-claim-co-worker-cut-them-out-of-9-5-million-lottery-win/

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
I once had a conversation with a wealthy guy on the golf course about the lottery. He told me that he'd never play the lottery that it's a tax on the poor and basically the same stats as being struck by lightning. Well I've played golf with this guy many times and one day it started raining pretty hard with lightning and thunder. As soon as he saw the lightning, he ran to the golf cart and had enough. I said to him, lets just finish the hole and call it a day. He said no fcking way. I don't want to get struck by lightning.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/03/28/good-news-co-workers-include-florida-woman-who-declined-office-lotto-pool-in-1-million-winnings/

One lucky Florida woman is likely thanking her lucky stars for some super cool co-workers. Even though Jennifer Maldonado told her fellow employees at a realty firm that she didn’t have the cash to participate in an office Lottery pool they were sponsoring, they made a decision that would change her life after they found out they actually won!

Laurie Finkelstein Reader is the employee who headed up the pool, and she told Fox and Friends’ Steve Doocy this morning that when she originally approached Maldonado, who was a new employee at that time, she told her it just wasn’t a “good time” for her to spend money. Laurie and another co-worker offered to lend her the money, but Maldonado declined.

“I didn’t have the money. I mean, I needed the 20 dollars to spend on something else versus the lottery at that time,” she said Thursday morning.

But that didn’t stop Reader and the rest of the team to include her in their winnings once they discovered they’d all be cashing in on $1 million.

“She thought we were doing a ‘new girl prank’ on her when we [first told] her that we’d won..,” Reader said. “That’s how we do everything, she’s a part of our family … we all win together, or we all lose together… I can’t imagine anyone not sharing this type of blessing that we were given.”

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we recently told you about this story from Indiana, where one woman is doing battle in court with her co-workers over a winning ticket.
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/28/kellys-court-debates-indiana-hairdressers-claim-co-worker-cut-them-out-of-9-5-million-lottery-win/

The Dominican who owes child support will be broke in 10 years after community and family handouts.

9.5 isn't that much money to split 7 ways.  that's about 4.2 after taxes.  if you spent wisely and invested 1/2 and let the other half sit for interest, you'd come away with an ok house and 100k income for the rest of your life, or spit it and back to work.  i can't blame her.         

SLAYME

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
We will be reading about this Guy in less than 3 years whining about how broke he is....IF you cant pay child support, then you do not have nowhere the mental capacity to handle that kind of responsibility. 

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
26 years in the U.S. and the fucker needed at translator at the acceptance ceremony.

Dollars to donuts this prick is here illegally.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
26 years in the U.S. and the fucker needed at translator at the acceptance ceremony.

Dollars to donuts this prick is here illegally.
I was thinking the same thing.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
We will be reading about this Guy in less than 3 years whining about how broke he is....IF you cant pay child support, then you do not have nowhere the mental capacity to handle that kind of responsibility. 

It might take longer than that.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/03/25/lottery-winner-powerball-sharon-tirabassi/?ncid=txtlnkusdail00000004

How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years

With a $338 million Powerball ticket having been sold in New Jersey -- the fourth-largest jackpot in Powerball history -- it's a good time to remember that the sudden gains of a lottery windfall can be fleeting.

Imagine, for instance, winning $10 million and having almost none of it left less than a decade later.

It happened to Sharon Tirabassi, a 35 year-old resident of Hamilton, Ontario. Nine years ago, The Hamilton Spectator reports, Tirabassi cashed a check from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. for $10,569,00.10 (Canadian). Today, after spending almost all her winnings -- "big house, fancy cars, designer clothes, lavish parties exotic trips, handouts to family, loans to friends" -- she's back in the working class: riding the bus, working part-time, living in a rented house.

What remains of her windfall is in trust for her six children; the money will become available when they turn 26.

"The moment I got it, I divided it among my family," Tirabassi told The Spec: $1 million to her parents, and $1.75 million among her four siblings. She was generous with others, too, buying houses and renting them out at low rates, paying people's rent, offering loans for bail and business ventures.

"All of that other stuff was fun in the beginning, now it's like ... back to life."

That other stuff included vacations in Cancun, Florida, Las Vegas, California, and the Caribbean, as well as four cars: a Hummer, a Mustang, a Dodge Charger and a custom Cadillac Escalade.

Tirabassi was a single mother, recently off welfare and newly employed as a personal care provider, when she struck it rich on Easter Weekend in 2004. As a teenager, she had lived in shelters, and all that money didn't come with instructions. Tirabassi didn't hire a financial adviser; she didn't even keep close track of her account balance. Suddenly, with just $750,000 left, Tirabassi woke up: "that was just time for fun to stop and to just go back to life."

Tirabassi's husband, Vinny, who brought three kids of his own to the marriage, shares her stoicism about the couple's lost fortune. He says he lived simply his whole life and is used to not being rich. Recalling the post-winning entreaties of suddenly interested friends, some of whom came asking for favors and then disappeared, Vinny says, "Money doesn't buy you happiness. It caused her a lot of headaches." His wife had a hard time saying no to those she thought of as in need: "That's the way I was brought up," she says. "Help those who can't help themselves."

For the complete story of the couple's financial descent, head over to The Spec.com, and check out the paper's 2007 interview with Tirabassi, when she had already spent half of her winnings.

Tirabassi's experience stands in contrast to that of Sandra Hayes, who pocketed around $6 million when she and a dozen coworkers split a $224 million Powerball jackpot in 2006. (Watch Hayes tell her story in the video below.)

Like Tirabassi, Hayes went on a spending spree -- including a boat, an Escalade and a Mercedes -- but she also paid off her mortgage and student loans, and was leery about handouts to friends and relatives. Today, Hayes lives comfortably but not extravagantly.

"I love a good deal, I'm on a budget, I save my money," she says. "I try not to live above my means." Her warning to the newly rich: "If you're not disciplined, you'll go broke. I don't care how much money you have."

Hayes sounds as though she might have taken lessons from Six Tips on How to Avoid Squandering a Financial Windfall. For more advice, check out these Powerball winners' lessons on how to hang on to your cash, whether you're a millionaire or just trying to make ends meet.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Report: N.J. Powerball winner owes $29,000 in child support

Just two days after discovering that he won the fourth-largest Powerball jackpot in the game's history, Pedro Quezada has attracted the attention of the Passaic County Sheriff's Department, which says he owes about $29,000 in unpaid child support, according to reports.

NorthJersey.com reported today that officers stopped by the 44-year-old's apartment this afternoon in connection with a warrant that is several years old.
"Because of Mr. Quezada's large winnings, generally the New Jersey Division of Lottery would satisfy the judgment before all of the winnings are released," Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik said in an e-mail to NorthJersey.com. "Like everyone else, until this warrant is satisfied, Mr. Quezada, is subject to potential arrest."

The Dominican immigrant and father of five claimed his $338 million Powerball jackpot prize Tuesday.
At a press conference Tuesday at the New Jersey lottery headquarters in Lawrenceville, Quezada said he will stop working at his store, Apple Deli Grocery in Passaic. But he was reluctant to speak about past financial difficulties.
However, public records show he purchased a two-family house in Passaic in 2006 for $273,000 that was foreclosed and sold at a Sheriff?s sale three years later.

In addition, Quezada?s small bodega was severely damaged in May 2009 when a fire that started in an alley gutted the store and two upstairs apartments in a three-alarm fire, officials said.
Quezada purchased his winning ticket ? with numbers 17, 29, 31, 52, 53 and Powerball 31 ? at Eagle Liquors in Passaic. His was the only winning ticket in the multistate lottery.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/report_powerball_winner_owes_2.html

The Government and the State will take out whatever this guy owes. It's really a none issue. If you're not gonna collect winnings that large hiding behind a trust, why not change your name before you cash it in? And then change it back afterward. At the very least you will cause some confusion for the people that go after information about you.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
  He is going to net how much?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
  He is going to net how much?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57577322-504083/pedro-quezada-n.j-powerball-winner-resolves-$30000-child-support-debt/

(CBS/AP) PATERSON, N.J. - The New Jersey lottery winner accused of having unpaid child support has resolved his debt Monday afternoon.

Pedro Quezada, 44, appeared in state Superior Court in Paterson. Authorities said he owed about $29,000 in back support.

During the court hearing, officials said Quezada paid about $30,000 to settle the debt. The unpaid child support payments went back to 2009, but it's not clear which of Quezada's five children are covered by the payments.

Quezada won the $338 million Powerball jackpot last week and claimed a lump-sum payment last week worth $221 million, or about $152 million after taxes.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
  Thanks. That is still a LOT of money. Damn.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
Broke in 7 years.

THE BEEF

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:58 AM »
That is why you get a lawyer and work on all that shit before you even think about claiming the money.

Really - it's $29k out of $338M - I don't think he need a lawyer to work out anything

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »
Big deal, my ex owes me $73k in back child support and purposely doesn't work to avoid paying.

Your ex wife was black?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:19 AM »
I once had a conversation with a wealthy guy on the golf course about the lottery. He told me that he'd never play the lottery that it's a tax on the poor and basically the same stats as being struck by lightning. Well I've played golf with this guy many times and one day it started raining pretty hard with lightning and thunder. As soon as he saw the lightning, he ran to the golf cart and had enough. I said to him, lets just finish the hole and call it a day. He said no fcking way. I don't want to get struck by lightning.
HA HA HA HA  ;D
V

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 07:26:16 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57577322-504083/pedro-quezada-n.j-powerball-winner-resolves-$30000-child-support-debt/

(CBS/AP) PATERSON, N.J. - The New Jersey lottery winner accused of having unpaid child support has resolved his debt Monday afternoon.
Pedro Quezada, 44, appeared in state Superior Court in Paterson. Authorities said he owed about $29,000 in back support.
During the court hearing, officials said Quezada paid about $30,000 to settle the debt. The unpaid child support payments went back to 2009, but it's not clear which of Quezada's five children are covered by the payments.
Quezada won the $338 million Powerball jackpot last week and claimed a lump-sum payment last week worth $221 million, or about $152 million after taxes.

Every piece of Lotto literature says, take the 26 payments.  He'll fuck that 152M up in 5-10 yrs.