Author Topic: Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg faces a 1 billion dollar tax bill.  (Read 2084 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Jesus  :o  The government are crooks. You can't follow the letter of the law in cases of the super rich. If I were Mark, I would buy my own country and tell the U.S. to go fuck themselves.

Facebook's stock market debut left founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg with a paper fortune currently valued at $13 billion -- and a 2012 tax bill of around $1.1 billion.

Zuckerberg's whopping tax hit stems from his move last May to increase his stake in Facebook. On the day of Facebook's initial public offering, Zuckerberg exercised a stock option and purchased 60 million Facebook shares at a "strike price" of 6 cents each.

Even if those shares are never sold, the IRS treats them as ordinary income at the time the options are exercised. The rationale is that such options are a form of compensation, just like regular wages.

For Zuckerberg, that means reporting income last year of nearly $2.3 billion from his stock options alone. Add together the top 2012 federal tax rate of 35% and the top California rate of 13.3% -- the highest in the nation -- and you get a total tax rate of 48.3%.

That's before factoring in some deductions and any other income Zuckerberg collected last year. Only Uncle Sam and California's tax agency know exactly what's in Zuckerberg's return, but three California CPAs that CNNMoney consulted ran the numbers and believe Zuckerberg's bill for the year will probably exceed $1 billion.

That's really unusual ... even for billionaires.

"With numbers that large, it's usually capital gains, not ordinary income," said Toby Johnston, a partner at tax firm Moss Adams LLP's Silicon Valley office who works with wealthy clients. Investors profiting off their gains paid a significantly lower tax rate last year than Facebook's founder will. The highest federal capital gains rate in 2012 was 15%. It goes up to 23.8% (including a Medicare surtax) this year.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't comment on the returns of individual taxpayers, but each year it releases aggregate data on the 400 U.S. tax filers with the largest reported incomes. The average top earner had income of $202 million and a federal income tax bill of $41 million for 2009, the most recent data available.

A Facebook spokeswoman declined to comment on Zuckerberg's taxes.

To cover the giant bill he knew was coming, Zuckerberg dipped into his trove of Facebook stock. He sold 30.2 million shares during Facebook's IPO, taking in $1.135 billion. At the time, Facebook said in a regulatory filing that Zuckerberg planned to use the "substantial majority" of those proceeds to cover the taxes on his stock-option purchase.

And Zuckerberg has another big tax hit looming: He is still sitting on 60 million unexercised options that expire in late 2015. At Facebook's (FB) current share price, those options would generate taxable income of $1.6 billion if he cashed them in. If he cashed then in today at current tax rates, that would amount to a $826 million bill.

The U.S. Treasury will benefit from Zuckerberg's taxes. So will California, which is getting a windfall as thousands of Facebook employees cash in on stock grants and options. California expects to collect roughly $1.5 billion in tax revenue tied to Facebook's IPO, according to the latest estimate from the state's Legislative Analyst's Office.

So how do you pay a tax bill that's bigger than some nations' entire annual GDP? (We're looking at you, Grenada.)

California requires an electronic payment for all tax bills larger than $80,000, but the IRS will take a paper check for any amount.

Watching a sum that big vanish from your bank account sounds scary, right? The flip side is that at least you can afford it.

"Most people are thrilled, to tell you the truth," said Stan Pollock, a San Francisco area accountant who specializes in handling tax issues for tech workers. "I have had very few clients that get these huge windfalls who have resented paying the tax. They know they got lucky."

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg faces a 1 billion dollar tax bill.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:51 PM »

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
How the fuck can the Government justify getting a billion dollars from one person?  Another example they talked about: Someone made 202 million dollars, and they had to pay 41 million in taxes. Where the fuck is all of this money going?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »
If you ask the poor, it's going to the rich. Ask the rich and it's going to the poor. It's not going to the regular hard working citizen who never uses government 'services' like welfare, jail, free lunch, etc

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
If you ask the poor, it's going to the rich. Ask the rich and it's going to the poor. It's not going to the regular hard working citizen who never uses government 'services' like welfare, jail, free lunch, etc
I agree about the blame game. What about the guy who made 202 million last year? He had to pay 41 million in taxes! That pays for a shit ton of teacher, firefighter, police, etc... from one person!  The rich really do pay their fair share and then some.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »
KOMMIEFORNIA does not deserve any of that money. Going to burn it on retarded libfuck clusterfuck programs once again.
all drugs - TPPIIP

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »
I'm starting to think the government really is a sham. We already know about the "black Budgets" that they don't tell us anything about. What about another secret budget to give top brass more money? Like the president really only makes a few hundred thousand  ::)  We already know about Obama's legendary mega million dollar vacas, funded by taxpayers.  I can add, and with two people, they will get 1,041,000,000. now we have a few billion taxpayers, and quite a few are well off. Where is the money going?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
And people wonder why Eduardo Saverin renounced his U.S. citizenship  ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
How the fuck can the Government justify getting a billion dollars from one person?  Another example they talked about: Someone made 202 million dollars, and they had to pay 41 million in taxes. Where the fuck is all of this money going?

Elitists who don't pay "their fair share" but think everyone else should. And oh, you might get a few pot holes filled.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

Good post...However ask anyone in the middle class(regular hard working citizens) and they will blame both the rich and the poor. The middle class do a lot of good for society...However they are the sole reason really bad politics are allowed to exist in 1st world countrys. They're the ones showing up in the voting booths making retarded mistakes.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
Greedy Zuckerjew needs to just pay his taxes and shut the fuck up.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Jesus  :o  The government are crooks.

I don't even think that is the worst part.  Imagine all the damage the government can do with this billion dollars.

That's the horrible part, these high taxes just enable big fucked up government.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Good post...However ask anyone in the middle class(regular hard working citizens) and they will blame both the rich and the poor. The middle class do a lot of good for society...However they are the sole reason really bad politics are allowed to exist in 1st world countrys. They're the ones showing up in the voting booths making retarded mistakes.

The squeezed middle getting fucked from both sides and doing nothing to help themselves..
O

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
I'm starting to think the government really is a sham. We already know about the "black Budgets" that they don't tell us anything about. What about another secret budget to give top brass more money? Like the president really only makes a few hundred thousand  ::)  We already know about Obama's legendary mega million dollar vacas, funded by taxpayers.  I can add, and with two people, they will get 1,041,000,000. now we have a few billion taxpayers, and quite a few are well off. Where is the money going?
Starting to think?? They are. They never put a lock box on Social Security funds. They dipped into it at regular intervals for funding. Never mind all the people that paid into SSN and died before they could collect a cent. They should stop SSN and give back each cent we paid into it. A bunch of fucking crooks.

This BS with North Korea and Iran is also just a distraction to get people's minds off the fuckup they create. They try to divert attention away from themselves. Useless CLINTS all of them.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
Zuckerberg himself said he could afford to pay a little more in taxes, he`s just getting what he asked for. ;)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
Zuckerberg himself said he could afford to pay a little more in taxes, he`s just getting what he asked for. ;)

Hi Obama! Please dont have me killed.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
I wish I had that kind of tax bill. We would be having some serious Getbig parties at the O in Vegas on me.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »

Did you calculate the amount of money he would have if he ever sold them?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »

Did you calculate the amount of money he would have if he ever sold them?

did you ever calculate how many men in thong photos you have archived on your hard-drive?

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »
I read this as "Mark Zuckerberg's face to be on one billion dollar bill."

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »
its very important those billion bucks are needed to fund development of a disposable winglet or some cannon or to be 'lost' without a trace in kabul  baghdad or any other 3rd world hell hole