Author Topic: Andre the Giant - Feat of Strength  (Read 27528 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Andre the Giant - Feat of Strength
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Andre the Giant - Feat of Strength
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »
I love classic footage!

Many of Andre's stats were exaggerated, but so are most guys'.
We'd laugh our asses off in the late 80's when Hogan would talk about Andre in promos. Every time Hulk recalled slamming and beating him at WMIII, Andre was bigger and heavier each time.

Hogan would have made a great fisherman.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39:48 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
I know they say most of andre's stats were exaggerated, but I saw him live fairly close up several times in toronto in 89 (against Warrior) and he was massive. sig. taller than the rest of the guys too, even if he wasn't actually 7 foot 4

I met Hulk at Tampa airport in 1990 and he was super tall too, but had cowboy boots on at the time lol
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14:02 PM »
I know they say most of andre's stats were exaggerated, but I saw him live fairly close up several times in toronto in 89 (against Warrior) and he was massive. sig. taller than the rest of the guys too, even if he wasn't actually 7 foot 4

I met Hulk at Tampa airport in 1990 and he was super tall too, but had cowboy boots on at the time lol

Trademark snakeskin cowboy boots with red tights in public.  ;D

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
I want to know what kind of metal that is that weights 2,000 pounds, yet isn't much bigger than a basketball.

Awesome clip!!

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
Pah but does he know ground game?Id just take him to the ground and sort him out!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
andre died in 1993 . he could tuern a car over . with people inside . and he bodyslammed big john studd . eventhough bodyslam is helped a bit . he never trained with weights . but had great size .

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
There is a story about Andre getting pissed at someone and slamming his fist down on a solid oak bar and breaking it in 2.

Guy was ridiculously big and strong.

Paul Wight is also ridiculously huge... I shook his hand and my hand was a little baby hand in his. I can only believe that Andre would have been the same.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
andre died in 1993 . he could tuern a car over . with people inside . and he bodyslammed big john studd . eventhough bodyslam is helped a bit . he never trained with weights . but had great size .

And, most of the time, the guy was totally tanked. According to stories, Andre was loaded (his usual state) when he overturned that car outside a bar. Imagine what he could have done with training and focus, or even just sober!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

And, most of the time, the guy was totally tanked. According to stories, Andre was loaded (his usual state) when he overturned that car outside a bar. Imagine what he could have done with training and focus, or even just sober!
I didnt know he was a drinker interesting, what was his win/loss record all time do you know?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
I didnt know he was a drinker interesting, what was his win/loss record all time do you know?

Oh yeah, he was a BIG drinker. Watch the documentary above when you have time. At the 33:00 mark, Vince tells the story of when Andre had his back surgery and the anesthesiologist couldn't figure out how much anesthesia to give him, so they equated it to how much booze it took Andre to "feel."

The whole documentary was well-done and at 37:45, you'll see footage of his ranch and cattle he raised.

As for the win/loss record, I'm honestly not sure. As with most things in pro-wrestling, it is probably greatly exaggerated and depends on who you ask. For instance, Vince billed Wrestle Mania III as Andre & Hogan's first encounter, while the two actually met years earlier at the big Shea Stadium event. WWF also hails Hulkster as the first to slam Andre, but others like Stan Hansen and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar performed the feat prior. Hogan, however, probably slammed Andre when he was at his heaviest body weight and even tore a lat in the process.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »

Oh yeah, he was a BIG drinker. Watch the documentary above when you have time. At the 33:00 mark, Vince tells the story of when Andre had his back surgery and the anesthesiologist couldn't figure out how much anesthesia to give him, so they equated it to how much booze it took Andre to "feel."

The whole documentary was well-done and at 37:45, you'll see footage of his ranch and cattle he raised.

As for the win/loss record, I'm honestly not sure. As with most things in pro-wrestling, it is probably greatly exaggerated and depends on who you ask. For instance, Vince billed Wrestle Mania III as Andre & Hogan's first encounter, while the two actually met years earlier at the big Shea Stadium event. WWF also hails Hulkster as the first to slam Andre, but others like Stan Hansen and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar performed the feat prior. Hogan, however, probably slammed Andre when he was at his heaviest body weight and even tore a lat in the process.
I'll check it out. I didnt know he had ever been slammed. Of course as you know with wrestling he probably jumped a bit gave them momentum but even at that a strong feat.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
I'll check it out. I didnt know he had ever been slammed. Of course as you know with wrestling he probably jumped a bit gave them momentum but even at that a strong feat.

Yeah, it was a basic scoop-up bodyslam. Andre lifted his feet and posted with his right arm off of Hogan's thigh providing the assist. Even so, Andre was a very large and heavy person, and not in the best of shape at the time of that match. Hogan did have his work cut out for him, and is lucky he didn't have to pick up his balls off the ring mat afterwards.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »

A great video, I have been to Ellerbe NC before a small rural town. A great Gentle Giant he was just imagine the hell he went through everything had be special made for his size.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
A great video, I have been to Ellerbe NC before a small rural town. A great Gentle Giant he was just imagine the hell he went through everything had be special made for his size.

It's said that guests to Andre's house would often have to use two hands to turn the faucet handles. Most of that house was customized for Andre.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 10:30:37 AM »
Did Black Jack Mulligan ever put the claw hold on Andre? He had a large head I cant recall..

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
yes he did i saw picture of this .

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »
Hogan tells great Andre stories. On some video he tells about Andre throwing beer cans at his head while he was driving. Very funny. Andre might not have been 7'4 but he was close.  My dad was 6'2.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 05:43:06 AM »
Hogan tells great Andre stories. On some video he tells about Andre throwing beer cans at his head while he was driving. Very funny. Andre might not have been 7'4 but he was close.  My dad was 6'2.

Didn't they say Andre lost a few inches of height after his back surgery? Between that and the old afro, he may have been 8 ft at one time! ;D

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
in thwe last years he was grumpy and agressive not always nice . he was walking with crutches in 1992 .

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
in thwe last years he was grumpy and agressive not always nice . he was walking with crutches in 1992 .

Yes, and even when he had the chance for a little privacy, he would usually turn it down. That goes back to something Vince McMahon Sr. told him many years before: "You have GOT to be the 'biggest man in the world.' You have to be seen in public. You need people to see and talk about you."

Many wrestlers had memberships to the VIP sections at various airports to escape annoying fans, but Andre alway remained in the open. The public got to him, though.

One thing he allegedly loved to do was fart in elevators. If there was an old lady present, he'd scowl at her to "stop it." ;D
He'd also often shit in bathtubs while visiting Japan because their hotel toilets were too small for him to use.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »

Yes, and even when he had the chance for a little privacy, he would usually turn it down. That goes back to something Vince McMahon Sr. told him many years before: "You have GOT to be the 'biggest man in the world.' You have to be seen in public. You need people to see and talk about you."

Many wrestlers had memberships to the VIP sections at various airports to escape annoying fans, but Andre alway remained in the open. The public got to him, though.

One thing he allegedly loved to do was fart in elevators. If there was an old lady present, he'd scowl at her to "stop it." ;D
He'd also often shit in bathtubs while visiting Japan because their hotel toilets were too small for him to use.
LOL. Wonder how Andre slept on a bed there, probably didn't maybe on the floor.