Author Topic: Pipers' Pit  (Read 4921 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Pipers' Pit
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:12 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Pipers' Pit
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
What?  No Snuka with the coconut upside his head?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
The original Piper's Pit was very entertaining and won Piper many fans ala Superstar Billy Graham. You loved him despite the despicable character. I remember when he and Orton shaved the Haiti Kid's head. His segment with Bruno was also excellent. The beauty of Piper's Pit is that he got himself as well as his guests over.

My fondness of the Piper character peaked during his program with Adrian Adonis. Once he came back, it seemed like he altered the character to be more in line with the little kid demographic that WWF was targeting more and more by the end of the 80's.

To me, that was not Rowdy Roddy Piper anymore. He'd seemingly become a cheesy caricature of himself.

I felt a similar way about Randy Savage.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
The biggest tragedy in wrestling is that Greg Valentine was never a Horsemen.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
The biggest tragedy in wrestling is that Greg Valentine was never a Horsemen, yet Steve McMichael was.

Fixed that for ya.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

Good point, baby.

I complained when Benoit became a Horsemen.  My quotes was "he can't be a Horsemen, he doesn't have all his teeth."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
Good point, baby.

I complained when Benoit became a Horsemen.  My quotes was "he can't be a Horsemen, he doesn't have all his teeth."

And he failed the height requirement! ;D
He was a Hobbit, not a Horseman.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
Mongo's inclusion as a Horseman was ridiculous, it made absolutely no sense then and it makes even less now looking back at it. I think the Horsemen angle was overcooked in the same way that the NWO angle was eventually, its like the addition of Crush to Demolition.

If youre gonna change the lineup THAT many times, or even at all, find a new name for the stable and push them based on their own merits.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
worst Piper moment was the WM where he "debated" Morton Downey Jr and sprayed him with a fire extinguisher for blowing smoke into his face   ::)

at one point you could hear someone yell, "This is STUPID!!!"

That segment was entirely too drawn out. Prichard probably had a wood over the chance to share the stage with Piper; I get the impression he was a Hot Rod mark back in the day.

I remember hearing that Morton Downey Jr. was allegedly jumped and beaten by a gang of guys shortly after WMV. Maybe they'd bought tickets to that show. ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:04 AM »
Piper as a heel in mid-atlantic was classic.  He was a total heel that nobody liked. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
Mongo's inclusion as a Horseman was ridiculous, it made absolutely no sense then and it makes even less now looking back at it. I think the Horsemen angle was overcooked in the same way that the NWO angle was eventually, its like the addition of Crush to Demolition.

If youre gonna change the lineup THAT many times, or even at all, find a new name for the stable and push them based on their own merits.

Exactly.
I suspect there are different reasons behind the various instances of this kind of thing, but in Mongo's case, I believe the Horsemen gig was due to Bischoff being a total mark for him; which is how Steve wound up in WCW to begin with.

It's also how Mark Madden joined the broadcast team - because of Eric's blind, fanboy-like devotion to him.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
Any idea why Kevin Greene joined WCW? I always assumed it was because he was a real life friend of Goldberg and a big name in football (im from the UK so i dont really know him). From what i remember of that angle it was just horrible, very predictable and poorly executed.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
Any idea why Kevin Greene joined WCW? I always assumed it was because he was a real life friend of Goldberg and a big name in football (im from the UK so i dont really know him). From what i remember of that angle it was just horrible, very predictable and poorly executed.

Greene was hot off the heels of a Superbowl win with the Steelers a year or so prior. I think it was just another celebrity-gimmick angle. WCW was known to blow money that way rather than improving what they already had to work with.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »

From what I know he was a HUGE Flair mark. He even used Flair's strut after sacks when he was with the Panthers.  He became friends with some of the wrestlers while living in Charlotte.  And you are right the wholq angle was awful.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:07:46 AM »

Exactly.
I suspect there are different reasons behind the various instances of this kind of thing, but in Mongo's case, I believe the Horsemen gig was due to Bischoff being a total mark for him; which is how Steve wound up in WCW to begin with.

It's also how Mark Madden joined the broadcast team - because of Eric's blind, fanboy-like devotion to him.

That was absolutely the worst incarnation of Horseman. As bad as Mongo sucked supposedly he was well liked, respected by many as he himself also respected the business....ahh

Not sure which was worse, Mongo or Arquette as Champ