Author Topic: City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They can't swim  (Read 705 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They can't swim
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim (Phoenix, AZ)
 Judicial Watch ^ | April 3, 2013

Posted on Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:04:06 PM

In a staggering case of affirmative action gone wild, officials in a major U.S. city are actually recruiting minorities to be lifeguards at public pools even if they’re not good swimmers. It’s all in the name of diversity.

You can’t make this stuff up. It’s a real-life story out of Phoenix, the capitol of Arizona and the nation’s sixth-largest city. It has more than 1.4 million residents and, among its official mottos is “value and respect” of diversity. This means “more than gender and race,” according to the city’s official website. It also encompasses “uniqueness and individuality” and embracing differences. “We put this belief into action to provide effective services to our diverse community.”

Evidently officials are willing to compromise those “effective services” at 29 public swimming pools spread throughout the city. To diversify the lifeguard force, Phoenix will spend thousands of dollars to recruit minorities even if they’re not strong swimmers, according to an official quoted in a news report. Blacks, Latinos and Asians who may not necessarily qualify can still get hired, says the city official who adds that “we will work with you in your swimming abilities.”

There’s a good reason the city is hiring lifeguards that can’t swim. Public pools are largely used by Latino and African-American kids, but most of the lifeguards are white and this creates a huge problem. “The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white and we don’t like that,” says a Phoenix official quoted in the story. She added that “the kids don’t relate; there’s language issues.”

How did it ever come to this? Competitive swimming is a sport dominated by whites. In fact, studies have found that blacks and Hispanics have lower swimming proficiency compared to whites. In Phoenix public pool lifeguards have traditionally come from “more affluent parts of town” where schools have swim teams. That means virtually no minorities, so the city launched this special program to recruit some.

Though this is a local effort in one city, it’s also part of a national trend to boost the minority workforce at whatever cost. Under President Obama we have seen a lot of this at the federal level through a variety of specially-designed government programs that give ethnic minorities special treatment at all federal agencies as well as medical and agricultural fields, among others.

Earlier this year the administration made history by hiring the government’s first “Chief Officer for Scientific Workforce Diversity” to mastermind a multi-million-dollar effort that boosts the number of minorities in biomedical research and slashes discrimination in the federal grant process. The effort was initially launched last year after a government-sanctioned study uncovered a “disturbing and disheartening” lack of racial diversity in the field.

Before that the administration created a new office help build a “diverse and inclusive workforce” at all federal agencies and Obama appointed a “Diversity Czar” at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to help advance the goal of greater inclusion and diversity in government programs. Who could forget the race and gender employment quotas required at private financial institutions under Obama’s financial reform measure (known as the Dodd-Frank bill) to overhaul Wall Street? It’s all in the name of diversity.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Why did you lie in the title of this thread

I've never seen a person who claimed to be a lawyer who is so sloppy with the written word

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
Why did you lie in the title of this thread

I've never seen a person who claimed to be a lawyer who is so sloppy with the written word

Did you read the article?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
look at 333386 source, what would you expect  :D

After noticing that most of the lifeguards at the public pools used by Latino and African-American kids were white, the city decided to try to recruit minorities. It has raised about $15,000 to offset certification costs, and pool staff will work with recruits on swimming skills.

Related Links
Making Summer Jobs Work For Teens
After noticing that most of the lifeguards at the public pools used by Latino and African-American kids were white, the Phoenix aquatics department decided to try to recruit minorities.

More than 90 percent of the students at Alhambra High are black, Latino or Asian. On a recruiting effort there over the winter, the city's Melissa Boyle tells students she's not looking for strong swimmers. Like many under-resourced schools, Alhambra doesn't have a swim team.

"We will work with you in your swimming abilities," Boyle says.

Boyle's colleague Kelly Martinez takes on the delicate task of explaining the scenario the city is trying to correct.

"The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white," she says, "and we don't like that. The kids don't relate; there's language issues."

Martinez turns to a Latina student next to her. "Do you speak Spanish?" she asks. "We need more lifeguards who can speak Spanish."

Competitive swimming still has a reputation as a white sport. And a national study released in 2010 found African-Americans and Latinos reported much lower swimming proficiency compared to whites.

"It's that catch-22," says Becky Hulett, who oversees Phoenix's public pools. "If the kids don't learn how to swim, as adults they are not going to swim, [and] they aren't going to take their own kids to swim."

So two years ago, Hulett began rethinking lifeguard recruitment. Traditionally, Phoenix's 500 lifeguards came from more affluent parts of town, most of which are farther from the public pools.

"It really populated from schools that had swim teams, and so that was our feeder into our lifeguarding programs," she says.

To help diversify its lifeguard ranks, the city raised about $15,000 over the past two years in scholarships to offset the cost of lifeguard-certification courses. Recruits who pass a swim test at the end can apply to be city lifeguards.

As the teens swim laps at Alhambra, it's clear many haven't had much formal training. But the coaches of the course aren't fazed and are prepared to put in the time to teach.

"Honestly, I have a little bit a fear of the water, and I wanted to overcome that fear," says high school junior Jesus Jimenez. He didn't grow up going to pools with his family but likes the idea of lifeguarding.

"It is nice to have the satisfaction of knowing that if somebody is in trouble you can save them at any time," he says.

If he is selected to be a lifeguard, other pool staff will work with him on his swimming skills all summer.

This report story was done in collaboration with Fronteras, a public radio project that focuses on border and changing demographics in the American Southwest.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
Did you read the article?

yep, they said they weren't strong swimmers and they would work to make them better swimmers

that was said a few times and then the author made the leap to "they can't swim"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
yep, they said they weren't strong swimmers and they would work to make them better swimmers

that was said a few times and then the author made the leap to "they can't swim"

The title if from Judicial Watch not me. 

If i were black - I would rather be saved by a honkey lifeguard who can swim than a brotha on his cell phone talking to his girl supposed to be watching the pool. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
The title if from Judicial Watch not me. 

If i were black - I would rather be saved by a honkey lifeguard who can swim than a brotha on his cell phone talking to his girl supposed to be watching the pool. 

fair enough

you copy and pasted what appears to be a lie

if you were drowning I doubt you would care what color the person who saved you was

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
the problem is your source

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
fair enough

you copy and pasted what appears to be a lie

if you were drowning I doubt you would care what color the person who saved you was

I used to be a lifeguard and am a very good swimmer.  Used to be on a swim team as a kid.   Boring job but paid well 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They can't swim
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Im white and not a strong swimmer but I went to a black school.
A

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

I can understand teaching someone how to do a job, like a training partner or whatever, I'm jus not so sure it should be something like this, where so much could be on the line. Too many variables here, and reaching to get everyone/race involved. After reading the article, it's not as ominous as the thread title sounds, but when did America become so PC, that we argue over shit as petty as this. I'm talking both sides. One side cries racism and wants to fill numbers, the other side cries reverse racism and wants them all sent away.

Sorry, that got off topic, but I have no problem with trying to help someone learn a skill, but not if it is just to "even" out some sort of racial checklist.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They can't swim
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
This is unbelievable...

You sure this isn't an April Fools Day joke?

???