Author Topic: Federal judge rules morning-after pill must be available for women of all ages  (Read 16084 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Bad decision.  Crazy that a 13-year-old girl could buy this suff over the counter without her parents knowledge or consent. 

Federal judge rules morning-after pill must be available for women of all ages
Published April 05, 2013
FoxNews.com

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill known as Plan B must be made available over the counter for women of all ages.

The decision on the controversial subject comes after lengthy legal battles over who should have access to the pill and at what age. The Justice Department did not say definitively whether it would appeal, but released a statement saying: "The Department of Justice is reviewing the appellate options and expects to act promptly."

The Food and Drug Administration had initially decided to allow the emergency pill to be available for young teens. But Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius overruled the FDA in late 2011, and the agency limited availability without a prescription to women 17 and older. 

The decision Friday by U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ordered the FDA to make the pill, commonly referred to as the abortion pill, available for all ages. The decision means that unless the FDA appeals and is granted a stay, by this time next month a teenager 16 or under could walk into a local pharmacy and buy the pill off the shelf.

Korman accused the FDA of "intolerable delays" in reviewing a petition seeking broad access to the drug, likening the process to an "administrative agency filibuster."

"The plaintiffs should not be forced to endure, nor should the agency's misconduct be rewarded by, an exercise that permits the FDA to engage in further delays and obstruction," he wrote.

The FDA declined to comment on the ruling, describing it as an "ongoing legal matter."

Pill manufacturer Teva said it is "currently reviewing" the decision. "We have no additional comment at this time," the company said.

The judge ordered the change to be completed in a month. The opinion is sure to rile conservatives and other pro-life groups, who consider the morning-after pill -- in some cases -- to act as an abortion-inducing drug.

"This ruling places the health of young girls at risk," said Anna Higgins of the Family Research Council. "There is a real danger that Plan B may be given to young girls, under coercion or without their consent. The involvement of parents and medical professionals act as a safeguard for these young girls. However, today's ruling removes these commonsense protections."

The case started in 2005, and Korman initially ruled in 2009 that 17 year-olds should have over-the-counter access. The FDA then moved to allow that access to all ages, until Sebelius stepped in.

Korman wrote in his opinion that "the FDA bowed to political pressure emanating from the White House."

The Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed suit against the age restriction, and other groups have argued that contraceptives are being held to a different and non-scientific standard than other drugs and that politics has played a role in decision-making.

"I think this is a landmark decision in terms of providing women and girls in the United States access to a safe and effective form of birth control," said attorney Andrea Costello with the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund.

The morning-after pill contains a higher dose of the female progestin hormone that is in regular birth control pills. Taking it within 72 hours of rape, condom failure or just forgetting regular contraception can cut the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent. But it works best within the first 24 hours.

If a woman already is pregnant, the pill has no effect. It prevents ovulation or fertilization of an egg. According to the medical definition, pregnancy doesn't begin until a fertilized egg implants itself into the wall of the uterus. Still, some critics say Plan B is the equivalent of an abortion pill because it may also be able to prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus, a contention that scientists -- and Korman, in his ruling -- said has been discredited.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/05/federal-judge-rules-morning-after-abortion-pill-must-be-available-for-women-all/

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Bad decision.  Crazy that a 13-year-old girl could buy this suff over the counter without her parents knowledge or consent. 

Published April 05, 2013
FoxNews.com

A federal judge ruled Friday that the morning-after pill known as Plan B must be made available over the counter for women of all ages.

The decision on the controversial subject comes after lengthy legal battles over who should have access to the pill and at what age. The Justice Department did not say definitively whether it would appeal, but released a statement saying: "The Department of Justice is reviewing the appellate options and expects to act promptly."

The Food and Drug Administration had initially decided to allow the emergency pill to be available for young teens. But Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius overruled the FDA in late 2011, and the agency limited availability without a prescription to women 17 and older. 

The decision Friday by U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ordered the FDA to make the pill, commonly referred to as the abortion pill, available for all ages. The decision means that unless the FDA appeals and is granted a stay, by this time next month a teenager 16 or under could walk into a local pharmacy and buy the pill off the shelf.

Korman accused the FDA of "intolerable delays" in reviewing a petition seeking broad access to the drug, likening the process to an "administrative agency filibuster."

"The plaintiffs should not be forced to endure, nor should the agency's misconduct be rewarded by, an exercise that permits the FDA to engage in further delays and obstruction," he wrote.

The FDA declined to comment on the ruling, describing it as an "ongoing legal matter."

Pill manufacturer Teva said it is "currently reviewing" the decision. "We have no additional comment at this time," the company said.

The judge ordered the change to be completed in a month. The opinion is sure to rile conservatives and other pro-life groups, who consider the morning-after pill -- in some cases -- to act as an abortion-inducing drug.

"This ruling places the health of young girls at risk," said Anna Higgins of the Family Research Council. "There is a real danger that Plan B may be given to young girls, under coercion or without their consent. The involvement of parents and medical professionals act as a safeguard for these young girls. However, today's ruling removes these commonsense protections."

The case started in 2005, and Korman initially ruled in 2009 that 17 year-olds should have over-the-counter access. The FDA then moved to allow that access to all ages, until Sebelius stepped in.

Korman wrote in his opinion that "the FDA bowed to political pressure emanating from the White House."

The Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed suit against the age restriction, and other groups have argued that contraceptives are being held to a different and non-scientific standard than other drugs and that politics has played a role in decision-making.

"I think this is a landmark decision in terms of providing women and girls in the United States access to a safe and effective form of birth control," said attorney Andrea Costello with the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund.

The morning-after pill contains a higher dose of the female progestin hormone that is in regular birth control pills. Taking it within 72 hours of rape, condom failure or just forgetting regular contraception can cut the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent. But it works best within the first 24 hours.

If a woman already is pregnant, the pill has no effect. It prevents ovulation or fertilization of an egg. According to the medical definition, pregnancy doesn't begin until a fertilized egg implants itself into the wall of the uterus. Still, some critics say Plan B is the equivalent of an abortion pill because it may also be able to prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus, a contention that scientists -- and Korman, in his ruling -- said has been discredited.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/05/federal-judge-rules-morning-after-abortion-pill-must-be-available-for-women-all/

Why do you think thats crazy BB?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
I think that ship has sailed.  Abortion on demand is the new normal.  Women have drawn a line in the sand on that issue. 

Since we have decided to legalize this stuff I don't see any reason to put obstacles in place for young girls that need it.  I also don't like the idea of some asshole pharmacist flexing nuts and giving a girl grief about buying it.  The situation is hard enough as it is.  Young kids aren't going to quit screwing each other.  So fucking be it.

I believe that abortion is wrong in almost all situations but I'm willing to concede this issue to liberals.  You have to choose the hill you want to die on.  For me that's economic and foreign policy, not stuff like this.  It's just another example of the insane world we live in.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why do you think thats crazy BB?

Because a 13-year-old girl should not be able to purchase this kind of medication without her parents' knowledge and consent.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I think that ship has sailed.  Abortion on demand is the new normal.  Women have drawn a line in the sand on that issue. 

Since we have decided to legalize this stuff I don't see any reason to put obstacles in place for young girls that need it.  I also don't like the idea of some asshole pharmacist flexing nuts and giving a girl grief about buying it.  The situation is hard enough as it is.  Young kids aren't going to quit screwing each other.  So fucking be it.

I believe that abortion is wrong in almost all situations but I'm willing to concede this issue to liberals.  You have to choose the hill you want to die on.  For me that's economic and foreign policy, not stuff like this.  It's just another example of the insane world we live in.

Not really settled.  State legislatures are passing laws all the time imposing various restrictions on abortion. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
thank god.
about time.
enough with all these unwanted pregnancies.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

This is not an abortion pill

It prevents conception

btw - abortion has been been legal (on demand within certain limits) for ~ 40 years

The good news is that you're free to choose to not get one if that is your personal preference

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Not really settled.  State legislatures are passing laws all the time imposing various restrictions on abortion. 

That pretty much the only thing state legislatures are doing and they are just ensuring their states will incur massive legal costs to unsuccessfully defend their laws when challenged

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
This is not an abortion pill

It prevents conception

btw - abortion has been been legal (on demand within certain limits) for ~ 40 years

The good news is that you're free to choose to not get one if that is your personal preference
a did you read what I wrote?  My overall point was that since our society has decided to make this kind of thing legal that we should let women buy the pills without some asshole gatekeeper giving them a hard time.  I also acknowledged that even though I don't agree with it I'm not out to force other people not to do it.  I think fighting that battle and trying to pass laws to reverse this kind of stuff is a waste of time.  The majority wants it.  So fucking be it.  

Also, I understand this pill is not an "abortion pill"  I took for granted that people understood that so I didn't feel I had to spell it out.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Ni66a did you read what I wrote?  My overall point was that since our society has decided to make this kind of thing legal that we should let women buy the pills without some asshole gatekeeper giving them a hard time.  I also acknowledged that even though I don't agree with it I'm not out to force other people not to do it.  I think fighting that battle and trying to pass laws to reverse this kind of stuff is a waste of time.  The majority wants it.  So fucking be it.  

Also, I understand this pill is not an "abortion pill"  I took for granted that people understood that so I didn't feel I had to spell it out.

Abortion "on demand" is nothing new and it wasn't granted by "the majority" at the time nor is that how we decide civil rights

Even though you took it for granted that the morning after pill is not an abortion pill I PROMISE you that there are people on this board who refuse to believe that which is why I mentioned it

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Abortion "on demand" is nothing new and it wasn't granted by "the majority" at the time nor is that how we decide civil rights

Even though you took it for granted that the morning after pill is not an abortion pill I PROMISE you that there are people on this board who refuse to believe that which is why I mentioned it

Dude,

Killing children while they are in the womb is not a fucking civil right.  While they're are instances where I understand it and support it (rape, etc.) the majority of abortions are performed because the pregnancy is inconvenient.  Young people don't want kids but they don't want to stop screwing either.  They could have the kid and give it up for adoption, they just don't want to.  I was one of those horny teens so I'm not judging, it's just a reality.  The only reason I mentioned "the majority" was to illustrate that it's a losing issue for pro-lifers.  They don't have the groundswell of public support they would need to overturn it.  There are bigger fish to fry right now and it's time for non liberals to face reality.  Just my opinion.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Dude,

Killing children while they are in the womb is not a fucking civil right.  While they're are instances where I understand it and support it (rape, etc.) the majority of abortions are performed because the pregnancy is inconvenient.  Young people don't want kids but they don't want to stop screwing either.  They could have the kid and give it up for adoption, they just don't want to.  I was one of those horny teens so I'm not judging, it's just a reality.  The only reason I mentioned "the majority" was to illustrate that it's a losing issue for pro-lifers.  They don't have the groundswell of public support they would need to overturn it.  There are bigger fish to fry right now and it's time for non liberals to face reality.  Just my opinion.

everyone I know is against killing children

do you know anyone who is for it?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
everyone I know is against killing children

do you know anyone who is for it?

People say they are against killing children but talk is cheap.  They rationalize it by pretending that it's not a human being yet.  Hey but don't let me stop you people.  Chop them up and suck them out.  Who gives a shit.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
People say they are against killing children but talk is cheap.  They rationalize it by pretending that it's not a human being yet.  Hey but don't let me stop you people.  Chop them up and suck them out.  Who gives a shit.     

so you're saying you know people who are in favor of killing children?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
so you're saying you know people who are in favor of killing children?

I can't tell if you just don't understand english or if you are attempting some kind of liberal asshat trickery. 

Either way, go back to my last post and you'll have your answer. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I can't tell if you just don't understand english or if you are attempting some kind of liberal asshat trickery. 

Either way, go back to my last post and you'll have your answer. 

you could have just typed "yes"

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
you could have just typed "yes"

But I didn't

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

But she cant buy a 20 oz soda.

Published April 05, 2013
FoxNews.com

Necrosis

• Getbig V

are eggs chickens? cus a baby is not a human until the third trimester.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
are eggs chickens? cus a baby is not a human until the third trimester.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
But I didn't

so I guess the answer is no

so let's review

you don't know anyone in favor of killing children and you know that the morning after pill is contraception and not an abortion pill

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. 

I value you the living over the potentially living, so I don;t really tell myself anything.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Morning after pill and late term abortions are two different creature.  The world might be better off if a few more irresponsible uneducated fools used the morning after pill instead of bringing a child into this world.  Certainly the cost burden on the system would diminish considerably.
A

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Life begins at erection

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Morning after pill and late term abortions are two different creature.  The world might be better off if a few more irresponsible uneducated fools used the morning after pill instead of bringing a child into this world.  Certainly the cost burden on the system would diminish considerably.

This