Author Topic: Obamacare architect Rockefeller:Its 'beyond comprehension & Will only get worse'  (Read 332 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Obamacare architect Rockefeller: It's 'beyond comprehension'

April 9, 2013 | 4:22 pm

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obamacare-architect-rockefeller-its-beyond-comprehension/article/2526681

West Virginia Democratic Sen. Jay Rockefeller, one of the towering architects of Obamacare, on Tuesday openly criticized program managers for not moving quickly enough to build the system, warning that if it gets off to a bumpy start it will just get worse.

Decrying the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as way too complex, he warned the acting Medicare director that Obamacare is "so complicated and if it isn't done right the first time, it will just simply get worse."

The retiring senator also told Marilyn Tavenner at her Senate Finance Committee confirmation hearing to be administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services that Obamacare rivals tax reform in its capacity to confuse Americans.

"I believe that the Affordable Care Act is probably the most complex piece of legislation ever passed by the United States Congress. Tax reform obviously has been huge too, but up to this point it is just beyond comprehension," said Rockefeller.

Republican Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina also hit Obamacare, questioning predictions that it will save money. He cited a recent analysis that insurers will face an average 30 percent increase in payouts for those covered by Obamacare, which could then be passed on to those insured outside of Obamacare.

But Tavenner suggested that other elements of Obamacare will "mitigate insurance increases," though she conceded that not all of the projected higher costs will be absorbed by those elements.

Despite the outcry over Obamacare, Tavenner received bipartisan praise and Obama officials said they expect her to win Senate confirmation, making her the first administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services since 2006. As a show of bipartisan support for the former Virginia top health official, she was introduced by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Sens. Tim Kaine and Mark Warner.

Another sign of her likely confirmation: During the 20 minutes of the hearing for the woman who will oversee Obamacare, there wasn't a single Republican senator in the committee room.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Politics
April 09, 2013

Sebelius: ObamaCare More Complicated Than Anticipated

Fire it up

AP

Sebelius: Certain stubborn states are making the ObamaCare rollout more tricky than we anticipated

by Erika Johnsen

At an event on Monday night, HHS Secretary Sebelius acknowledged some of the messiness of the ongoing ObamaCare implementation, but of course had at least one readily available excuse as to why the administration is so very unreasonably put-upon at the moment:

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Monday that she did not anticipate how complicated implementing the president’s signature healthcare law would be.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/obamacare/2013/04/09/sebelius-obamacare-more-complicated-anticipated#ixzz2Q1n4fZYu

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Comply, or be fined you fuckers

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Comply, or be fined you fuckers

The cult of Otwink still sucks his cock.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Baucus warns of 'huge train wreck' enacting ObamaCare provisions

By Sam Baker - 04/17/13 12:33 PM ET

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) said Wednesday he fears a "train wreck" as the Obama administration implements its signature healthcare law.

Baucus, the chairman of the chamber's powerful Finance Committee and a key architect of the healthcare reform law, said he fears people do not understand how the law will work.

"I just see a huge train wreck coming down," he told Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at a Wednesday hearing. "You and I have discussed this many times, and I don't see any results yet."

Baucus pressed Sebelius for details about how the Health Department will explain the law and raise awareness of its provisions, which are supposed to take effect in just a matter of months.

"I'm very concerned that not enough is being done so far — very concerned," Baucus said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from The Hill:
 ♦ CISPA amendment could address privacy concerns
 ♦ Unsolved 2003 ricin attacks targeted fed trucking regs
 ♦ Manchin, Toomey: Background check bill may fall short
 ♦ Rand Paul considering White House bid
 ♦ Court papers: Sanford had 'pattern' of entering ex-wife's home
 ♦ Sens. Grassley, Cruz roll out alternative gun bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He pressed Sebelius to explain how her department will overcome entrenched misunderstandings about what the healthcare law does.

"Small businesses have no idea what to do, what to expect," Baucus said.

Citing anecdotal evidence from small businesses in his home state, Baucus asked Sebelius for specifics about how it is measuring public understanding of the law.

"You need data. Do you have any data? You've never given me data. You only give me concepts, frankly," he said.

Sebelius said in response that the administration is not independently monitoring public awareness of specific provisions but will be embarking on an education campaign beginning this summer.

Baucus is facing a competitive reelection fight next year, and Republicans are sure to attack him over his role as the primary author of the healthcare law.

A messy rollout of the law's major provisions, months before Baucus faces voters, could feed into the GOP's criticism.

Wednesday's hearing wasn't the first time Democrats, including Baucus, have raised concerns about the implementation. But while other lawmakers have toned down their public comments as they've gotten answers from the Health secretary, Baucus said Sebelius has not addressed his fears.

"I'm going to keep on this until I feel a lot better about it," Baucus told Sebelius.

A recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll found deep and persistent misconceptions about the healthcare law. Public awareness was highest for the most politically unpopular provisions, and many people wrongly believed the law contains provisions like a "death panel" to make decisions about end-of-life care.

Enrollment in the healthcare law's insurance exchanges is slated to begin in October, for coverage that begins in January. Baucus, though, said he's worried exchanges won't be ready in time.

"For the marketplaces to work, people need to know about them," he said. "People need to know their options and how to enroll."