Author Topic: Universal background checks  (Read 691 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Universal background checks
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »
If liberals think they're required to exercise a constitutional right (second amendment) then I assume they're OK with them with regards to exercising another constitutional right in voting.

Confirm/Deny?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Re: Universal background checks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
If liberals think they're required to exercise a constitutional right (second amendment) then I assume they're OK with them with regards to exercising another constitutional right in voting.

Confirm/Deny?

That's racist!

lol

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »

Confirm/Deny?

No, consistency amongst libtards?  Absolutely not.

It's always 'different' when they want something.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
Not a liberal, but I'll chime in with my $0.02:

I'm not opposed to background checks when purchasing a weapon (although, it depends on what those checks entail. Verifying the buyer isn't a convicted felon, for example, is a-ok with me).

I'm also not opposed to having to prove your identity prior to voting provided that they apply equally to everyone.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »

I'm not opposed to background checks when purchasing a weapon (although, it depends on what those checks entail. Verifying the buyer isn't a convicted felon, for example, is a-ok with me).

I'm also not opposed to having to prove your identity prior to voting provided that they apply equally to everyone.

This. It's all in the details.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
This. It's all in the details.

Don't quote me, but I think NICS checks legal/criminal stuff, mental health, and I think dishonorable discharges....I could be off though.

As important IMO, is that I do know, NICS has an appeal process.

Try getting off the no-fly list...good luck with that!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »

Not a flame of any kind.... but I'm curious. How is it that preventing a convicted felon from voting or possessing a firearm not an infringement against their 2nd amendment rights? I'm asking you because you seem like a pretty intelligent & articulate guy. I never quite understood that part of it.
w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »
You abdicate your 2nd Amendment rights having committed a felony......public safety/public good etc etc.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
You abdicate your 2nd Amendment rights having committed a felony......public safety/public good etc etc.

What is considered a felony offense? What separates a felony from any other crime?

When one commits a crime, does it not impact public safety/ public good?
w

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:06:36 PM »
What is considered a felony offense? What separates a felony from any other crime?

When one commits a crime, does it not impact public safety/ public good?

Murder, rape, believing anything your dumb Canadian ass posts, robbery, kidnapping, etc.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »

Murder, rape, believing anything your dumb Canadian ass posts, robbery, kidnapping, etc.

LOL.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
Not a flame of any kind.... but I'm curious. How is it that preventing a convicted felon from voting or possessing a firearm not an infringement against their 2nd amendment rights? I'm asking you because you seem like a pretty intelligent & articulate guy. I never quite understood that part of it.

Interesting question - I could argue it from a number of angles. For my money the argument that when someone chooses to commit a felony he chooses to voluntarily forfeit his right to own a firearm is pretty strong. It's similar to how you forfeit your right to be free and end up in jail when you commit crimes.

However I don't believe that my variation of the argument has ever been tested in Court. As such, it's just theoretical.

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that Courts have leveraged the "almighty congress clause" also known as the interstate commerce clause of the Constitution in ruling this particular Federal law constitutional.

Personally, I find most interstate commerce clause based decisions to be fairly weak, often so weak that they don't pass the giggle test. But the precedent is there and the ICC is so broad that it lends itself to just about anything. That's why Courts use it.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »

A felony is what the law defines as a felony. Typically, however, felonies involve violence.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
A felony is what the law defines as a felony. Typically, however, felonies involve violence.

Thank you.  :)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

Wow, ...I'm really in your head huh? You poor thing. I hope your life gets more... interesting.  :-\
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
guns cost SO MUCH MORE when you buy them from a stranger at a gun show. 

guns are readily available to those who are legally able to buy. 

I don't like the loophole.  Fifty terrorists could attend 10 gun shows and leave with enough AK-47s to mow down a shopping mall.  :(

I can understand "I dont want anyone knowing who i am"... but maybe just a background check - Zero felons can even ENTER the gun show?  Therefore any private exchanges are between people without 5 felony charges or perhaps on a terr'ist watchlist? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »

Confirm/Deny?

You make a valid point.

I am against both, but I always have been.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
I feel bad for the guy who released 3 heart shaped balloons on the beach to tell his girlfriend he loves her.

He is facing felony charges for environmental pollution. no wonder there are so many gay men. You tell a girl you love her, ...and you end up facing 20 yrs in prison, and never being allowed to vote or carry a firearm, ...and the public is ok with that because ... "he's a felon". And then there's the guy who taped police officers in public going about their duties. He is facing felony charges that could land him in jail for up to 70 years.

Then there is the adult who had $6500 worth of his legally licensed & registered firearms seized, because his 10 yr old son was being bullied and joked about squirting his bullies with a water pistol. The cops just came and took his guns out of his gun safe, ...and told him, he can have them back when his son turns 18.  ::)
w