Author Topic: Did Paul Bearer's death save the Undertaker's WrestleMania streak?  (Read 5056 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Rumors were swirling about Punk-Undertaker, fighting at WrestleMania (before Punk won that 4-way to earn the right to face 'Taker) and the legitimate likelihood of Punk's ending the streak.

Then, Paul Bearer passes away. Do any of you think Bearer's death stacked the deck, to ensure the Deadman remained unbeaten at the big dance?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Did Paul Bearer's death save the Undertaker's WrestleMania streak?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:38 AM »
I know that a lot of people are predicting and expecting Taker to eventually "pass the torch" when the time is right - much the way Andre did with Hogan. I'm not so convinced.

The Undertaker is 100% a Vince McMahon creation. Vince's ego is huge, and he's very proud of that character. Not many of his original creations have had the longevity and success of the Undertaker; not to mention Calloway's unwavering loyalty to the Federation.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vince and Mark retire the Undertaker with the Mania record in tact.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
I know that a lot of people are predicting and expecting Taker to eventually "pass the torch" when the time is right - much the way Andre did with Hogan. I'm not so convinced.

The Undertaker is 100% a Vince McMahon creation. Vince's ego is huge, and he's very proud of that character. Not many of his original creations have had the longevity and success of the Undertaker; not to mention Calloway's unwavering loyalty to the Federation.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vince and Mark retire the Undertaker with the Mania record in tact.
X2.

Montague

• Getbig V

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »

I love your new avatar. ;D
:D the man right there, king of junk talking... ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
If taker wasn't going to lose to HBK or HHH, he won't lose to anyone.

That's just the way it works.

I think Paul Bearer's death gave some actual heat to a match which had none is all... They had zero story before then, and Moody passing was one of the few ways to get some heel heat for Punk.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
:D the man right there, king of junk talking... ;D

Flair was AMAZING to the fans who were mature and sophisticated enough to understand and appreciate him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
If taker wasn't going to lose to HBK or HHH, he won't lose to anyone.

That's just the way it works.

I think Paul Bearer's death gave some actual heat to a match which had none is all... They had zero story before then, and Moody passing was one of the few ways to get some heel heat for Punk.

Good points. Even if his passing had no impact on the match's outcome, it certainly did provide a heat source for Punk.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Remember this thread from last year? Looking back at this (and what just happened this year at 'Mania), it makes me wonder if what I said last year had any validity.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »
Remember this thread from last year? Looking back at this (and what just happened this year at 'Mania), it makes me wonder if what I said last year had any validity.

I have to eat my words anyway... I said he would never lose... and I'm an idiot for saying so.

I can not believe they have HHH and HBK do a job, but Lesnar gets the W.

I am dumbfounded and a buffoon.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
I have to eat my words anyway... I said he would never lose... and I'm an idiot for saying so.

I can not believe they have HHH and HBK do a job, but Lesnar gets the W.

I am dumbfounded and a buffoon.

Also looking back, I saw a video on YouTube with Kurt Angle, on why he left WWE. Angle claims that 'Taker wanted him to end the streak. But, McMahon wasn't having it. So, the deal was to have Angle beat him at No Way Out; and Undertaker got fed Mark Henry at 'Mania, instead.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
I have to eat my words anyway... I said he would never lose... and I'm an idiot for saying so. I am dumbfounded and a buffoon.

Don't feel that way, dude.

Most people didn't expect this match to go down the way it did.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »

Don't feel that way, dude.

Most people didn't expect this match to go down the way it did.

Understatement of the century, brother!!!

If what Kurt Angle said was true, why couldn't Vinny Mac put the kabosh on this finish as he did to the WM22 deal?

Again, what does 'Taker have left? He never got to be the 'face' of the company. He never got to be champion for a long time (I think his second WWF title reign was his longest, all of 5 months). And, in the era where the elites get double-digit world title reigns, 'Taker got hosed there. The streak separated him from Hogan, Austin, Rock, Michaels, Hart, Hemsley, Cena, Orton, et. al.

The streak was more precious than any of his title reigns and now it's gone. It just sucks (even though it was Undertaker's call to go out like this).

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
I just can't help it... Him losing to Lesnar is just beyond my comprehension.

I could have handled HBK or HHH... The Rock even... There's just people I could have seen it going to... but Lesnar?!

I mean, when Hogan got Andre... it was a passing of the torch.

UT isn't passing anything to anyone... Lesnar is never going to be a Legend.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I just can't help it... Him losing to Lesnar is just beyond my comprehension.

I could have handled HBK or HHH... The Rock even... There's just people I could have seen it going to... but Lesnar?!

I mean, when Hogan got Andre... it was a passing of the torch.

UT isn't passing anything to anyone... Lesnar is never going to be a Legend.

I wouldn't go that far. But, at this point and time, Lesnar is a bad choice. As I've stated repeatedly, 'Taker could have passed the torch to Lesnar without losing (just as Bret Hart did with Steve Austin).

A cheap roll-up, inside-cradle pin for 'Taker (followed by Lesnar beating the holy hell out of 'Taker) would have been PERFECT!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
Im glad the streak bullshit is over. Undertaker proved himself and left his mark. Hes too fucking old. At 49...going bald and with two hip replacements, two knee surgeries, a shoulder surgery and now a stage 2 concussion with a neck injury, its time to say goodbye. 
Not to mention the streak got wayyyyy to predictable.  The element of surprise was gone. Why watch the match or better still spend money to watch if you know whos gonna win? Its one thing if your 12 years old....another if your a full grown adult.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
I realize that Flair and Hogan and others wrestled FOREVER but I don't think there is another wrestler whose longitivity i can relate to like Mark Calloways. I mean I was in third grade watching him as Mean Mark Callous in the USWA.

I'm sure there are others whose tenure makes his look small by comparison but when you start off as a small boy watching a guy then see him still going at it a quarter century later, it really hits home on a personal level just how long this guy has been at it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
I realize that Flair and Hogan and others wrestled FOREVER but I don't think there is another wrestler whose longitivity i can relate to like Mark Calloways. I mean I was in third grade watching him as Mean Mark Callous in the USWA.

I'm sure there are others whose tenure makes his look small by comparison but when you start off as a small boy watching a guy then see him still going at it a quarter century later, it really hits home on a personal level just how long this guy has been at it.

Even Vince himself has gone on record expressing his amazement at Taker's longevity - and that was just in reference to his time in the Fed!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »

Hogan and Flair are in a category of there own. They are the two biggest names associated with wreztling over the last four decades.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »

Even Vince himself has gone on record expressing his amazement at Taker's longevity - and that was just in reference to his time in the Fed!

Especially when you consider his size.

Of course Andre was massive and Hogan wasn't tiny by any stretch.

I haven't really watched wrestling much since the attitude era, that's why I tend to steer clear of the more recently related threads but how would you say Taker held up performance wise towards the end versus the other bigger type fellas who put in longer careers?

I mean Andre dead by his late 40s and I seen footage of Hogan damn near on a walker so it's gotta be tough.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
Especially when you consider his size.

Of course Andre was massive and Hogan wasn't tiny by any stretch.

I haven't really watched wrestling much since the attitude era, that's why I tend to steer clear of the more recently related threads but how would you say Taker held up performance wise towards the end versus the other bigger type fellas who put in longer careers?

I mean Andre dead by his late 40s and I seen footage of Hogan damn near on a walker so it's gotta be tough.

Taker's only been working one match per year for a while, and is now at the point where even that is apparently too much for him. I think the job is tougher on bigger guys in general.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »

Taker's only been working one match per year for a while, and is now at the point where even that is apparently too much for him. I think the job is tougher on bigger guys in general.
Not to mention hes stealing the  spot on the card that could/should be going to a guy like Punk. 1,000,000 pay out for one match and the smalll 4 week buildup leadi g to it.....wow....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »
Im glad the streak bullshit is over. Undertaker proved himself and left his mark. Hes too fucking old. At 49...going bald and with two hip replacements, two knee surgeries, a shoulder surgery and now a stage 2 concussion with a neck injury, its time to say goodbye.  
Not to mention the streak got wayyyyy to predictable.  The element of surprise was gone. Why watch the match or better still spend money to watch if you know whos gonna win? Its one thing if your 12 years old....another if your a full grown adult.

You're not making a lot of sense on this one.

WrestleManias have long been predictable. That doesn't mean they aren't good.

WrestleMania 5: As if we didn't know Hogan was going to beat Savage

WrestleMania 7: Same thing with Hogan vs. Slaughter

Basically in the 90s, if the WWF champion was a heel and/or the challenger was a face, the champ was going DOWN.

And did anyone really believe Orton or Batista was going to walk out champion this year? Or Rock would retain the title last year?

THAT is predictable.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
Not to mention hes stealing the  spot on the card that could/should be going to a guy like Punk. 1,000,000 pay out for one match and the smalll 4 week buildup leadi g to it.....wow....

Punk got a spot on the card with 'Taker last year and the match was great. He had a spot the year before as champion. Punk has had plenty of spots at 'Mania, which include two consecutive Money-In-The-Bank wins (granted, one was due to Jeff Hardy's suspension), and has hardly been held back by the Deadman.

In fact, when Punk lost the title to Rock, his match with Undertaker was basically a main-event match . The streak thing often equalled or topped the title matches (unless 'Taker was challenging for a belt), particularly over four of the last six WrestleManias: 25, 26, 27, 29.

WM25: Michaels-Taker was the big match, not the WWE title match with Orton and Helmsley.

WM26: Michaels-Taker rematch (Streak vs. Career); main event (over both title matches)

WM27: Taker vs. Helmsley; the consensus was that salvaged the show; people weren't high about the Miz-Cena title match.

WM29: Everybody and their mammy knew Cena was beating Rock for the title (that predictability thing of which you speak). Punk vs.Taker stole the show, with honorable mention to Jericho vs. Fandango.

That's the very reason for my thread. Rumors were running wild that Punk would break the streak. But, I figured if they were going to put Punk over the Deadman, Paul Bearer's death put the kabosh on that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »
Mcway....ITS FAKE. Get a grip and quit fucking sparring with people FFS. Your not 12 yrs old.