Author Topic: Those who can, do  (Read 2088 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Those who can, do
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
Those who can't teach.   :P

Anyone think there is a kernel of truth here?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Those who can, do
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
Depends.  Coaches, more often than not were mediocre athletes.  Those involved in the arts, sometimes.  A lot of notable people involved in the arts get paid big money to teach courses.
A

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Often it it. Though, there are a lot of cases where those who teach have already done.

That being said, I don't think there's really any shame in teaching about a subject instead of pursuing it. Depending on the situation, being someone who "can" doesn't really  mean having the most knowledge on a subject or the most discipline or the best ideas.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Those who can't teach.   :P

Anyone think there is a kernel of truth here?
I dont think so, most of the professors I have had are adjuncts of ppl who have retired and teach as a way of getting income, passing time or just b.c they enjoy it.

I think especially in colleges though they should institute a rule that professors have to have a certain number of years experience in the field they are teaching. Education is all fine and dandy but it doesnt replace first hand experience.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
I dont think so, most of the professors I have had are adjuncts

::) Professor Hubert Farnsworth isn't an actual professor. He's just a cartoon character.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
It depends upon the individual.  Some teachers are the most highly-sought consultants in their fields (and often even wider fields, and greater areas), while others sleepwalk through from paycheck to paycheck, couldn't give shit less, and are practically worthless.

Teaching, itself, is a most noble pursuit.  Some individuals may place a higher value on fulfilling the gift of teaching, than to chase every thin dime that presents itself along the way.  When you are merely a dime-chaser, you have become a caricature of yourself, and may be considered even more worthless than a bad teacher.

Like everything else in life, it comes down to the individual.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
I dont think so, most of the professors I have had are adjuncts of ppl who have retired and teach as a way of getting income, passing time or just b.c they enjoy it.

I think especially in colleges though they should institute a rule that professors have to have a certain number of years experience in the field they are teaching. Education is all fine and dandy but it doesnt replace first hand experience.

My wife can do and can teach, as she's a nursing professor at a small college.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

In this respect it's better to be taught by those who have.  In matters of health I'd prefer someone like your wife who has experience teaching future nurses.
A

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

Yea, I think this is less applicable at the college/university level.

My grad school instructors were all experienced save one.  And who would've guessed, but the one with no real world experience let her political views get in the way.

The one professor I had was very open and upfront in that he loved big government and felt there should be more of it.  But when it came to academics, he was completely unbiased.  Not a single assignment or paper that was questionable.  Learned a lot from him.

The hard sciences as well given that many of the profs can teach and work at the school.

High School....a whole other world.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »

ha...yeah, definitely want someone with experience doing that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
teaching is an interesting career.

There are MANY mediocre people in teaching - they  get tenure and find a place to hide.  Obese, lazy, entitled.

Many talented people love teaching, but 1/2 of the people who graduate with teaching degrees are working in another field in 7 years.  They burn out, or they just want to make more than a standard salary.

I taught for 7 years total.  I was so bored and confined that I went back and got my MBA and decided to work for myself.  I would/could go back to teaching if circumstances demanded it, but I'm happier not doing it.

SO there may be some truth to it... but GOOD teachers rock, and if they can manage a classroom and get good results/scores, they can usually rock at a lot of jobs.  Running an office is WAY easier than running a classroom.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »
Sort of an overstatement.

I think the best teachers at the post-secondary level are those who have spent time working in the field.  No substitute for real world experience. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:41 PM »
Sort of an overstatement.

I think the best teachers at the post-secondary level are those who have spent time working in the field.  No substitute for real world experience. 

Indeed!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
::) Professor Hubert Farnsworth isn't an actual professor. He's just a cartoon character.
LOL anytime boss, you pick the mod Ill send them my license and degrees and when they confirm it you leave getbig...

PS hubert farnsworth is the shit!!!

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
LOL anytime boss, you pick the mod Ill send them my license and degrees and when they confirm it you leave getbig...

PS hubert farnsworth is the shit!!!

Retardo, I offered to leave getbig for you yesterday if you could post proof
supporting one of your idiot claims. You then proceeded to post a video that literally
made the opposite argument of what you were trying to prove. When I posted a detailed
explanation of why it  proved the opposite, you  claimed you weresick of doing other people's research and stormed off like a little bitch. It's obvious you're sick of doing research, as you can barely make it through a 7-minute video to see if whether or not it actually supports
your POV  :-\

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
i think it also depends on the field one is in.  most of my accounting professors had their own practices and were just teaching to start the transition into academia.  the grind of pleasing clients every day year in and year out for 20 or so wear on us after a while and teaching is a nice way to stay in the field but not have to deal with the bullshit.  I am seriously considering this route in 10-15 years myself.  you can get a decent paycheck.  take sabbaticals and work as an independent contractor and use that work to use as research for the accounting department at the University.  works out nicely.