Author Topic: Interesting read on Munzer's last year and days  (Read 60023 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Interesting read on Munzer's last year and days
« on: December 18, 2005, 06:58:09 PM »
The Munich Andi would play the zugzwang. He hit some heavy cycles: he injected two ampoules of testosterone a day; he took the oral steroids Halotestin and Anabol; he combined them with Masteron and Parabolan; he used between four and 24 units of the growth hormone STH. Steroids aided muscle repair and general recovery; they allowed him to train with greater intensity. He combined different steroid types to maximum effect. He found that STH, the synthetic growth hormone, mimicked human growth hormone; it made everything grow - muscles, bones, organs, tissues. He ate 6-8,000 calories a day to nourish his muscles. He used insulin to stimulate his metabolism and churn the calories more quickly; he used at least five aspirin tablets each morning to thin his blood and help with the pain of training; he used ephedrine and Captagon to increase his intensity on the weights.

Fifteen weeks or so from competition, he would begin a rigorous diet designed to reduce his body fat. He would come down to 2,000 calories a day. In the days and hours before a show he used Aldactone and Lasix, both diuretics, to rid himself of the last of his water. Most pros would get close to competition shape once or twice a year. Anything else demanded too much; Andi maintained a reputation for always being in shape, or close to it.

The stomach pains had begun some months before Andi went to Columbus, Ohio, for the 1996 Arnold Classic. At first it was just more pain, and pain was the currency of muscle. Andi paid it little heed. It dug in and nestled down with all the other pain: the agonies of training, the banal deprivations of dieting down, the pulls, nicks, strains, jags and twists of the gym. But it kept coming back and its payload was different. A connoisseur of pain like Andi would soon have been able to tell. He would have been able to recognise it and rank it as something special in the pain game, something more exotic than the stuff he usually bore. He began to mention it to friends at the gym. He tried some health cures that would strengthen his stomach lining. Perhaps if Andi had quit training then, if he had turned away from the withering deprivations of another round of competition and stopped juicing he might have survived. Instead, the boy from Pack made himself ready to compete in front of the boy from Thal, in front of his hero.

After his sixth place at the Arnold Classic on 2 March 1996, Andi's mood remained low. 'Man, why don't you laugh?' a German official had said. 'You're the best white guy behind five Negroes.' Andi was never going to laugh at that. Best white guy. Best German speaker. All of the pain and deprivation, all of the gym seminars and pain-filled nights for those worthless epithets.

On the morning of 13 March, Andi's stomach pains became intense. His gut was swollen and hard. His bill had come in. He was fairly sure that this time he couldn't meet it. The debt was too big. The agony grew.

He was taken to hospital. Doctors there diagnosed the bleed, but could not prevent it continuing. He was transferred to the University Clinic. At 7pm, surgeons decided to operate to stop the bleeding inside Andi's stomach. Andi came through the operation, but his problems had multiplied catastrophically. His blood was viscous and slow-moving. His potassium levels were excessively high. He had been dehydrated by the diuretics he used in the days before his last competitions. His liver was melting. A post-mortem would find that it had dissolved almost completely. Andi's body went into shock. After his liver failed, his kidneys did too. He was offered a blood transfusion, but it was too late. Andi's heart held out for a while - he had always had a big heart - but by morning Munzer had joined the ranks of the bodybuilding dead.

Arnold Schwarzenegger sent a wreath from Hollywood to Andi's grave in Styria. The message was simple. It read: 'A last greeting to a friend.'

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Interesting read on Munzer's last year and days
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 07:00:25 PM »
http://www.ergogenics.org/arn6.html

Here is the source.  Long, and a sad read. But really makes you wonder what drives competitors to go to such extremes. RIP Munzer  :'(

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 07:02:09 PM »
'Man, why don't you laugh?' a German official had said. 'You're the best white guy behind five Negroes.'
;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 07:07:26 PM »
what did he expect? he took a rediculous amount of stuff, by the time of death his liver has almost COMPLETELY DISSOLVED....he either had a mental disorder or was a dumbass

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 12:18:54 AM »
and all this for some shitty muscles.
to be honest, i'd rather be skinny again and live healthy till i'm 100 years old.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 12:21:48 AM »
and all this for some shitty muscles.
to be honest, i'd rather be skinny again and live healthy till i'm 100 years old.

It was obviously a slippery slope of escalating commitments for Munzer. I'm sure it was difficult for him to fully realize how far out of control his drug use had become.
Sultan

TonyNuthian

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 03:55:18 AM »
The drugs are here to stay for sure but for crying out loud, this is just insane!

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0224069675/qid=1135034874/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-3079902-8010534?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The best account of Munzer's last days was in Jon Hotten's book, MUSCLE.  You should be aware that the book is by an investigative British journalist who has no particular regard for bodybuilding, & some of what he writes about the field is pretty hostile.  Munzer is used as an example of what pro competition has spawned. 

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 04:31:54 PM »
Some people should not be bodybuilders.  If they rely on that many drugs to get their body in the shape, its not bodybuilding, its body destroying.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 04:36:50 PM »
http://www.ergogenics.org/arn6.html

Here is the source.  Long, and a sad read. But really makes you wonder what drives competitors to go to such extremes. RIP Munzer  :'(

Nice post 240.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 05:27:39 PM »
Why haven't more people talked about the specific contents of that book on the boards? 

Alexander Sturm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 01:44:17 PM »
@donkeykong

And what makes you believe you can look like Münzer did ?  ???
No way my friend, not with all drugs on earth.

You prefer being skinny, others choose a different way and not all of them die that young.

Being on top means no compromises and we all know how many people in all professions have severe health problems on the way to the top and die before reaching it. 

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 02:20:32 PM »
The Munich Andi would play the zugzwang. He hit some heavy cycles: he injected two ampoules of testosterone a day; he took the oral steroids Halotestin and Anabol; he combined them with Masteron and Parabolan; he used between four and 24 units of the growth hormone STH. Steroids aided muscle repair and general recovery; they allowed him to train with greater intensity. He combined different steroid types to maximum effect. He found that STH, the synthetic growth hormone, mimicked human growth hormone; it made everything grow - muscles, bones, organs, tissues. He ate 6-8,000 calories a day to nourish his muscles. He used insulin to stimulate his metabolism and churn the calories more quickly; he used at least five aspirin tablets each morning to thin his blood and help with the pain of training; he used ephedrine and Captagon to increase his intensity on the weights.

Fifteen weeks or so from competition, he would begin a rigorous diet designed to reduce his body fat. He would come down to 2,000 calories a day. In the days and hours before a show he used Aldactone and Lasix, both diuretics, to rid himself of the last of his water. Most pros would get close to competition shape once or twice a year. Anything else demanded too much; Andi maintained a reputation for always being in shape, or close to it.

The stomach pains had begun some months before Andi went to Columbus, Ohio, for the 1996 Arnold Classic. At first it was just more pain, and pain was the currency of muscle. Andi paid it little heed. It dug in and nestled down with all the other pain: the agonies of training, the banal deprivations of dieting down, the pulls, nicks, strains, jags and twists of the gym. But it kept coming back and its payload was different. A connoisseur of pain like Andi would soon have been able to tell. He would have been able to recognise it and rank it as something special in the pain game, something more exotic than the stuff he usually bore. He began to mention it to friends at the gym. He tried some health cures that would strengthen his stomach lining. Perhaps if Andi had quit training then, if he had turned away from the withering deprivations of another round of competition and stopped juicing he might have survived. Instead, the boy from Pack made himself ready to compete in front of the boy from Thal, in front of his hero.

After his sixth place at the Arnold Classic on 2 March 1996, Andi's mood remained low. 'Man, why don't you laugh?' a German official had said. 'You're the best white guy behind five Negroes.' Andi was never going to laugh at that. Best white guy. Best German speaker. All of the pain and deprivation, all of the gym seminars and pain-filled nights for those worthless epithets.

On the morning of 13 March, Andi's stomach pains became intense. His gut was swollen and hard. His bill had come in. He was fairly sure that this time he couldn't meet it. The debt was too big. The agony grew.

He was taken to hospital. Doctors there diagnosed the bleed, but could not prevent it continuing. He was transferred to the University Clinic. At 7pm, surgeons decided to operate to stop the bleeding inside Andi's stomach. Andi came through the operation, but his problems had multiplied catastrophically. His blood was viscous and slow-moving. His potassium levels were excessively high. He had been dehydrated by the diuretics he used in the days before his last competitions. His liver was melting. A post-mortem would find that it had dissolved almost completely. Andi's body went into shock. After his liver failed, his kidneys did too. He was offered a blood transfusion, but it was too late. Andi's heart held out for a while - he had always had a big heart - but by morning Munzer had joined the ranks of the bodybuilding dead.

Arnold Schwarzenegger sent a wreath from Hollywood to Andi's grave in Styria. The message was simple. It read: 'A last greeting to a friend.'

Thanks Rob, I posted that same article about a year ago. ::)
W

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 02:22:59 PM »
Thanks Rob, I posted that same article about a year ago. ::)

The new blood needs to know the truth.

I'm going to come to your house and kick your dog for making such a comment.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »
@donkeykong

And what makes you believe you can look like Münzer did ?  ???
No way my friend, not with all drugs on earth.

You prefer being skinny, others choose a different way and not all of them die that young.

Being on top means no compromises and we all know how many people in all professions have severe health problems on the way to the top and die before reaching it. 

I never said i could look like Münzer. I just said that it is foolish and sick to put more chemicals into your body just to become more muscular.

Der Andreas war ein toller Bodybuilder, und einer der trockensten die es je gab, aber es ist einfach schade um ihn. Es waere besser gewesen, er haette weniger Zeugs genommen und waere noch am Leben.
Die Relationen zwischen Roids und gesundem Menschenverstand stimmen bei Muenzer einfach nicht mehr.
Deswegen sag ich ja, ich bin lieber duenn oder nicht so trocken, aber dafuer leb ich noch ein paar Jahre laenger.

Gruss

DonkeyKong

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:16 PM »
'Man, why don't you laugh?' 'You're the best white guy behind five Negroes.'

Man that's cruel AND hilarious, no wonder Andi Od'd on the sauce ;D

Alexander Sturm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »
Tja. Manche leben nach der Devise:"Alles oder nichts!"

Meiner Meinung nach braucht die Menschheit solche "Grenzgäguy", die die Grenzen des Möglichen immer weiter verschieben, in allen Bereichen. Gäbe es solche Charaktere nicht säßen wir wahrscheinlich immer noch auf Bäumen, weil sich keiner runter wagt. Schade um ihn, im Grunde ergibt aber alles einen Sinn.   

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »
The new blood needs to know the truth.

I'm going to come to your house and kick your dog for making such a comment.

Careful, my dog outweighs you bro.
W

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:59 PM »
Good post 240.Was very interesting.I find that it was a shame that Munzer passed (as it is when anyone does) because I always found him to be an underrated pro in the IFBB.Guy had a great build I thought w/very few if any weaknesses.Just didn't have the size of the mass monsters which I feel is the only thing that held him back from winning the major shows.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 07:15:32 PM »
Good post 240.Was very interesting.I find that it was a shame that Munzer passed (as it is when anyone does) because I always found him to be an underrated pro in the IFBB.Guy had a great build I thought w/very few if any weaknesses.Just didn't have the size of the mass monsters which I feel is the only thing that held him back from winning the major shows.

Dude was definintely determined.  Knew he'd die young too.  Kinda crazy.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 07:18:12 PM »

Im not so sure. He had the mass comparable to the guys who were winning the shows in my opinion. This pictures are not against anybody but he had the mass imo. RIP

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 07:20:09 PM »
Have to remember who the guys he was competing against. Yates/Ray/Levrone/Wheeler/etc etc

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »
Have to remember who the guys he was competing against. Yates/Ray/Levrone/Wheeler/etc etc

Yeah, he competed at the highest level of bb. The competition was never tougher than the mid-90s
Sultan

stomper

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 03:57:29 AM »
definately not worth although he always looked awesome

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 05:49:28 AM »
Im not so sure. He had the mass comparable to the guys who were winning the shows in my opinion. This pictures are not against anybody but he had the mass imo. RIP

still looked alot better than Gustavo Guy