Author Topic: Any atheists read The Bible/Book of Mormon/Quran  (Read 4027 times)

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Re: Any atheists read The Bible/Book of Mormon/Quran
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
why only the New Testament?

Also, I already had some idea what the OT was about. Now I'm all for smiting and being vengeful etc., but I've learned it gets me in trouble. So I was only interested in the peaceful later words ascribed to that deity, not the preceding, totally contradictory material.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
Why are you people "going back to the bible"?  There is nothing in it worth a shit.  Its nothing but violence and nonsense?  You want your child to be a Violent, Superstitious Moron???

Lol, no, but there are probably some good stories in there to help with development. A lot of subliminal things that are in media and everywhere for that matter. I was in the pediatricians this morning and a movie/cartoon was on about a baby sea turtle and there was pollution everywhere in the ocean. He got his head caught on a bag and couldn't breathe. I can only imagine that it's there to get your kid to not litter in the ocean, which is a good thing. On the bible, I find that type of history fascinating. I took my honeymoon to Italy and Germany, and we did the crypts and catacombs tours. You see these different religious relics, and it's quite interesting. They talked about a pagan god, mattras(sp?) that had essentially the same back story as Jesus, but for some reason, Christianity survived and paganism didn't.  The world is a fascinating place, and I just want to learn all I can about it.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
???
Why would you bother doing this?  ???

Mainly to better state my point on why I believe what I believe.  I can't just say I think the bible is a book of fiction. Better yet a comedy at that. I need better references.

I don't believe in Santa or the Easter bunny but I still might play along with that game with my child.

To make matters more complex my family is Jewish.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Lol, no, but there are probably some good stories in there to help with development. A lot of subliminal things that are in media and everywhere for that matter. I was in the pediatricians this morning and a movie/cartoon was on about a baby sea turtle and there was pollution everywhere in the ocean. He got his head caught on a bag and couldn't breathe. I can only imagine that it's there to get your kid to not litter in the ocean, which is a good thing. On the bible, I find that type of history fascinating. I took my honeymoon to Italy and Germany, and we did the crypts and catacombs tours. You see these different religious relics, and it's quite interesting. They talked about a pagan god, mattras(sp?) that had essentially the same back story as Jesus, but for some reason, Christianity survived and paganism didn't.  The world is a fascinating place, and I just want to learn all I can about it.

Aesop`s Fables and James Thurber`s Fables of Our Time are much better than the bible.  Don`t ruin your child with that nonsense in the bible.

Here:

The Peacelike Mongoose

by James Thurber

In cobra country a mongoose was born one day who didn't want to fight cobras or anything else. The word spread from mongoose to mongoose that there was a mongoose who didn't want to fight cobras. If he didn't want to fight anything else, it was his own business, but it was the duty of every mongoose to kill cobras or be killed by cobras.
"Why?" asked the peacelike mongoose, and the word went around that the strange new mongoose was not only pro-cobra and anti-mongoose but intellectually curious and against the ideals and traditions of mongooism.
"He is crazy," cried the young mongoose's father.
"He is sick," said his mother.
"He is a coward," shouted his brothers.
"He is a mongoosexual," whispered his sisters.
Strangers who had never laid eyes on the peacelike mongoose remembered that they had seen him crawling on his stomach, or trying on cobra hoods, or plotting the violent overthrow of Mongoosia.
"I am trying to use reason and intelligence," said the strange new mongoose.
"Reason is six-sevenths of treason," said one of his neighbors.
"Intelligence is what the enemy uses," said another.
Finally, the rumor spread that the mongoose had venom in his sting, like a cobra, and he was tried, convicted by a show of paws, and condemned to banishment.

Moral: Ashes to ashes, and clay to clay, if the enemy doesn't get you your own folks may.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
Actually anyone who reads the Quran, with an open mind, and puts in the extra research to understand it's verses, knows that it is simply not possible for that book to be anything other than revelation from God.

I have found having a serious religious discussion with most atheist is simply an exercise in futility. Some may have certain verses or historical facts memorized, but they lack a real comprehension of what they are reading.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
Actually anyone who reads the Quran, with an open mind, and puts in the extra research to understand it's verses, knows that it is simply not possible for that book to be anything other than revelation from God.
If your god is incapable of writing clearly, I'd doubt his complete skill set.

AR.2007

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
If your god is incapable of writing clearly, I'd doubt his complete skill set.

its, not that what is written cannot be understood, but rather the READER cannot fully and deeply understand ALL of a certian verses meaning. for example you might get 1 or 2 out of 100 diffrent hidden meanings and lessons/wisdom a certain verse may contain. you could spend a few hours studying one verse to get a true understanding of what it is saying. thats why there are scholars who dedicate their lives to studying the Quran.

only a VERY small portion of the Quran is about Do's an Do nots. the rest is very imporant stories, which the human being should reflect upon.

Quran constantly tells humans to reflect and even challenges the reader.

hence why the average man should read the Quran, then go read a Tasfir.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »
Hey true anus, when are you going to get your VHEMT's member card, mister "kids are disgusting"  ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_human_extinction_movement

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
The Quran actually makes several scientific claims that could not have been known without today's technology (microscopes, telescopes, etc).